DCA Finals 2012

I don't know how you sit on a bus that long. I salute you.

What Mike said. I can't even imagine doing that.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Around less than half the drive than Rochester and none of the US-15 North crap. :tongue:

Some of us are talking of a road trip to scope out things beforehand. :ph34r:

My daughter lived on Kent Island for 4 years, make that trip on rt 50 on any holiday weekend, let alone the labor day weekend, let me know how long the lines are, miles!!!! I am looking forward to the venue however.

I know this subject is a bit pre-mature.

Personally I couldn't be happier. I live just over the Chesapeak Bay Bridge from Annapolis. It would take me under a half hour to get

to the stadium.Taking route 50/301.

I can't tell you much about the venue itself. That would be Jeff Wier's department.

Pros and cons?

Look the area up on the internet. Annapolis, Annapolis Naval Academy,Kent Island, Kent Narrows. You'll see that it is quite beautiful. Waterways everywhere.

Let's not leave out the fact that we have great seafood resturants.

My favorite choices for hotel accomidations would be on The Kent Narrows. Which is situated on the other side of The Chesapeak Bay Bridge.

On the opposit side of Kent Island. As you pass back on to the Eastern Shore mainland.Talk about spectacular location!It would still be only a half hour to get to the stadium.

Con?Regarding staying on the Narrows. Ocean City traffic! We're talking Labor Day weekend.

If you're coming FROM the eas,t on 50/301, it wont be a problem. Coming from the west.

Route 50/301 is The Ocean Gateway. It's the major route too Ocean City Maryland. Talk about a bottleneck! LOL

Having an EZpass helps bigtime! Even if it's an out of town, you pay full fare but breeze thru faster than, if you have to stop to pay toll. Which you only pay going east.

But I don't want to dewell on the negative. Because it's well worth it. If you choose the Narrows. You just have to time your arrival at the venue well.

Getting to the venue from the East is easier and faster than if your coming from the West on rt. 50/301 or from the North in Richie Highway/rt. 2.

Maryland is a wonderful place to visit. Baltimore is North. Washington D.C is not far, West on rt. 50. You can catch the metro from Carrolton station.

Which will drop you off, right on the Mall. If you want to take a day trip to see our FREE Nations Capitol Museums.

Don't miss the Botanical Gardens, close to the Capitol Building! Plants and Trees from all over the world.

Ocean City is west . Kind of far for a day trip. Just don't go there! It'll be Labor Day!

If you want to sit on sand go to Sandy Point. Which exits at the western side of the Bay Bridge.

Lots of Historical places to visit in Maryland..

I could go on and on, expounding on, the virtues of Maryland. I'll wait and let you all do a bit of investigating on your own.

There are lots of high schools and community collages for practice sites.

As for the weather, it's farther south then the venues of the past. So you'll find it much warmer. Evenings are beginning to get cool, this time of the year.

Weather here can NOT be predicted. We have the mountains in the west and the Ocean in the east. A situation that confounds the best of weathermen.

I've lived in Maryland most of my life. I've also been a Drum Corps Nut all my life and for DCA Finals to come here? This close to my home!

There is a GOD!

Cindy... every time you post something I have to smile and LOVE your enthusiasm... no one could blame you if drum corps drew thin on you after all these years... As one who so admired your father, I appreciate seeing a part of him and his love of the activity living on in you. To quote you "There is a GOD"... well yes, but I would also like to think that we now have an army of angels watching over us and helping us make good decisions - an army led by your father, Truman Crawford and all his buddies... including Mickey Petrone, Vince Bruni, Jim Costello, Pepe Notaro, Hy Dreitzer, and a host of others... As always, I thank you and your family for sharing him with us all these many years... he is missed.

it's closer which I like, it's a great venue, and I love the area. I'll be there

I know this subject is a bit pre-mature.

Personally I couldn't be happier. I live just over the Chesapeak Bay Bridge from Annapolis. It would take me under a half hour to get

to the stadium.Taking route 50/301.

I can't tell you much about the venue itself. That would be Jeff Wier's department.

