How much longer...

well, they claim they have adjusted technique ( in limited cases) and gone to softer mallets ( in many cases.) but softer mallets and no technique adjustment doesn't make it softer when plugged in

But those things (and mallet technique has been adjusted in a lot of cases from my viewing) help improve the sound. No reason for it to be softer, as the balance is just fine for the most part. As with anything, some groups have balance issues at times.

I saw the difference this season with the band I write for and teach. We were late getting mics set on the marimba, and once we did..we had to soften the mallets the players used...which really improved the sound produced. It was quite a dramatic change.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah sorry got to do the commute at some point in the day Jeff. :tongue:

How I took the comment was very simple internet forum basics. A post was quoted and responded to with insults. It appeared that the poster responding was referring to the poster being quoted, especially when using the word "you" in the very first sentence after the quote. Thus, telling Jeff, a 40 year old man to go back to "romper room" and let the adults have an intelligent conversation was insulting on many levels. People who have different thoughts on the topic aren't adults?

And the facts have been twisted repeatedly. Band people ARE drum corps people. Telling them to get out of drum corps is going to leave drum corps empty. That's one good way to really kill off the activity once and for all. Amplification and electronics HAS already been proposed in DCA. So pitying that director isn't going to do you, WBB, or anyone else any good. You're 2 years too late.

People are getting ###### off and telling others to go away for no good reason. To quote a friend from the morning of prelims in 94 as 2 drummers started beating the heck out of each other (again for no good reason) "Why can't we all just get along?"

And for the legal cracks WBB? I can tell you more legal jokes that you can research on the net tonight. Your comment was what lost me on the credibility factor because you didn't have your facts right.

for the record... I am 40, but my wife is the adult in the household.

thank you

not really Mike. what it's done is caused them to turn the dial up to 11. This aint Spinal tap

But those things (and mallet technique has been adjusted in a lot of cases from my viewing) help improve the sound. No reason for it to be softer, as the balance is just fine for the most part. As with anything, some groups have balance issues at times.

I saw the difference this season with the band I write for and teach. We were late getting mics set on the marimba, and once we did..we had to soften the mallets the players used...which really improved the sound produced. It was quite a dramatic change.

Hopefully never. I'd hate to have DCA be dead to me along with DCI.

I saw the difference this season with the band I write for and teach. We were late getting mics set on the marimba, and once we did..we had to soften the mallets the players used...which really improved the sound produced.

....in your opinion.

As for me, I find the sound of pit instruments piped through a PA speaker to be a poor substitute for the original acoustics. The distortion of a marimba's color by the best of speakers is more dramatic than the difference in mallet selection. A whole lot of expensive equipment purchase and lugging of heavy equipment that, in the end, makes my listening experience worse. But your mileage may vary....

....in your opinion.

As for me, I find the sound of pit instruments piped through a PA speaker to be a poor substitute for the original acoustics. The distortion of a marimba's color by the best of speakers is more dramatic than the difference in mallet selection. A whole lot of expensive equipment purchase and lugging of heavy equipment that, in the end, makes my listening experience worse. But your mileage may vary....

Awesome post.

Awesome post.

agreed and that young man knows more about SOUND than any of us will ever learn... good point Ken

to be honest? the top end of DCI is lacking in the uality of equipment and it's usage. sadly, the best corps in regards to electronics usage and knowledge is Teal Sound, and they are what, 19th place?

Teal Sound has a very concept on use of electronics, of course... :lol: But...You must have not heard Cavaliers, Bluecoats or Devils...at the top level electronics are used where they make the show BETTER. The bad part is as usual the lower corps dont have the budget to keep up with the equipment that is introduced and updated every year.