DCA Finals 2012

Could be, but it was my understanding that those Corps that perform a drill go to the "head of the line". I'm pretty sure that is why the Skyliners Alumni are now doing a drill. I know that in the past they (and at the time we) "refused" to even consider doing a drill. Perhaps they were motivated to do a drill to insure being able to perform at the Spectacular. Is there anyone from them who would care to illucidate?

nah Mike.... someone is creating something I'm sure doesn't exist... only parameter is entertainment value and with Sky that is moot as I believe as the alumni of a charter member they would always be welcome... unless they failed to entertain and knowing you guys (I include you) - you would pull yourself out rather than reach that point.

Negotiations are on going with several alumni corps... Other than the big question "will they entertain?" The only other criteria that I can confirm is that alumni of current and past DCA corps get priority consideration, but doesn't that just make sense? Even with admitting this, when an entertainment powerhouse like Bayonne Bridgemen or Chicago Royal Airs is available... they are there... there is no mandate as to how many corps can be in the show but the magical 10 number would seem to be the max due to time limitations... 8 was very comfortable and I was told by several alumni directors they were good with that... but you might see more in 2011 - I can only confirm that negotiations are ongoing and that it is Larry Hershman handling it.

Location will dictate travel expense - the change in location in 2012 will cause each participant to re-evaluate their situation financially... I can only assume that 2012 may see some changes to the line up... but we're way premature to even worry about that... let's settle 2011 first.

but let's put to bed any rumor that might lead to a conspiracy theory... how much drill an alumni corps does or does not do is only a factor as it might relate to how the corps entertains... If Sky chose to do some drill, it was their choice ... no pressure from any outside factor...

Edited by TomPeashey

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What Tom said.

BTW.... has anyone mentioned that Baltimore's BWI is a great airport, and very convenient to Annapolis? :tongue:

Perhaps they were motivated to do a drill to insure being able to perform at the Spectacular. Is there anyone from them who would care to illucidate?

Mike,

Hey, wait a minute, you can't fool me - isn't illucidate spelt with an "E" ?? :thumbup:

When Sky Alumni first did a drill back in 2008 Spectacular, we did it for a couple of reasons,

none of which was to secure an invite.

1) The rank/file were tired of the park/bark thing and felt we needed some, even if a little, motion

to help "liv'in things up". So the pressure came from within the line and the troops were very excited after our performance at the Specatular, hence we vowed to continue.

2) At the same time we, on the BoD, also felt it was something that the fans wanted, judging from the excitement we saw being generated by other corps doing a drill. Hence, we felt it was in our best interest, and a much better marketing of our product, to put some kind of motion into our show.

In 2009, we were a little too ambitious causing us to shelve the idea after some rehearsals, until 2010. We learned quickly that finding the right balance regarding drill complexity and the amount of time in motion was key. We knew with limited rehearsal time we needed something simple, yet effective, and we believe we accomplished what we wanted to this past season. The plan is to continue to move forward, and in this regard and to help improve the visual performance in 2011, we will make use our new VFW home at 513 Veterans Place, Hasbrouck Heights, NJ 07604 as an indoor, off-season drill practice facility as well as for our music rehearsals. In weather emergencies, we could learn most of the drill indoors, if need be.

Our Open House is in 2 weeks (Sunday Oct 24 at noon) so if anyone would like to come down and check us and/or the place out, they are more than welcomed. There will be free food and refreshments. Of course, free applications will be available also. :tongue:

Click on Directions in the upper right corner of the main page of our webite: http://www.skyalumni.org/

Darth Vayda

Edited by cvayda

Mike,

Hey, wait a minute, you can't fool me - isn't illucidate spelt with an "E" ?? :tongue:

When Sky Alumni first did a drill back in 2008 Spectacular, we did it for a couple of reasons,

none of which was to secure an invite.

1) The rank/file were tired of the park/bark thing and felt we needed some, even if a little, motion

to help "liv'in things up". So the pressure came from within the line and the troops were very excited after our performance at the Specatular, hence we vowed to continue.

2) At the same time we, on the BoD, also felt it was something that the fans wanted, judging from the excitement we saw being generated by other corps doing a drill. Hence, we felt it was in our best interest, and a much better marketing of our product, to put some kind of motion into our show.

In 2009, we were a little too ambitious causing us to shelve the idea after some rehearsals, until 2010. We learned quickly that finding the right balance regarding drill complexity and the amount of time in motion was key. We knew with limited rehearsal time we needed something simple, yet effective, and we believe we accomplished what we wanted to this past season.

Darth Vayda

Thanks for the clarification Charlie. See you in Bayonne.

Yeah Mike, Like hopefully next Sat.

Gotta get a refresher for Plymouth, right ? :tongue:

Can't make it next Saturday. I'm judging up in Erie. Hopefully for the Open House the week before Plymouth. I'll probably spend the entire week in Jersey rather then travel back and forth to Pittsburgh. cya then.

For groups traveling from elsewhere like Renegades, etc. it'll be fun to visit a new location and what not.

For the northeast types who are used to driving no more than 3 hrs to get to a Finals location, it'll probably suck.

for some yes. some have not made the trip north to rachacha that will now be interested in going to Maryland

For groups traveling from elsewhere like Renegades, etc. it'll be fun to visit a new location and what not.

For the northeast types who are used to driving no more than 3 hrs to get to a Finals location, it'll probably suck.

Not sure for anyone other than Cru, Empire or Brigs it only took 3 hours to get to Rochester.

Happy if it is possible to make it in 6. And I'm a northeast type.

Please stop generalizing.

Funny thing is I use to travel more than 6 hours just for REHERSAL.

Shows were 21+ hours away.

I look forward to Annapolis in 2012.