What the fans want...2011

What current caption judges the " singers " and the " rock guitarists ", anyway ? Anybody here know ?

I'd imagine ensemble does, but that's pretty much about it

This is such a great read, if I was in charge this is where I would start to look to get ready for the great 2011 season that is upon us. What we as fans want is important IMO, and with a little nudge by all of us some things just may come to the for front of an activity that most of us love, I hope. I read all the posts this morning seeing that this is the last day of 2010 and am impressed at how this thread never turned into a flamming quagmire that many threads move to. Cant thank the powers that be here on DCP enough for giving us an all year long outlet for our special activity, Drum and Bugle Corps! As a fan I want nothing more than this activity of ours to become huge, to be a must see product, thats what I want and I think that is what I am going to get in 2011. This may be the year to buy finals tickets early if you want to get in the gates, I know I wont be waiting until the last minute, its been a long time and this will be the year I go back. See you all on the 50 if you can find a seat.

Peace!

At first I wonder if anything that I love about drum corps would change if "entertainment/ fan friendliness" caption is added to the judging sheets...

Would the shows I love now in the past every have been created with this new caption? Would the shows I love have been better? or worse? Would shows end up clique so they can snag the fan friendliness caption...

I want shows to be entertaining and fan friendly... but I fear that if we do make that a judged caption then I feel it will be more restricting and will deter corps from trying risky things because they are worried that they won't get points in the entertainment caption.

... doesn't anyone else feel that an entertainment caption can do more harm than good in the long run?

I think its a silly notion to add a "fan friendliness" caption in general.

The main reason, is who decides the criteria? And what are those criteria?

If we look at DCP, then the only thing that will get any point is a standstill arc playing malaguena (again).

People say they are angry because "un-fan-friendly" shows are winning from time to time... but hey, IM a fan! do I not count? Just because spectator A and spectator B have different opinions, how do they decide?

I cant think of a less reliable method of judging than that.

I once judged a "Battle of the Bands" and the head of the organization was a well noted producer and he specifically mentioned that we should eliminate the "Crowd response" caption on the standard judging sheet because it would encourage

groups that brought the most spectators or groups doing ridiculous things just to get a response and would take away from the real criteria. I agree wholeheartedly.

Some people will say "Applause-o-meter". Again, we will have people doing silly things just to draw a reaction, not to mention that we would have to outlaw "home town" shows for the season. DCI would also have to regulate how many fans

each corps members brings in because everyone knows that their son/daughter/friend/nephew/neice/cousin are in the BEST corps. I remember a buddy of mine once brought in 35 spectators to a show in Maryland. Impressive # but under a "Fan friendly"

caption, we would not get honest "evaluations".

Maybe we hand the whole audience a scoresheet? same exact issue. Nobody can (or should) hide their bias. People should go nuts for whoever they want to and it should NOT affect the score.

Until every fan has "Their corps" win, the system will always be "flawed".

"I wanted the ______ to win!!! This system sucks! The judges dont know what their talking about!!!!!" says the average fan.

If you ask Ma and Pa Smith whos son marched 92 Marauders, they just KNOW for a FACT that they were better than the Cavaliers that year. Same with Momma and Poppa Jones whos daughter was in the 1985 Freelancers KNOW for a FACT that Freelancers were better than

Garfield.

In other words, fans are fans because of personal connections at least half of the time. So yeah... its a nice thought, but it aint happenin and rightfully so.

• Like 1

What current caption judges the " singers " and the " rock guitarists ", anyway ? Anybody here know ?

The unnecessary garbage judge. :rolleyes:

no " singers " and the " rock guitarists ",

no high brow shows that make sense to the designers only -see BD 2010

melody.

flow.

color.

real impacts.

shows based on performance, not mirrors , or Jeffries , or a guy playing flugel horn in his pajamas .

No cheese soloists using a mic because they have no sound.

no effects on brass instruments. you ruined a great bari solo bluecoats.

No intermission in shows with less than 8 corps.

no shows with less than 6 corps add OC or seniors .

I'd imagine ensemble does, but that's pretty much about it

Yes, you're probaby right, Jeff.

Nobody seems to really know for certain it appears, though.

I would think a lot of the more current marchers on here would know which judge(s) is judging the " singer soloist(s).... and the " rock guitarist soloist " and just what exactly is being judged with these two performers.

There arn't many sports competitions out there where the recent player does not know the rules of the game.

Maybe somebody here will eventually be able to tell us this important component of the judged competition:

1) what judge(s) judge the singer(s) ?..... and what in the singer is being judged ?

2) what judge(s) judge the rock guitarist ?.. and what in the guitarist is being judged ?

I mean, it seems like such a simple question to have answered, right ?

Edited by BRASSO

no " singers " and the " rock guitarists ",

no high brow shows that make sense to the designers only -see BD 2010

melody.

flow.

color.

real impacts.

shows based on performance, not mirrors , or Jeffries , or a guy playing flugel horn in his pajamas .

No cheese soloists using a mic because they have no sound.

no effects on brass instruments. you ruined a great bari solo bluecoats.

No intermission in shows with less than 8 corps.

no shows with less than 6 corps add OC or seniors .

Oh boy, here we go. I like alot of this.

I want BD to keep the mirrors and do some "Deep Purple" and add smoke generators. It could be the best smoke and mirrors show ever to hit the field! :)

I want BD to keep the mirrors and do some "Deep Purple" and add smoke generators. It could be the best smoke and mirrors show ever to hit the field! :)

Some Corps in the past have been known to provide a disappearing act with props to the conclusion of their performance. What if a corps did a novel approach with disappearing act with the mirrors in the pre show. Would that work for you ?