Congrats Air Force Drum & Bugle Corps

I believe one of my former students is a bass drummer with them. I'll have to send him an email to see if he was with them. He played sax for me.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Off We Go, etc":

Congrats to the USAFA drum corps. :thumbup: They are the "heirs" to a great heritage of Air Force drum & bugle corps, starting with the very olde USAF "Blue Eagles" corps at Bolling AFB :tongue: (The seedbed for an INCREDIBLE number of future instructors, way to many to even begin to name), disbanded in 1964, and the USAFA "Enlisted" drum corps, :laughing: disbanded in the mid 1970's.

Elphaba

"Off We Go, etc":

Congrats to the USAFA drum corps. :thumbup: They are the "heirs" to a great heritage of Air Force drum & bugle corps, starting with the very olde USAF "Blue Eagles" corps at Bolling AFB :tongue: (The seedbed for an INCREDIBLE number of future instructors, way to many to even begin to name), disbanded in 1964, and the USAFA "Enlisted" drum corps, :laughing: disbanded in the mid 1970's.

Elphaba

There were also a few regular drum corps folk playing in the Air Force corps from the late 50's to early 60's. I believe the great Tommy Martin from the Skyliners was one of them. I think it was the corps from around the DC area.

Edited by gsksun4

"Off We Go, etc":

Congrats to the USAFA drum corps. :tongue: They are the "heirs" to a great heritage of Air Force drum & bugle corps, starting with the very olde USAF "Blue Eagles" corps at Bolling AFB :tongue: (The seedbed for an INCREDIBLE number of future instructors, way to many to even begin to name), disbanded in 1964, and the USAFA "Enlisted" drum corps, :tongue: disbanded in the mid 1970's.

Elphaba

Not to mention all the "base corps" like the Keesler Blue Knights.

My best friend's father was in the blue knights as well. He showed me his jacket which, being a size SMALL showed just how skinny he was when he was in the service.

My best friend's father was in the blue knights as well. He showed me his jacket which, being a size SMALL showed just how skinny he was when he was in the service.

When was that?? If he was at Keesler from late Oct 84 to Mid June 85 then I marched with him there.

Nope, much much earlier!

Blue Knights were around through mid 1985 (I was a member)...I think they might still be around (no clue on the base website, tho)

"Blue Knights":

The USAF and US Navy had several "Base Corps". The Navy had one (And may still support it) at the Great Lakes Naval Training Center. Former St Vincents Cadet Bob "Patches" Watson was a meber of it back in the 1950's and mentions his membership as his first Navy rating. He went on to be a "Plank Owner" in the US Navy's "SEALS".

The USAF had "Base Corps" at Chanute IL, Lowry CO & Sheppard TX, AFB's. The corps at Lowry & Chanute (And the installations themselves) are long gone. No information on Shepard's drum corps. The Lowry "Golden Eagles" did exibitions at several editions of the early "Drums Along the Rockies" DCI shows in 1971 & 1972.

There was also a "Base Corps" at Osan AFB Korea "Way Back" in the 19660's and the USMC had "Base Corps" at Twenty Nine Palms", and in Hawaii. Another USMC "Base Corps" from an istallation "Down South" performed an exibition at Bridgeport's Parade of Champions back in the late 1960s.

There is a chapter devoted to "Military Drum Corps" in the "History of Drum Corps" series. Over the decades it appears that ALL branches of the servive had quite a few of them.... :tongue:

Elphaba