Would you walk away if DCI shows were like in the 80s and 90s

Lance

Would you walk away if DCI looked like it did in the 80s and 90s  

256 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• Yes, I would walk away if DCI reverted to 80s/90s type shows
    • No, I would not walk away if DCI reverted to 80s/90s type shows

I've searched around for these numbers, Mike, and can't find them. If you have them, please share.

If the data is as you say (not doubting you, just not seen it) it would, in fact, show macro growth in the DCI fan base, and that would be wonderful to see.

I'm not sure how comparing one "bull" time frame to another addresses the economic elasticity issue, but I'm hopeful that it shows definitive proof that there was growing attendance over that decade.

Well, what CAN'T be disputed is that the recent polls (at least HERE on DCP) show more people would be around at shows if it were more in line with 80's and 90's styles. This is of course if everyone is answering truthfully etc.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, what CAN'T be disputed is that the recent polls (at least HERE on DCP) show more people would be around at shows if it were more in line with 80's and 90's styles. This is of course if everyone is answering truthfully etc.

Wait. Have we had a poll of those who have left asking if they'd come back if we regressed to the 80's and 90's? I haven't seen such a poll.

This poll is about walking away if the activity regressed. That's not the same as what you've said.

There have been multiple poll(S) of late dealing with these same issues. People returning IF format changed etc. Not just YOUR poll.

Just give me 45-90 seconds of pure execution at a slower tempo where my brain can just relax and enjoy it, then go nuts at 200bpm after you've given my feeble mind a rest stop on this raceway.

Every show I saw this year had me on the edge of my seat taking it all in and enjoying ever minute of it. I just need a minute in the middle so my brain can catch up.

I've searched around for these numbers, Mike, and can't find them. If you have them, please share.

If the data is as you say (not doubting you, just not seen it) it would, in fact, show macro growth in the DCI fan base, and that would be wonderful to see.

I'm not sure how comparing one "bull" time frame to another addresses the economic elasticity issue, but I'm hopeful that it shows definitive proof that there was growing attendance over that decade.

This shows WC finals 95-2003.

I got these from reading various threads on DCP, posted from official sources.

2007 Pasadena - 24,309 (>50K sold all week)

2006 Madison – 21,232

2005 Foxboro – 20,542

2004 Denver, CO - 22,047

This shows the Pasadena numbers.

Here is a quote I saved from a DCI release...I forgot to make note of the url...it shows the 2004, 05 and 06 numbers...

"In Madison, the Division I Quarterfinals crowd reached 8,871, with Semifinals topping out at 14,624; which is more than 2,000 higher than any Semifinals crowd dating as far back as 1999. This year’s Finals crowd at 21,232 is right in between those of the last two years, higher than Foxboro, Mass. (20,542), but slightly lower than the 2004 World Championships in Denver (22,047)."

96 if I recall, began a spiral downward thanks to Orlando, and began to rebound in 99 with DCi finally again hitting 20k paid at Finals in 02

This shows WC finals 95-2003.

I got these from reading various threads on DCP, posted from official sources.

2007 Pasadena - 24,309 (>50K sold all week)

2006 Madison – 21,232

2005 Foxboro – 20,542

2004 Denver, CO - 22,047

This shows the Pasadena numbers.

Here is a quote I saved from a DCI release...I forgot to make note of the url...it shows the 2004, 05 and 06 numbers...

"In Madison, the Division I Quarterfinals crowd reached 8,871, with Semifinals topping out at 14,624; which is more than 2,000 higher than any Semifinals crowd dating as far back as 1999. This year's Finals crowd at 21,232 is right in between those of the last two years, higher than Foxboro, Mass. (20,542), but slightly lower than the 2004 World Championships in Denver (22,047)."

DCI was smart to advertise this. Now let's see 2008 on.

(insert sound of crickets)