Most Exciting Senior Corps, Early DCA

Cozy made sure I heard the Audio of 72 Cru. :smile: Didn't you guys play a show in Racine that year? If ya did, I'm sure they heard you in Michigan as you played backfield in Horlick towards the Lake! :worthy:

I'd LOVE to see Pheonix!

Yes, they did, with Hawthorne, St. Andrew's Bridgemen and Blue Stars also performing. There's a bootleg tape of that floating around. I've heard it. Awesome!!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first DCA experience was the 1975 Dream Contest in Roosevelt Stadium Jersey City, NJ.

I remember being blown away by all the Corps (Cabs, Hurcs, Sky, Yankee Rebels and Matadors) but I really, really liked the Matadors!

My home team had a rough day, so I don't remember too much about that, except for Bob Gironda on those bari solos! :smile:

Tough to believe that was 35 years ago.......yikes.

Man that was a long day for the team... last time I saw them in Cadet uniforms. Vito's solo still echoing in my head - it was that loud.

I think that day was directly responsible for the rebirth the next year though.

i was most impressed at my first senior show, the 64' world open. the hurricanes were electrifying! it was at that show that i effectively became a hurc...though it didn't actually happen for just over a year later! but beyond my home team........................

the best corps of my time, bitd, i believe, was the 80' buccaneers....wonderfull show, clicking on all cylinders....impossible to beat!

the most exciting, hands down...the skyliners of the 60's and 70's but specifically the 72' edition of the big red band. when they exploded out of the corner booming "little ol' new york" stadiums shook...surrounding neighborhoods vibrated...and they generally got a standing O about 8 counts in! they were perhaps the loudest corps in history of drum corps. the combination of that power and drietzer arrangements made them a monster!

i have to agree with Oz about their marching....i always believed if they'd paid more attention to there feet, they could have racked up, perhaps, another 5 or 6 championships. in any event, they were fun to watch, left their mark and also a huge void in the all age scene since they left......here's hoping they come back! :smile:

i was most impressed at my first senior show, the 64' world open. the hurricanes were electrifying! it was at that show that i effectively became a hurc...though it didn't actually happen for just over a year later! but beyond my home team........................

the best corps of my time, bitd, i believe, was the 80' buccaneers....wonderfull show, clicking on all cylinders....impossible to beat!

the most exciting, hands down...the skyliners of the 60's and 70's but specifically the 72' edition of the big red band. when they exploded out of the corner booming "little ol' new york" stadiums shook...surrounding neighborhoods vibrated...and they generally got a standing O about 8 counts in! they were perhaps the loudest corps in history of drum corps. the combination of that power and drietzer arrangements made them a monster!

i have to agree with Oz about their marching....i always believed if they'd paid more attention to there feet, they could have racked up, perhaps, another 5 or 6 championships. in any event, they were fun to watch, left their mark and also a huge void in the all age scene since they left......here's hoping they come back! :smile:

Gee Fish ... you're making me blush ... I never figured you for an old sentimental fool ... but, I always suspected you were a closet New Yorker ... LOL ... the 1972 edition of Sky affected a lot of people in a lot of positive ways ... definitely a year I'll never forget ... one of the years we got the feet working correctly under Bobby Hoffman ... I guess the word "early" gets expanded as the longevity of the DCA moves forward ... I too was awe struck during that 64 World Open but, it was the strains of NY NY and not Bill Bailey that drew me to the Sr. Circuit ... I'll never forget Martin's triple-tounging in Allies On The March ... Swan, DeFig and Renny in Misirlou (yes, that's the correct spelling), The Sounds Of The City concert and Pepe passing out in Every Street's a Boulevard ... it was a night the saw NY take every caption except M&M, adding to your "feet" comment ... 1964 World Open ... the first "unofficial" DCA Championship ... glad I was there ...

Andy "Sky: Class of 72 ... and a few others" Lisko

for my favorite year for the most eciting corps i would say 1969 yankee rebels. especially at the A. L NAT'S in atlanta. that show was unbelievable.

for a single show....1971 sky at the dream. i was standing at the 40 after our show and they peeled the skin right off my face.

