New Championships Week format

I really do love my drum corps, but 40 corps in one day is a bit much...and I could NEVER get the Mrs. to go along with that. As for the G8, thanks but no thanks and you can bet Hoppy will get the woodwinds in there somehow and hope to shoehorn it into the regular shows for the following year. That's the "alternative judging", I'm betting. Let's hope that this "experiment" for the G8 is a short lived failure, depends on how many freebies they give the bandos to fill the stands. I can now add Blue Stars to my list of souvie stands that I walk right past at shows.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean, there is g8 stuff peeking it's head, but still. The biggest problems of the G8 thing involved exclusion. Like, jettisoning open class for example. this, however, is far more INCLUSIVE in nature, other than those few events, so I think we can put our smiles on.

I really do love my drum corps, but 40 corps in one day is a bit much...and I could NEVER get the Mrs. to go along with that. As for the G8, thanks but no thanks and you can bet Hoppy will get the woodwinds in there somehow and hope to shoehorn it into the regular shows for the following year. That's the "alternative judging", I'm betting. Let's hope that this "experiment" for the G8 is a short lived failure, depends on how many freebies they give the bandos to fill the stands. I can now add Blue Stars to my list of souvie stands that I walk right past at shows.

you won't be missed...

i think the number of people that will actually watch 40 corps is extremely small... but people will be able to watch a few, then go do something else for a bit, and then come back.

Nope; this 40 plus corps' all day on Thursday format will not have people coming and going throughout the day; most people will still just wait until the evening to go in and see the upper corps.

I think the OC/WC format for quarters is a phenomenal idea. Typically, my friend and I just do semis and finals, because all three nights can be a bit much in terms of drum corps overload. But I'm seriously considering either doing all three or knocking semis out of the mix for next year. We'll see.

As for the G8 shows, it seems to me that there has been a compromise of sorts that's been reached between DCI and those "evil" ones. Time will tell how it all plays out and if these shows will be successful or not in their task to reach a larger audience. But I still don't get quite get the vitriol towards them. Yes, I see the "elitist" angle, but a month ago we were all arguing who was better and how great these shows were. We were all talking these corps up, respective of our individual honk status. Praising the guard work. Marveling at the percussion lines. Being blown away by the brass.

Why wouldn't you want to go see that!?!?!

In person, Quarters is my favorite day. Maybe the top few will score a little bit higher two days later, but I'm in it for quantity as much as quality. I have NEVER been to a show with more than 25 corps. 40....ya, you're going to need to pick me up off the floor because I'll be DRUNK on drum corps!

yeah that fact makes me re-thinking how much hate the dome.