Pros and cons?

Look the area up on the internet. Annapolis, Annapolis Naval Academy,Kent Island, Kent Narrows. You'll see that it is quite beautiful. Waterways everywhere.

Let's not leave out the fact that we have great seafood resturants.

My favorite choices for hotel accomidations would be on The Kent Narrows. Which is situated on the other side of The Chesapeak Bay Bridge.

On the opposit side of Kent Island. As you pass back on to the Eastern Shore mainland.Talk about spectacular location!It would still be only a half hour to get to the stadium.

Con?Regarding staying on the Narrows. Ocean City traffic! We're talking Labor Day weekend.

If you're coming FROM the eas,t on 50/301, it wont be a problem. Coming from the west.

Route 50/301 is The Ocean Gateway. It's the major route too Ocean City Maryland. Talk about a bottleneck! LOL

Having an EZpass helps bigtime! Even if it's an out of town, you pay full fare but breeze thru faster than, if you have to stop to pay toll. Which you only pay going east.

But I don't want to dewell on the negative. Because it's well worth it. If you choose the Narrows. You just have to time your arrival at the venue well.

Getting to the venue from the East is easier and faster than if your coming from the West on rt. 50/301 or from the North in Richie Highway/rt. 2.

Maryland is a wonderful place to visit. Baltimore is North. Washington D.C is not far, West on rt. 50. You can catch the metro from Carrolton station.

Which will drop you off, right on the Mall. If you want to take a day trip to see our FREE Nations Capitol Museums.

Don't miss the Botanical Gardens, close to the Capitol Building! Plants and Trees from all over the world.

Ocean City is west . Kind of far for a day trip. Just don't go there! It'll be Labor Day!

If you want to sit on sand go to Sandy Point. Which exits at the western side of the Bay Bridge.

Lots of Historical places to visit in Maryland..

I could go on and on, expounding on, the virtues of Maryland. I'll wait and let you all do a bit of investigating on your own.

There are lots of high schools and community collages for practice sites.

As for the weather, it's farther south then the venues of the past. So you'll find it much warmer. Evenings are beginning to get cool, this time of the year.

Weather here can NOT be predicted. We have the mountains in the west and the Ocean in the east. A situation that confounds the best of weathermen.

I've lived in Maryland most of my life. I've also been a Drum Corps Nut all my life and for DCA Finals to come here? This close to my home!

There is a GOD!

Thanks for the critique Cindy. I had been to Annapolis only once and that was MANY years ago so my mind is a little fuzzy,...no make that VERY fuzzy about that visit. While the trip from Pittsburgh is about the same distance as for Rochester being in the East brings it closer for me. I have a half sister who lives in Abingdon so that helps quite a bit in one respect. Like Jim Fawber I too will make a road trip to scope out the area. As for hotels to stay at??? Gee, I thought we were all staying at your house. :ph34r: Just kidding. And like Tom said I too love your enthusiasm and thanks for sharing that enthusiasm with all of us. How is that little Drum Corps that you were working with doing? And how are you progressing with your change over to soprano from baritone. I hope both are coming along nicely.

Your assessment of Maryland is right on. Talk about "Southern Hospitality". I remember years,...no decades ago when I would travel down route 95 from NYC and crossing over from Delaware into Maryland there used to be a big sign (it's not there any more) saying "WELCOME TO MARYLAND, PLEASE DRIVE GENTLY".

Oh, and Tom, considering this thread is basically in regards to DCA, if it weren't for Henry "Lefty" Mayer there would be no DCA to celebrate. Let's add him to your list. :tongue:

Go Navy, beat Army.... looking forward to Annapolis, even though DCA won't be in my home town anymore. :tongue:

For groups traveling from elsewhere like Renegades, etc. it'll be fun to visit a new location and what not.

For the northeast types who are used to driving no more than 3 hrs to get to a Finals location, it'll probably suck.

Looking forward to this trip. Since my in-laws live in the DC and Phila areas, this is prolly my best chance for them and my wife to see a championships.

Robert