Any updates from their camp? Anything about Brigs?

While the Crusaders thru the years appreciate all the memories and friends everyone has made, It is impossible for them to come back after a dissolution vote was taken and voted in favor of, per the bylaws of the organization, to dissolve the organization in the beginning of 2010.

That does not mean that something else cannot happen out of the area, as it has supported 2 DCA member drum corps for many years.......... :smile:

Brigs, I have no answer for you, Camel.......have a good one!

BTW,

My Picks are about the same as most of the folks on here but the class act out of all was the Rochester Phoenix!

After winning the whole enchilada that year in Class "A" DCI, US Open "A", Butler Invitational "A" and the NY-Penn Circuit

the nicest and LOUDEST :worthy: suprise was returning from Ohio at Northgate Plaza about 12:30 am and having the Phoenix waiting for us to play their entire show for us!!!! :worthy:

I don't think I have had so much fun since then and watched all my friends kick some serious butt as well as amaze alot of people........even themselves! :smile:

Playing in Cru in 73, was a great horn line too, but was the afterburner to 72 and that was an incredible corps!

Just like junior corps history did not start with DCI in 1972, exciting senior corps did not start with DCA. Evem though I am a Midwesterner, I was fortunate enough to be in the right place at the right time for many milestones.

Who can forget their first time? I was a rookie bando in 1959, and my group had just won American Legion Nationals in Minneapolis! But I sat in the end zone at the night show, totally flabbergasted by precision marching and the blare of G bugles. Right then and there, I knew where my future lay. Hawthorne Cabs, Syracuse Brigadiers, and Skokie Indians repeated as the Top Three.

Who can forget their first road trip? In 1963, three guys experienced their first visit to New York City. Times Square, the subways, the Empire State building, Greenwich Village, Radio City Music Hall, Central Park, Maynard Ferguson at Birdland !!! Across the river, Roosevelt Stadium and the very first World Open. And the indelible impression made by the New York Skyliners.

Washington DC, 1966. Legion Nationals and the most heated ever Clash of the Titans.

Boston, 1967, Legion Nats again. The Conn Hurricanes, man-for-man the loudest hornline ever. And a one-man mellophone line that nearly drowned out the other 42.

Nawlins, 1968. My friends, the new kids on the block, the Sunrisers win the Legion Orange Flag.

Atlanta, 1969. YR and Requiem For an Era.

Racine, 1972. Cabs and Cru, and I am standing 2½ feet from the front sideline on the 47.

A few weeks later, I was back at Roosevelt for DCA. The jury is still out on this one.

1975, Aquinas Stadium in Rochester. Sky over the Cabs by half a tenth! The capstone of early DCA.

great memories Ken... and I have more than a few memories of your corps... Let me know when the jury comes in on 1972 DCA Roosevelt Stadium... been waiting for 38 years...

Golde kind of forgot to mention that in his post he's talking about Greece Cadets coming home after winning DCI Class A... for those who didn't know...

Golde's comments on Cru 2010 come from a former board member - so I guess he should know... I can confirm only that the board did order the corps (per its by laws) to dissolve... Many board members did participate in a meeting shortly thereafter (last January) and invited several of the past leaders of the corps - myself included - to discuss keeping the corps going and moving forward. While some great ideas came out of that meeting - apparently those in control chose to move independently of that group which leads to Golde's comments and a high probability the corps will not come back any time soon.

Although no one from the Brigs has chimed it, I am priviledged to some information that would indicate that the corps has some strong leadership in place, has NOT liquidated any equipment, in conjunction with the Alumni has kept the name active in Central NY and has a winterguard performing for 2011 season. However, the last I spoke with anyone which was over a month ago, they seemed to be firm that all finances be in place before restarting rehearsals for the competing corps. The only question they had was when that would be and I received "mixed signals" from their new management - some wanted to minimize the down time and start up for 2011 and some saying they are financially not ready and that a full start in the fall of 2011 for the 2012 season was more likely. Unlike Cru, they seem to be in full control of their destiny, be examining all options carefully and prudently and a return soon would seem highly probable.