How much longer...

And how many years will it take for the DCA corps to come up with good amps across the full spectrum of all the corps you ask?????????????

Glad you asked.

Not sure about that one.

DCI is still trying to get the bottom feeders up to speed with decent sound systems and they are far from having it up to speed. In the meantime we are going to have to put up with some really bad amplified pits all in the name of keeping up with the Jones's

Then there is the whole logistics of securing facilities and practice areas that can support sound systems.

How many of you have had to play in poorly lit High School Stadiums because it was summer time and the HS campuses were not ready for field lighting conditions yet? Its happened twice to me as a marcher and have seen it several times over my years as a fan. And now you want to add in the logistics of a sound system being parked on the sideline and at the rehearsal sites? How crazy does that sound????

to be honest? the top end of DCI is lacking in the uality of equipment and it's usage. sadly, the best corps in regards to electronics usage and knowledge is Teal Sound, and they are what, 19th place?

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yep. My corps died 9 years ago. kids locally don't know the name, excpt a few who know of the indoor guard started last year. When you say "yeah we won DCA in 96", they may know Bucs, but to them 96 is the year they were born.

I had a similar discussion recently with a drum corps vet that I have a lot of respect for.

The question was "who is going to care if XYZ corps fold"

Of course the logical answer is the vets, the members participating and their family. Then you may have a limited amount local people that actually follow the DCA circuit that are sad to see you go. Then there are the die hard DCA fans that hate to see any corps go. Maybe 10,000 people?

Excluding those folks go back to the original question. "who is going to care".

Look around your community and the people in it, Think about all the businesses in your area. Think about all the art programs and charities. Think of all the HS band programs. Is there really anyone that would care that you are gone? Most probably did not know you exsisted in the first place and the rest probably will not miss you.

Now what does all of that have to do with the topic at hand? I have no clue. Jeff went there. :tongue:

to be honest? the top end of DCI is lacking in the uality of equipment and it's usage. sadly, the best corps in regards to electronics usage and knowledge is Teal Sound, and they are what, 19th place?

And what is that saying for the use of electronics in drum and bugle corps?

I have yet to see where electronics has made a difference in placements. Sure we have had some really creative use of electronics mostly amplified pit instrumentation but we have also seen it abused to the point where it creates vomit.

Such "back and forth sniping" is in bad form and poor taste..... just saying.

OK... enough from you, mister. :tongue:

I had a similar discussion recently with a drum corps vet that I have a lot of respect for.

Of course the logical answer is the vets, the members participating and their family. Then you may have a limited amount local people that actually follow the DCA circuit that are sad to see you go. Then there are the die hard DCA fans that hate to see any corps go. Maybe 10,000 people?

Look around your community and the people in it, Think about all the businesses in your area. Think about all the art programs and charities. Think of all the HS band programs. Is there really anyone that would care that you are gone? Most probably did not know you exsisted in the first place and the rest probably will not miss you.

Now what does all of that have to do with the topic at hand? I have no clue. Jeff went there. :tongue:

like i said before this activity is very obscure. even if there were 20,000 people who actually know DCA exists back in the day the dream got that on one sunday afternoon. times have changed and people move on. it really dosen't matter. does anybody know the attendence fiqures for DCI?

Skydrummer started it :tongue:

And what is that saying for the use of electronics in drum and bugle corps?

I have yet to see where electronics has made a difference in placements. Sure we have had some really creative use of electronics mostly amplified pit instrumentation but we have also seen it abused to the point where it creates vomit.

honestly what I think it says? judges avoid it at all costs, and the system allows it

like i said before this activity is very obscure. even if there were 20,000 people who actually know DCA exists back in the day the dream got that on one sunday afternoon. times have changed and people move on. it really dosen't matter. does anybody know the attendence fiqures for DCI?

nothing concrete since 07. they wont release it

nothing concrete since 07. they wont release it

that's interesting. DCA dosen't either. i guess the low numbers don't want to be exposed. i can understand that.

I'm sure the economy has hurt to a degree. But honestly, I think going to the same place for several years in a row hurts too.

that's interesting. DCA dosen't either. i guess the low numbers don't want to be exposed. i can understand that.