G8

DC Guy

... and I think there is a one in a million chance that enough of the G-8 corps would get behind the idea of breaking away from DCI for it ever to float.

I don't share your optimism. The initial proposal did not contemplate the G7 (now G8) breaking away, but instead contemplated them dramatically reforming DCI to suit their own vision and kicking a large number of corps to the curb. Anyone who would sign up for such a drastic move is just as likely, in my opinion, to be willing to sign up to form their own organization if they do not get what they want.

Edited by jwscv87

I do not agree with the inclusion of woodwind instruments into Drum and BUGLE corps, but I also support most of the G8 movement. The tour of champions represents an attempt by DCI and DCI's top corps to save DCI from extinction and allow for the continued evolution of the activity.

actually, it represents all that is currently left from a proposal to take over junior drum and bugle corps, including throwing open class under the bus.

For those of you that want to boycott- what are you doing to help support the activity?

I go to my local shows.

Are you also boycotting finals because they are in a dome?

yes

I do not think it is fair to say that the member corps of the G8 are trying to eventually eliminate DCI.

I guess you didn't read the proposal. They clearly were trying to take all the voting power, and eventually cut DCI down to 7 drum corps.

Edited by soccerguy315

Every corps has a right to do whatever is in their best interest. So G8 has the same right to do something that helps them survive and the smaller corps can ALSO do something make themselves survive. I refuse to think that the non-G8 corps are as helpless as everyone thinks they are... They just need something clever like the TOC show to bring in more revenue!

Every corps has a right to do whatever is in their best interest. So G8 has the same right to do something that helps them survive and the smaller corps can ALSO do something make themselves survive. I refuse to think that the non-G8 corps are as helpless as everyone thinks they are... They just need something clever like the TOC show to bring in more revenue!

except they wish to follow the rules of DCI and not make ones up just for themselves.

except they wish to follow the rules of DCI and not make ones up just for themselves.

So? If following the rules of DCI means that they risk going out of "business" then should stop following the rules of DCI or DCI should change the rules. Let's not say the G8 should just leave it all alone. The Non-G8 should counter with a proposal of their own. If DCI's current structure if failing to provide for the best and worst corps then we need a new model.

So? If following the rules of DCI means that they risk going out of "business" then should stop following the rules of DCI or DCI should change the rules. Let's not say the G8 should just leave it all alone. The Non-G8 should counter with a proposal of their own. If DCI's current structure if failing to provide for the best and worst corps then we need a new model.

If the G7 (or now eight, I guess) truly feel DCI is not meeting their needs, then they have two choices: 1. Leave DCI and start their own circuit, fully assuming the risks that this entails. 2. Remain within DCI, abiding by its founding principles while working to change to benefit of all its members. What caused such a furor was the suggestion by one or two of the G7 directors that it would be really cool if they could have it both ways -- essentially creating a new circuit within the safe, comfortable confines of DCI and reaping all the benefits while burdening the non-G7 corps with all the risk. Maybe it was just a proposal, but it did offer a vision of at least one man's ideal future and it had the tacit approval (though one wonders whether or not the other G7 corps had any idea what was in the original proposal before it was presented in May) of the other elite corps. This was enough to frighten the non-G7 corps into taking decisive action.

I think the TOC is a good (if predictable) solution to the DCI civil war that began back in May. It's probably the only thing most of the G8 corps wanted in the first place. Ideally the lineups for these shows would be based on the current season's results, but in a compromise not everything is going to be ideal. It seems to me that the TOC represents a willingness on the part of the G-7/8 to work within the boundaries of DCI's principles, though others may disagree. But if the TOC ends up being wildly successful then this willingness to cooperate might start to break down, and the war will begin all over again.

Every corps has a right to do whatever is in their best interest. So G8 has the same right to do something that helps them survive and the smaller corps can ALSO do something make themselves survive.

True. The G7 had the right to make a proposal to take voting control, show revenue, show access and half of DCI's infrastructure away from the other corps. And the other corps had the right to vote that proposal down, identify the conflict of interest on the DCI BOD, and restructure said BOD.

I refuse to think that the non-G8 corps are as helpless as everyone thinks they are... They just need something clever like the TOC show to bring in more revenue!

Actually, they had a 5-year business plan designed to foster growth and benefit all DCI corps. I think that's a better idea than having a subset of DCI's corps devise a plan that only benefits a subset of corps.

So? If following the rules of DCI means that they risk going out of "business" then should stop following the rules of DCI or DCI should change the rules. Let's not say the G8 should just leave it all alone. The Non-G8 should counter with a proposal of their own. If DCI's current structure is failing to provide for the best and worst corps then we need a new model.

Those are pretty big "ifs". I don't think we've established that DCI is risking "going out of business", or "failing to provide" for their corps, or any such "sky is falling" claims. In fact, they managed to increase revenue in the midst of the Great Recession.

If the G7 (or now eight, I guess) truly feel DCI is not meeting their needs, then they have two choices: 1. Leave DCI and start their own circuit, fully assuming the risks that this entails. 2. Remain within DCI, abiding by its founding principles while working to change to benefit of all its members. What caused such a furor was the suggestion by one or two of the G7 directors that it would be really cool if they could have it both ways -- essentially creating a new circuit within the safe, comfortable confines of DCI and reaping all the benefits while burdening the non-G7 corps with all the risk. Maybe it was just a proposal, but it did offer a vision of at least one man's ideal future and it had the tacit approval (though one wonders whether or not the other G7 corps had any idea what was in the original proposal before it was presented in May) of the other elite corps. This was enough to frighten the non-G7 corps into taking decisive action.

I think the TOC is a good (if predictable) solution to the DCI civil war that began back in May. It's probably the only thing most of the G8 corps wanted in the first place. Ideally the lineups for these shows would be based on the current season's results, but in a compromise not everything is going to be ideal. It seems to me that the TOC represents a willingness on the part of the G-7/8 to work within the boundaries of DCI's principles, though others may disagree. But if the TOC ends up being wildly successful then this willingness to cooperate might start to break down, and the war will begin all over again.

This isnt a matter of comprimise, it is an impossibility. How would you ever do it? Corps performance schedules could change day to day based on the previous nights results, and you would be in a postion to have to compare scores from different shows and different judging panels to see who registered the highest 8 scores from the previous night to determine who got to perform in the next TOC show.

Now with that said, the G-8 line up for TOC shows could change after the major regionals as these include all the WC corps and the same judging panel, but even then adjusting touring schedules for the new G-8 corps and the newly NON-G-8 corps would be a logistical nightmare for those groups.