How much longer...

Studying "history", with regard to politics is something every politician should do on a regular basis. Who was it that said "those who refuse to learn from history are condemed to repeat it"? Henry Kissinger said once that all History is cyclical in nature. A credible opinion can certainly come from one who retired from active participation in drumcorps. The various Halls of Fame have many members who are no longer actively participating, yet whose opinions are still valid and even valuable.

Rather than consider such a person to be irrelevant to todays version of drumcorps, we should consider them a "resource". Allow me to put forth the following with regard to 1975 politics and history. Many of the current administration's comments regarding the war in Iraq almost MIRRORED" comments made regarding the war in Viet-Nam! "The more things change the more they stay the same". The current administration could learn a great deal from "History", appparently.

Credability comes from "experience". experience comes from "age'. Contributing views on drumcorps in todays world from a 1975 perspective is not only possible, but valuable. The same concept is possible in Politics and in some circumstances, vital to our National Security.

And I don't mean any disrespect as well. :laughing:

Very well put HB.

To answer your question:

George Santayana is often misquoted. What he did say in his book Reason in Common Sense was:

"Those who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it,"

BIO;

George Santayana (December 16, 1863, Madrid – September 26, 1952, Rome), was a philosopher, essayist, poet, and novelist.

A lifelong Spanish citizen, Santayana was raised and educated in the United States, wrote in English and is generally considered an American man of letters, although, of his nearly 89 years, he spent only 39 in the U.S. He is perhaps best known as an aphorist, and for the oft-misquoted remark, "Those who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it," from Reason in Common Sense, the first volume of his The Life of Reason.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very well put HB.

To answer your question:

George Santayana is often misquoted. What he did say in his book Reason in Common Sense was:

"Those who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it,"

BIO;

George Santayana (December 16, 1863, Madrid – September 26, 1952, Rome), was a philosopher, essayist, poet, and novelist.

A lifelong Spanish citizen, Santayana was raised and educated in the United States, wrote in English and is generally considered an American man of letters, although, of his nearly 89 years, he spent only 39 in the U.S. He is perhaps best known as an aphorist, and for the oft-misquoted remark, "Those who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it," from Reason in Common Sense, the first volume of his The Life of Reason.

Thanks for the information! I have often heard "versions" of that quote. I doubt it was "revisionist" in nature... just honest mistakes that produced such "versions".

I totally get where you are coming from and maybe even agree with you on a few things BUT I really just have to wonder someone who doesnt participate,view, or are somehow a part of an ever changing activity contribute creditability to any conversation. Its almost like contributing views on ploltics from 1975 in todays world. It's totally impossibile. JMO...and i dont mean any disrespect at all.

I agree with you. When I read that he hasn't been to a show in years, I was puzzled. He's always first or close to it with the scores after a show and always has a lot to say about something he supposedly isn't interested in. People argue just for the joy of arguing. The subject doesn't matter, it ould be anything.

Have fun!

I agree with you. When I read that he hasn't been to a show in years, I was puzzled. He's always first or close to it with the scores after a show and always has a lot to say about something he supposedly isn't interested in. People argue just for the joy of arguing. The subject doesn't matter, it ould be anything.

Have fun!

so because i haven't been to a show in years i should not comment??? i said i have no VESTED interest. don't parse what i say. and i will always have a lot to say. do you know the difference between argue and debate?? obviously you don't. i had a lot to say years ago and will continue to. i'm not a politician and have never ran for office but i like politics and i participate in many forums. is that wrong to??? there are a lot of people on here that don't go to shows and have a passing interest but they post here and have a lot to say. i'm honest and admit to it so what does that mean? i shouldn't have an opinion? c'mon be real.

yet we were also told Bb brass was the end of the earth....and we have more corps coming to DCA annually than we ever had.

again, i'm no fan of electronics. But...would you go back and have an Edsel even tho cars today are much better?

every generation has their own new ideas.

I never had any problem with B flat horns, I do how ever have a problem with the B flats (or G's for that matter) that sound like Pea Shooters! I prefer the G horn sound myself,, a bit raw,,, bright yet round,,, and most of all, loud!

My whole point here is don't mess with a good thing! Is change always good? Im changing my lunch into energy,,,, good for me, but not for anyone else that gets what's left after that. :laughing:

I got a question. How many of you on this thread that advocate adding amps/electronics go to any Bands of America shows? How about Brass Bands of America (NABBA)? The reason I ask is, I attend both as well as DCI and DCA.

while I don't attend BOA stuff, I do attend TOB events, and some Cavalcade and USSBA stuff as wella s WGI. It's more ingrained in BOA and WGI, but it's influence is growing in TOB and CBA.

Of course I attend usually with the band I work with or when I'm judging. I don't often pay to go see a band show

I never had any problem with B flat horns, I do how ever have a problem with the B flats (or G's for that matter) that sound like Pea Shooters! I prefer the G horn sound myself,, a bit raw,,, bright yet round,,, and most of all, loud!

My whole point here is don't mess with a good thing! Is change always good? Im changing my lunch into energy,,,, good for me, but not for anyone else that gets what's left after that. :laughing:

no change isn't always good. But the list of activities in this world that thought could apply to is endless.

I know my grandmothers generation distrusted computers and laughed at phones in cars. todays generation couldnt imagine life without them.

no change isn't always good. But the list of activities in this world that thought could apply to is endless.

I know my grandmothers generation distrusted computers and laughed at phones in cars. todays generation couldnt imagine life without them.

You have some very good points, and I believe that your heart is in the right place. BUT,,, don’t mess with a good thing! Its that simple,,, you will at some point in your life realize that maybe,,, just maybe,,,, that your elders had it right!!!!! And all we had to do was simply build on what they laid out for us.

It really is that simple,

You have some very good points, and I believe that your heart is in the right place. BUT,,, don’t mess with a good thing! Its that simple,,, you will at some point in your life realize that maybe,,, just maybe,,,, that your elders had it right!!!!! And all we had to do was simply build on what they laid out for us.

It really is that simple,

your not going to get through to these people. we are dino's. that's all they want to know. oh and if your not marching or going to shows........your opinion dosen't matter. of course it dosen't matter that you may be to sick to travel or spend a couple hours sitting on bleachers and be in pain. nope dosen't matter. i guess we should all just go away and let them have it. they don't want your or my kind of corps. but ya know it's ok. we had our time and WE marched during the glory years of drum corps. we had the big crowds . the really big shows. now they put 4,000- 5,000 people in the stands and call that success. in my day that was a pretty small time show.