DCA Finals 2012

Any thoughts about the stadium itself? I've been to a couple USSBA shows there over the past few years as a band staff member and I have some concerns. Those being:

1) the seats are very low-angled, if that makes any sense. It is in now way "stadium seating" meaning as you go farther up, you get considerably farther away from the field.

2) If you sit in the back of the lower deck (under the second-tier overhang) the noise coming from the concessions behind you is extremely loud. I made the mistake once of running up there to watch my band perform and didn't hear a single note due to the sounds drifting up from behind.

3) the PA system is a bad set-up, there are speakers in every corner pointed somewhat towards the field, creating a MASSIVE delay from what you hear from the speakers near you and what you hear coming from the other side of the stadium. It almost drowns itself out.

That being said, the stadium is beautiful, the field turf is in terrific condition, the surrounding areas offer a lot of great options for food, nightlife, scenery, etc. I am extremely happy about this, I've just noticed some issues with the stadium during my time at band shows there that I haven't seen discussed yet.

Really makes you appreciate "Bugles" doesn't it! Just Saying!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not quite a wash for MBI. It is 2 hours further. But hey, what's 130 miles when you're talking 1000 to begin with...:)

Do you guys bus or fly?

I can comment on the stadium issues... been there a couple of times... ;)

The lower deck seats are somewhat low angled, but are MUCH closer to the sideline than most college stadiums. We have had a couple of DCI shows here over the last few years, and the views were not an issue I heard raised by any fans. I did, however, hear many fans talking about how they loved being closer to the sideline.

The back of the lower deck is open, meaning if you sit in the back row of the lower section, you can see and hear onto the concourse behind you. I do remember the first time we had USSBA Nationals here, there was quite a bit of noise coming from the USSBA souvie trailers, especially the one that was selling one-off DVD's. Whoever was running the booth had a flat panel TV and sound system cranking band shows, trying to sell DVD's. We have since moved all of the souvie traffic away from the concourse. Also, I do think the fact that this show will be drum corps instead of high school bands will make a difference, as I don't recall this complaint at either DCI show held here.

USSBA didn't rent the whole sound system. They only used the two loudspeakers under the overhangs for the band shows. The speaker system in the end zone scoreboards is MUCH better. Being that the "main" speaker system is in the end zones and somewhat equidistant from the fans on the home side, you should hear less of a delay.

Hope that helps!

Jeff

Any thoughts about the stadium itself? I've been to a couple USSBA shows there over the past few years as a band staff member and I have some concerns. Those being:

1) the seats are very low-angled, if that makes any sense. It is in now way "stadium seating" meaning as you go farther up, you get considerably farther away from the field.

2) If you sit in the back of the lower deck (under the second-tier overhang) the noise coming from the concessions behind you is extremely loud. I made the mistake once of running up there to watch my band perform and didn't hear a single note due to the sounds drifting up from behind.

3) the PA system is a bad set-up, there are speakers in every corner pointed somewhat towards the field, creating a MASSIVE delay from what you hear from the speakers near you and what you hear coming from the other side of the stadium. It almost drowns itself out.

That being said, the stadium is beautiful, the field turf is in terrific condition, the surrounding areas offer a lot of great options for food, nightlife, scenery, etc. I am extremely happy about this, I've just noticed some issues with the stadium during my time at band shows there that I haven't seen discussed yet.

The fact that its at the Naval Academy. That in itself. And I think a lot of guys will dig just walking around that campus.

Is walking around the Academy campus possible? I understand the stadium is outside of the campus grounds.

Wow, just remembered the son of a former boss should be a Sr at the Academy this year. :laughing:

The Presidents Own Don't seem to have a problem with it. Just saying. :laughing:

Point of order here.

The President's Own is the U.S. Marine Band from Washington, DC.

The Commandant's Own is the U.S. Marine Drum and Bugle Corps from Marine Barracks in DC.

Now back to our regularly-scheduled, non-nitpicking thread. :thumbup:

Not to mention...DC. A major city is close by- maybe 30 miles? Annapolis is not bad, but why not visit DC?

And Baltimore. :laughing:

And Baltimore. :laughing:

Lat time I was there we had to be buzzed into the Arby's :thumbup:

USSBA didn't rent the whole sound system. They only used the two loudspeakers under the overhangs for the band shows. The speaker system in the end zone scoreboards is MUCH better. Being that the "main" speaker system is in the end zones and somewhat equidistant from the fans on the home side, you should hear less of a delay.

I've worked with the PA system there twice.... a few years ago at the USSBA national championships show, and in '03 (I'm pretty sure that was the year) when the Interservice drum corps show was held at the stadium on a Friday night.

Honestly, at the USSBA show I didn't get a really good idea of how the PA system was, since I was working from the press box upstairs, with the windows closed for most of the day.

But in '03 I worked from field level, and the PA system sounded pretty strong... and any delay was not much of an issue.

Then again, I've gotten good at drowning myself out. :laughing:

Lat time I was there we had to be buzzed into the Arby's :laughing:

LOL.... there are some rough streets on the east and west sides of town.

The downtown/Inner Harbor/Harbor East/Littly Italy/Fell's Point/Canton tourist areas are in pretty good shape, though.