It's changed

As a BD fanatic, I can't help looking back at past BD years to answer this question. And the one thing that sticks out to me as being a primary reason as to why there is a shift in show design, is that the caliber/proficiency of DCI's brass players has been steadily declining. My evidence lies in soloists for the past 10 years, now again I'm just using BD as an example. I think it's pretty safe to say that no one in BD's horn line this year can play any trumpet solo from 1986 BD better than/as good as Mike Collins. And I'm positive none of them can play any of Scotty's solos from 1993 or 1995. I'm sure I&E has good soloists, but for whatever reason, they aren't on the field.

So if you have players that aren't capable of playing horn books from years past, you have to change what your focus is on. As much as I loved BD's 2010 production, I can't see that hornline playing 1993's horn book. And although the trumpet soloist from this year really improved from the start of the season, he couldn't play some of the solos from years past.

But having said all that, it's unfortunate Sackbut that you feel this way, because I actually prefer 2010 to most of the shows shows from the 80's and even some from the 90's. DCI had to change. There is only so much you can do on a football field, and if it took the changing the focus from music to GE, then so be it. If you like older shows so much better, join FanNetwork and watch them all day long. There is a theory that people are most conservative about the things they know most about. I was SO against electronics on the field when it was first proposed, but now I'm all for them. DCI homers were so upset that BD and Cadets went to Bflat horns. But those horns sound WAY better. I would be upset if DCI didn't make changes and evolve the activity.

And as far as the attendance level dropping, I have your answer. Rose Bowl.

yeah.... How about someone gives Scott Dean a call and see what he thinks about you saying his solos weren't that good. I'm sure he's have a few words for you there....

And if you're going to say soloists aren't very good, guess we should go back to the old way where the soloist is parked on the front sideline for an entire song where the solo happens, then have them stand there till the next solo, that sound good?

And about DCI's talent dropping, have you watched a show lately? I mean, sure it was hard back in the day, but now performers have to worry about not only playing and marching, but also doing those things while throwing in insane body movements, dodging props, and marching at insane tempos and meters. If anything, the talent is going up, not down.

Dean was a baller, no doubt. Not saying he wasn't. There will always be exceptions.

And yes, I have stood in front of a hornline lately. That's one of the reasons I don't really care about corps using electronics, because the parking lot show is the best thing about DCI, and they don't plug in there.

So if the talent level isn't going down, then why are the horn books easier? It's all because of how a show is judged? Corps are capable of playing a more demanding book, but chose not too, because they won't score any higher? I don't buy it.

There is no doubt in my mind that the talent level is much higher now than in years past. I totally agree with the people that say the shows are designed for the sheets rather than the audience. Easy to solve. Change the sheets. Over the years almost every major change has been described as the end of drum corps. Maybe so, as we older folks remember drum corps. I don't like a lot of things being done now but you can't blame the kids. They bust their butts every day to put on the best show possible. I think in the next few years we will see a revival in more retro shows because the public will demand it. In the meantime, we watch, listen and just shake our heads at the great effort every kid, in every corps, puts out. We had better face it - the old days are gone so we, as fans, either have to adjust to the new reality or not support the activity. For my part, dump the synths and carry on.

So if the talent level isn't going down, then why are the horn books easier? It's all because of how a show is judged? Corps are capable of playing a more demanding book, but chose not too, because they won't score any higher? I don't buy it.

Hmm, I wouldn't say horn books are easier now. I think what has been introduced more is exposure. most corps can play loud whole notes over and over again, but it takes a special group of people to play a syncopated 16th note passage, and isolated stabs when players are 50 yards apart. Just my read on it. And I happen to think that playing with control and exposure is much harder than playing a loud, less exposed book. And a big part of it is the sheets. When the sheets reward musicality, and control and exposure, that's how people will write their shows.

When I performed in 2009 and 2010, it didn't look feel or sound anything like I had imagined when I had watched any other finals performance in drum corps history...I would give an arm and a leg to march even 6 or 7 years ago. I suppose I'll just hope that things will change for the better.

grandpa_simpson_yelling_at_cloud_001.jpgstatler_waldorf.jpg

Edited by Michael Boo

I think all this panic about how Drum corps is or is not going down the tubes is premature. It was only two years ago that Phantom Regiment won with Spartacus, and I think very few people would argue that spartacus was a bad show. The past two years have been experimental, and a lot of people havnt liked it, but if you arn't willing to try new things then you'll miss out on some changes you end up liking. I use to hate electronics in Drum Corps and i was mad when my favorite corps(the cavaliers) had so many of them, but Mad World ended up my favorite show of the year. I think this next years the shows will tone down a little bit from the experimental state because of all this negative reaction.

In the picture on the right, is that you on the left there, Mike. Is that what the "speed limit" looks like? :tongue:

I wish I looked that youthful. :tongue: