Would you walk away if DCI shows were like in the 80s and 90s

Lance

Would you walk away if DCI looked like it did in the 80s and 90s  

256 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• Yes, I would walk away if DCI reverted to 80s/90s type shows
    • No, I would not walk away if DCI reverted to 80s/90s type shows

The recording technology can only be blamed for so much. We're talking the 70's technology, not 20's. I've heard plenty of instrumental music that was recorded in the 70's (including some outdoor concerts) and they sound just fine.

You are talking 70's STUDIO technology. Drum Corps recording techniques and equipment

in the 70's were nothing compared to studio equipment, nor were they

anything compared to modern DCI technology. Even 87 recording techniques were

not great. Just yesterday someone mentioned the imfamous Garfield Cadets Euphonium player

who sounded like he was sticking out of the ensemble on the recording. This was because he was

standing right in front of the on field mic and drown out the rest of the hornline. People who were

there live reported that there was no one sticking out of the ensemble. I started seeing live Drum Corps

back in 82 and I can tell you first hand that Corps back then sounded every bit as good from

an ensemble standpoint as they do now. I hear the same reports from people who caught live

shows in the 70s. Did some Corps play crass? Yes. But there were many great hornlines that played musically.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair enough. You are on more solid footing ( my opinion here ) when you want to be critical of technical aspects of Corps from the 70's, 80's ( or even this year too )

One can say that a Corps gave " bad performances "... even a 2010 DCI winning titleist.... and be on solid footing here as well, imo.

I can say that the Blue Devils this year were unbelievably superior in proper brass technique, while also stating that they gave " bad performances ". The two are not a contradiction at all. Likewise, one could state that the 1976 Blue Devils had subpar issues in some aspects of proper brass tecniques but still gave a " great performance ". Again, the two are not mutually exclusive at all, imo.

In short, " playing " a trumpet or drum is by no means the same thing as " performing " with a trumpet or drum. Highly successful professsional trumpet players and professional percusssionists know precisely the critically important difference here too.

Do you not consider ensemble blend a "technical aspect"?

Edited by WOOHOO

Do you not consider ensemble blend a "technical aspect"?

Yes. " ensemble blend ( ie " level of integration, quality of playing, unison, cohesiveness, etc ) is much more in the " technical " realm than in the " performance " realm.

Edited by BRASSO

Well, obviously, I consider technique and performance to be inherently linked, so we agree to disagree

ok.

I think a fairer question to the point would have been, "...... if all World Class corps designed and performed the same way the top 3-5 corps did in the 80's and 90's?"

If 17 of the 23 were to get it right and perform it right .... I would follow tour for 2 or 3 weeks on the road and not miss a moment of the action. As it stands now I see 2 or 1 shows per year. I guess they just don't like my money.

Nothing personal to those who marched in the 70's, but I cannot listen to more than 3 seconds of 70's drum corps at a time, it is performed so atrociously.

Yeah, kinda like some lower placing corps of recent years. Nothing personal.

Would I walk away? Hell no! :spitting: