DCA Finals 2012

And .

Grenadiers....considerably further

White Sabers....considerably further

Any new corps from Canada..considerably further :tongue:

But still closer for any corps south of DC. I think that more corps will benefit from this move. It's worth a shot!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For groups traveling from elsewhere like Renegades, etc. it'll be fun to visit a new location and what not.

For the northeast types who are used to driving no more than 3 hrs to get to a Finals location, it'll probably suck.

That would be ONE corps last year, the Statemen...........

That would be ONE corps last year, the Statemen...........

technically, Statesmen AND Dansville White Sabers...

technically, Statesmen AND Dansville White Sabers...

Did Empire stay in a hotel over DCA Weekend to keep everyone together? Know White Sabers were at the Airport Holiday Inn with us the last 2 or 3 years. Got to hear them play one last time together last two years.

LOL 1979 for Hershey DCA Westshoremen "home based" at our City Island (Harrisburg) practice parking lot field. Corps used city buses (no bathrooms) to get to Hershey. Of course that was in the same day Prelims/Finals days.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Any thoughts about the stadium itself? I've been to a couple USSBA shows there over the past few years as a band staff member and I have some concerns. Those being:

1) the seats are very low-angled, if that makes any sense. It is in now way "stadium seating" meaning as you go farther up, you get considerably farther away from the field.

2) If you sit in the back of the lower deck (under the second-tier overhang) the noise coming from the concessions behind you is extremely loud. I made the mistake once of running up there to watch my band perform and didn't hear a single note due to the sounds drifting up from behind.

3) the PA system is a bad set-up, there are speakers in every corner pointed somewhat towards the field, creating a MASSIVE delay from what you hear from the speakers near you and what you hear coming from the other side of the stadium. It almost drowns itself out.

That being said, the stadium is beautiful, the field turf is in terrific condition, the surrounding areas offer a lot of great options for food, nightlife, scenery, etc. I am extremely happy about this, I've just noticed some issues with the stadium during my time at band shows there that I haven't seen discussed yet.

Any thoughts about the stadium itself? I've been to a couple USSBA shows there over the past few years as a band staff member and I have some concerns. Those being:

1) the seats are very low-angled, if that makes any sense. It is in now way "stadium seating" meaning as you go farther up, you get considerably farther away from the field.

2) If you sit in the back of the lower deck (under the second-tier overhang) the noise coming from the concessions behind you is extremely loud. I made the mistake once of running up there to watch my band perform and didn't hear a single note due to the sounds drifting up from behind.

3) the PA system is a bad set-up, there are speakers in every corner pointed somewhat towards the field, creating a MASSIVE delay from what you hear from the speakers near you and what you hear coming from the other side of the stadium. It almost drowns itself out.

That being said, the stadium is beautiful, the field turf is in terrific condition, the surrounding areas offer a lot of great options for food, nightlife, scenery, etc. I am extremely happy about this, I've just noticed some issues with the stadium during my time at band shows there that I haven't seen discussed yet.

The Presidents Own Don't seem to have a problem with it. Just saying. :laughing:

I love it.

Airpiort c onveinence for the non east coast corps to travel into is terrifc. Many Non Stops into IAD, DCA, or BWI- including Southwest, Jet Blue, and Virgin... :laughing:

Exposure for the DC/Baltimore region to drum corps- it should happen more often.

This regions public schools have great music programs, so any exposure to corps, increasess their awareness.

The fact that its at the Naval Academy. That in itself. And I think a lot of guys will dig just walking around that campus.

Not to mention...DC. A major city is close by- maybe 30 miles? Annapolis is not bad, but why not visit DC? Not only that, but DC is very accessable for anyone to experience. Good Metro. Free Muesems. Free Memoirals. And for young people, or young at heart, its a city with a lot to do. Clubs, restaurants...Georgetown and Adams Morgan. Great party places. And if you really want to, you can dispaly your civic pride and participate in a rally on the Mall- just sayin.

Lastly, I may be biased when I say this ( I grew up in Northern Viorginia), but I am thrilled its "back home".

Edited by Dmlkmen

Exposure for the DC/Baltimore region to drum corps- it should happen more often.

Between Shows and Parades I have been before the Baltimore crowds a lot over the years and they are some of the best and most welcoming fans I have ever played in front of.