New Championships Week format

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sure... that is one way to look at it. The other way to look at it is that a very important topic has been moved out of the forum that gets the most traffic (the forum that this thread is in).
:laughing:

s

Given the current structure is vastly different than what the original G-7 proposal looked like, with virtually no negative impact on DCI or any other corps, why not?
as you will see, upon further reading, i upgraded to maybe.

however, i'm willing to bet none are close enough to me anyways, so probably not :laughing:

possibly. Since the much ballyhooed Cesario information was discussed this week, maybe we';ll get an announcement soon with what it may be.

Here is something to banter about: For sake of argument lets say that there are two criteria youth use to choose to which corps to audition for in any given year: 1) Quality of the performance of that corps; and 2) Competitive environment in which that particular corps performs. The top eight corps certainly provide (quality), and according to the DCI article a varied judging system will be in place for those "special shows" which will provide (competitive environment). Question: Since the special experimental shows provide both of those items, and entry into those shows is based off of merit not elitism, could this new judging and show format actually fly as the future of the overall DCI activity?

to be honest, i thoughtof this and went back and looked. really, no one made any huge jumps in prelims the last few years that this would affect.

Is it me, or did DCI Open Class just lose two rounds of competition and the opportunity to become an Open Class Finalist? And for what, a chance to perform in World Class Quarterfinals instead? Yeah, great.........

I marched and taught at a corps that is a multiple time Open Class / Div 2&3 Finalist, and let me tell you that it makes a huge difference when you're able to say that you are a finalist. One of my biggest memories in drum corps was making Division 3 finals my rookie year of drum corps. I still have my finalist medal hanging up at home 12 years later. Open Class corps members will now not be able to achieve or experience that, which is a shame.

I would have no problem with this system if Open Class had a Prelims / Finals format. The opportunity to perform in World Class Quarterfinals is great AS LONG AS there is still a Prelims / Finals format in Open Class. I'm not even asking for the current 3 day tournament in Open Class. With the amount of Open Class corps present, 2 rounds is fine, but to deny those kids the opportunity to call themselves a Finalist within their class is not acceptable.

I am shocked that there are people involved in Open Class that support this. I think you are looking at what you gained without thinking about what you sacrificed along the way. In essense, Open Class took two steps back to take one forward. This is just the next step in eliminating the class all together. I hope those of you involved in Open Class realize this as such and make your voices heard.

I agree, just wondering why Jeff indicated he would avoid the G-8 shows. Lots of people stuck on last years proposal and can't seem to realize the new one much different with most if not all of the negative aspects disgarded.

see my follow up post

Here's how:

2987911880_9ac79acfd5_z.jpg

:laughing:

I spit my drink out when I saw this!...LOL

Is it me, or did DCI Open Class just lose two rounds of competition and the opportunity to become an Open Class Finalist? And for what, a chance to perform in World Class Quarterfinals instead? Yeah, great.........

I marched and taught at a corps that is a multiple time Open Class / Div 2&3 Finalist, and let me tell you that it makes a huge difference when you're able to say that you are a finalist. One of my biggest memories in drum corps was making Division 3 finals my rookie year of drum corps. I still have my finalist medal hanging up at home 12 years later. Open Class corps members will now not be able to achieve or experience that, which is a shame.

I would have no problem with this system if Open Class had a Prelims / Finals format. The opportunity to perform in World Class Quarterfinals is great AS LONG AS there is still a Prelims / Finals format in Open Class. I'm not even asking for the current 3 day tournament in Open Class. With the amount of Open Class corps present, 2 rounds is fine, but to deny those kids the opportunity to call themselves a Finalist within their class is not acceptable.

I am shocked that there are people involved in Open Class that support this. I think you are looking at what you gained without thinking about what you sacrificed along the way. In essense, Open Class took two steps back to take one forward. This is just the next step in eliminating the class all together. I hope those of you involved in Open Class realize this as such and make your voices heard.

No one has really answered this. DCI.com just says "Open Class World Championship". I hope they do a prelims/finals that day. Looks a little odd to be an "Open Class Finalist" when there's no finals :laughing:

There's a key difference here. Murfreesboro is determined by current season results. If cavies or crown or blue stars drop a stinker of a show out there this year and fall out of the top 8, they wouldnt be at murfreesboro, but will be at these shows. I guess the 'extra content' might make it more difficult to move corps in and out of this, but if that could be worked out, i would prefer a system determined by the major shows prior to the 'feature' shows.

It's easy to schedule the top eight corps of the current season into Murfreesboro because all the World Class corps will be a few hours away in Atlanta the next day. To do the top eight according to current season results would make it impossible for there to be two or more different tours simultaneously as all corps would have to compete together to produce the top-eight results.

Also, Murfreesboro corps are determined by the major events leading up to the Masters of the SUMMER MUSIC GAMES. Many of these new types of shows will be earlier in the season, when all the corps haven't met in the same place yet.