Would you walk away if DCI shows were like in the 80s and 90s

Lance

Would you walk away if DCI looked like it did in the 80s and 90s  

256 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• Yes, I would walk away if DCI reverted to 80s/90s type shows
    • No, I would not walk away if DCI reverted to 80s/90s type shows

I like all eras in moderation, but just for sheer level of design, musicality and difficulty from the entire corps proper, I would rather be right where we are, looking forward in the manner the activity seems to be. When doing direct comparison to today, the further back I go, the quicker I get bored, unless it is very specific "favorite moments" of shows from those days. This viewpoint is looking at the activity as a whole, and the corps as a whole, because my top five shows ever certainly include a few from the 80's/90's. But those are specific and not representative of the entire activity at the time. When looking top to bottom of the top 12 today's shows hold my interest much more from a whole corps perspective than the top 12 of any 80's-90's era.

Just as a yardstick, I'm 43 and marched the 80's. I'm in awe of what the kids these days do, and the level at which they do it.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It really is apples to oranges if you're comparing 2010 to '70s sound. The equipment alone would have never allowed hornlines to achieve the blend they do today. I would say that by the mid to late 80s the horns and drums had evolved enough to allow the player to get quality sounds. So I would disagree with you about it being performed atrociously. It really was, in most cases, the equipment and not the player. Not that you said this, but it would be dismissive for anyone to think that there wasn't talent in 1970's corsps that would allow them to play at a high level.

The notion that there were less talented performers in the 70's and 80s ( or even the 50's and 60's Corps )than today is also open to speculation. It seems the prevailing wisdom is that the era of today has MORE talented musicians. But I'd posit that there were thousands of more marchers in earlier era's and thus the distribution of the top talent was dispersed among several hundred Corps instead of a remaining few dozen Corps of today. I'd suggest earlier eras had BOTH more inferior performers AND superior musician performers participating than today. First off, Corps never had a couple of hundred drummers ( for example ) trying out at a camp for one Corps, where 80% of them, if they don't make the cut for that Corps, they just refuse to go and march Drum Corps at all that year.

All one has to do is listen to the top soprano brass soloists in the 70's and 80's to realize that, despite the comparatively inferior brass instrument, that soloist would have been able to play in the first trumpet sectiion of the top Corps of today. Corps back then however had a much wider talent level in marching membership in Corps. That said, no one disputes the fact that the overall talent level of Corps today is superior to that of the typical top 12 Corps of the 70's and 80's.

Edited by BRASSO

I wouldn't be surprized if some corps did resort to the 80's, 90's or even the 70's style of shows !!! :spitting::spitting::spitting:

You may even get a few thousand FANS/ALUMNI people BACK if they did !!! :spitting::worthy:

Drum corps is too close to marching band for some of people. You'd be surpized on how many people left because the difference between drum corps and marching band has all but vanished. :worthy:

I'd sprint in the opposite direction if corps reverted back to an older style. My enjoyment of drum corps comes from the innovative aspect (hence my love of The Cadets, Cavaliers and Blue Devils). When corps rehash old concepts and styles, I find myself extremely bored and underwhelmed (hence my distaste for BK, Glassmen, Troopers and Crown's last 3 shows).

That said, no one disputes the fact that the overall talent level of Corps today is superior to that of the typical top 12 Corps of the 70's and 80's.

You don't speak for every one here. There are more people than you think that don't feel that way !!!

I'd sprint in the opposite direction if corps reverted back to an older style. My enjoyment of drum corps comes from the innovative aspect (hence my love of The Cadets, Cavaliers and Blue Devils). When corps rehash old concepts and styles, I find myself extremely bored and underwhelmed (hence my distaste for BK, Glassmen, Troopers and Crown's last 3 shows).

What old concepts or styles did Crown, Glassmen, Troopers or BK rehash the last 3 years? :spitting: Crown, for good or bad, has been on the cutting edge of innovaton the last 3 years.

What old concepts or styles did Crown, Glassmen, Troopers or BK rehash the last 3 years? :spitting: Crown, for good or bad, has been on the cutting edge of innovaton the last 3 years.

True... but lets be honest and acknowledge that Crown (like other Corps) has a "follow the leader " mentality in play as well.

For example, prior to 2008, it was essenially unheard of for a non DM Corps marcher to go up onto the DM podium to replace the lead DM during a portion of the show. However, in 2008 Phantom Regiment won DCI. Part of their new idea in the show was to have the lead DM replaced up on the DM podium during the show. It was quite effective. Lo and behold, Crown had a girl marcher in 2009 repilcate the same creative concept by having her jump up onto the DM podium during a portion of their show. They say immitation is the best form of flattery. We again saw this, this year. The Cadets had their " Geoffrey " . Colts decided then to go with their own " Geoffrey " character as well. Remember a couple of years ago when " narration " was all the rage with Corps ? Somebody in DCI then apparently decided that " narration " was " out " and so no Corps now do " narration ". By the way, what was " cutting edge " this year among the top 12 ? Mirrors ? What ? I'm at a loss on what was " cutting edge " this year. The only thing really " different " in conceptual style was the retro show of the Madison Scouts who became undeniably the national fan favorite this year. They were the ONLY Corps who's style reached back into the traditional past for motivation instead of looking for the " Next Big Thing " that the other Corps would temporarily soon follow like willing lemmings.

Edited by BRASSO

I like all eras in moderation, but just for sheer level of design, musicality and difficulty from the entire corps proper, I would rather be right where we are, looking forward in the manner the activity seems to be. When doing direct comparison to today, the further back I go, the quicker I get bored, unless it is very specific "favorite moments" of shows from those days. This viewpoint is looking at the activity as a whole, and the corps as a whole, because my top five shows ever certainly include a few from the 80's/90's. But those are specific and not representative of the entire activity at the time. When looking top to bottom of the top 12 today's shows hold my interest much more from a whole corps perspective than the top 12 of any 80's-90's era.

Just as a yardstick, I'm 43 and marched the 80's. I'm in awe of what the kids these days do, and the level at which they do it.

Could not have said it better myself

It really is apples to oranges if you're comparing 2010 to '70s sound. The equipment alone would have never allowed hornlines to achieve the blend they do today. I would say that by the mid to late 80s the horns and drums had evolved enough to allow the player to get quality sounds. So I would disagree with you about it being performed atrociously. It really was, in most cases, the equipment and not the player. Not that you said this, but it would be dismissive for anyone to think that there wasn't talent in 1970's corsps that would allow them to play at a high level.

That is what I meant by nothing personal to the members, because I know the equipment from that time was unacceptable. I'm sure they were trying just as hard then as now to be the best performers they could, and it is ignorant to think otherwise, and that truly is not what I meant.

In spite of what I just said, bad performance is bad performance, no matter the reason, even if that reason is reasonable.

Edited by WOOHOO