Most Exciting Senior Corps, Early DCA

Cozy made sure I heard the Audio of 72 Cru. :worthy: Didn't you guys play a show in Racine that year? If ya did, I'm sure they heard you in Michigan as you played backfield in Horlick towards the Lake! :worthy:

I'd LOVE to see Pheonix!

Everyone over to Toms house, I got the popcorn.... :worthy:

Glad you said about Racine HB. FINALLY remembered that I have a cassette of four corps (Cru, Cabs, MBI, Pitt Rockets) at that show. Bought a 3 cassette set of "Dale Johnson Nostalgia" and those shows were on it. Dang, I gotta get this burned to CD and I'm working this weekend. :worthy:

And Fran, my 77 Mats was Danville Memorial Day (Sat) exhibiton. Bleachers were so low the people on the bottom row had their feet on the warning track and people walking by blocked their view. Forget where I sat exactly but horn bells were at head level during the company fronts. :worthy:

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forget where I sat exactly but horn bells were at head level during the company fronts. :worthy:

That was a very good place to be when viewing the Matadors that year. Those guys could bring it.

Horlick field in Racine the night before Chicago 72 was an amazing evening of drum corps and not a judge to be found... just every major junior corps in the audience watching... a post dci gift for a number of corps... DCI #1 was the night before in Whitewater...

When you listen to the recording... be sure to catch the youngster in the audience who at the quiet ending of Battle Hymn yells out "holy Sh....t" Every single member of the corps heard it and it pumped up the exit big time...

Horlick field in Racine the night before Chicago 72 was an amazing evening of drum corps and not a judge to be found... just every major junior corps in the audience watching... a post dci gift for a number of corps... DCI #1 was the night before in Whitewater...

When you listen to the recording... be sure to catch the youngster in the audience who at the quiet ending of Battle Hymn yells out "holy Sh....t" Every single member of the corps heard it and it pumped up the exit big time...

1965 Grey Knight Crusaders (Devil at 4 O'Clock, etc.)

1965 Sunrisers (WSS; Old MacDonald's Farm) (* Not DCA yet)

1960 - 1969 Sky - take your pic.

1966 Sun(The Joker)

1968 Sun (Procession of the Nobles)

1969 Sun (Dorritie, Murphy, Downey, et al.)

1965 Reading - Hora Stacatto - Frank Ferraro

1965 Reilly - Stardust

60s Archie - Camelot; I Want to Hold Your Hand; etc.

1969 Hurcs Les Preludes (Liszt); Queen of Sheba

I've heard about 1972 Reading; Hurcs; Sky; Cabs, but I have to accept it all as I was overseas the entire year.

Hairbair... I'd be glad to provide you with an audio of 72 Cru and if I can make the puter work right... a dvd of 75 Phoenix... but only if the copying works... hopefully it will... email me if interested...

I still remember watching '75 Phoenix from the (wet) track. I hadn't heard about them in advance and had to catch them after seeing their prelims score and placement. Listening to Corky's "Land of Make Believe" I remember thinking, "yeaaaah. Interesting!" Single only time I ever caught them.

My first DCA experience was the 1975 Dream Contest in Roosevelt Stadium Jersey City, NJ.

I remember being blown away by all the Corps (Cabs, Hurcs, Sky, Yankee Rebels and Matadors) but I really, really liked the Matadors!

My home team had a rough day, so I don't remember too much about that, except for Bob Gironda on those bari solos! :worthy:

Tough to believe that was 35 years ago.......yikes.

Edited by Dennis Argul

Sky. The music was always the best. If only they could have marched.

for me - there is nothing that compares with the 1972 New York Skyliners

IMHO the line that they could not march was a fabrication to hold them down ( just like today's adjudicary biases )

for anyone who wants to see this gem of a program it's available from the Haas site - Drum Corps Videos

during the off the field there are two walls that fold down onto a middle company front that is just unreal!

and the other corps that year were equally unreal - fortunately for me i am old enough to have seen it live.

I must agree with fecontra: for excitement, no one does it better then SKY did in 72, and going back a little further, SKY in 65 and 66......no one got the audience going better than they did. NO ONE did it like SKY back then.

Yes, there were others that were good, and I can see that people pick the corps they marched in, but when it came to excitement.......it had to be Skyliners.

I must agree with fecontra: for excitement, no one does it better then SKY did in 72, and going back a little further, SKY in 65 and 66......no one got the audience going better than they did. NO ONE did it like SKY back then.

Yes, there were others that were good, and I can see that people pick the corps they marched in, but when it came to excitement.......it had to be Skyliners.

I didn't pick corps I marched in. LOL! Like Mr. Fallon, I too was overseas in 1972/73. I missed my chance to see the corps I mentioned. :worthy: