How much longer...

You have some very good points, and I believe that your heart is in the right place. BUT,,, don’t mess with a good thing! Its that simple,,, you will at some point in your life realize that maybe,,, just maybe,,,, that your elders had it right!!!!! And all we had to do was simply build on what they laid out for us.

It really is that simple,

You're kidding right? What we did in the sixties and seventies was VERY different than what was done in the 40's and 50's. What elders of any era have right is right for that time, C'mon man, things change, you can complain about it which is your right but, nothing you say on some forum is going to change what is. Hell I marched in a lot of BIG shows and the thrill I had winning DCA in 1975 felt the same when I won in 2000.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're kidding right? What we did in the sixties and seventies was VERY different than what was done in the 40's and 50's. What elders of any era have right is right for that time, C'mon man, things change, you can complain about it which is your right but, nothing you say on some forum is going to change what is. Hell I marched in a lot of BIG shows and the thrill I had winning DCA in 1975 felt the same when I won in 2000.

and you are right frank. but some of us get stuck on our way. i know your right but i'm stuck in the way it was in my day. you are the voice of reason.

I got a question. How many of you on this thread that advocate adding amps/electronics go to any Bands of America shows? How about Brass Bands of America (NABBA)? The reason I ask is, I attend both as well as DCI and DCA.

I attend USSBA shows in the fall, with the band I arrange for and teach. Just about every week from mid Sept-Nov (Nationals). We mic the marimba(s) and vibes, as well as solo instruments...this year an electric cello. Two years ago an amplified English horn.

You have some very good points, and I believe that your heart is in the right place. BUT,,, don’t mess with a good thing! Its that simple,,, you will at some point in your life realize that maybe,,, just maybe,,,, that your elders had it right!!!!! And all we had to do was simply build on what they laid out for us.

When was drum corps ever not "messed with?" from adding valves, slip-slides rotors, 2-valve, 3-valve....adding voices like the mello, contra, euphonium. Look at a drum line from 1960 and the percussion section from 2010...a HUGE difference. Or visual techniques and design...or the use of the guard...

No! I'm not kidding at all! I also watched Drum Corps evolve, I’m not stuck in the 60’s, the 90’s or 2k’s .

The fact of the matter is that don’t mess with a great thing that we have been given by our elders. We are NOT talking about key of an instrument,,, or how many drums you carry or don’t carry,, we are talking about a FUNDAMENTAL change!

Maybe this will help,,,

FUNDAMENTAL

a : serving as an original or generating source : primary <a discovery fundamental to modern computers>

b : serving as a basis supporting existence or determining essential structure or function : basic

c : of or relating to essential structure, function, or facts : radical <fundamental change>; also : of or dealing with general principles rather than practical application <fundamental science>

d : adhering to fundamentalism

e: of, relating to, or produced by the lowest component of a complex vibration

f: of central importance : principal <fundamental purpose>

g: belonging to one's innate or ingrained characteristics : deep-rooted <her fundamental good humor>

When was drum corps ever not "messed with?" from adding valves, slip-slides rotors, 2-valve, 3-valve....adding voices like the mello, contra, euphonium. Look at a drum line from 1960 and the percussion section from 2010...a HUGE difference. Or visual techniques and design...or the use of the guard...

Here come the flames,,,,,,, :devil:

No! I'm not kidding at all! I also watched Drum Corps evolve, I’m not stuck in the 60’s, the 90’s or 2k’s .

The fact of the matter is that don’t mess with a great thing that we have been given by our elders. We are NOT talking about key of an instrument,,, or how many drums you carry or don’t carry,, we are talking about a FUNDAMENTAL change!

Maybe this will help,,,

FUNDAMENTAL

a : serving as an original or generating source : primary <a discovery fundamental to modern computers>

b : serving as a basis supporting existence or determining essential structure or function : basic

c : of or relating to essential structure, function, or facts : radical <fundamental change>; also : of or dealing with general principles rather than practical application <fundamental science>

d : adhering to fundamentalism

e: of, relating to, or produced by the lowest component of a complex vibration

f: of central importance : principal <fundamental purpose>

g: belonging to one's innate or ingrained characteristics : deep-rooted <her fundamental good humor>

The difference is I did it, not watched it

the problem isn't if I agree or not. I have no power. it's up to those in power. if I find myself not liking it as much, I'll go less.

You have some very good points, and I believe that your heart is in the right place. BUT,,, don't mess with a good thing! Its that simple,,, you will at some point in your life realize that maybe,,, just maybe,,,, that your elders had it right!!!!! And all we had to do was simply build on what they laid out for us.

We the generation of the 60's and 70's who were taught the "fundamentals" were also given the gift of innovation and exploration (at least I know I was). That's why I find interesting that a lot of us are so hard on the innovations and exploration that followed us.

the problem isn't if I agree or not. I have no power. it's up to those in power. if I find myself not liking it as much, I'll go less.

You do have the power! We all do! DCI will never see another Penney from me, and many others that don’t like what the product is. If DCA is dumb enough to follow DCI,, then they would loose me and many many others. DCA couldn’t tolerate that kind of financial hit.