New "Local" Drum Corps Circuit?

Good first step, but to make it really work, they're going to need DCI acting as liaison with the current Open Class members to help give them enough "raw material" to hit the ground running.

If DCI can put some muscle behind this, it could end up being a win/win.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this might be exactly what the whole activity needs. I'm interested to see where this goes.

Anyone know these people? (Jeff? Your part of the country.)

i recognize the names, but I don't know them personally.

There's a thread here http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...=141738&hl=

that I'd like to see you post to with what you are doing or have done to help/promote the activity.

Excuse me, but I have donated enough of my money and time to drum corps the past 12-15 years that I feel I've earned the right to simply question.... "where's the money coming from?" I don't need to justify what I have done to promote the activity on a DCP thread. Conversely, I don't have to question things, but I will because I care.

Look, if they had a better presentation out of the gate, then perhaps I'd be on board. But thus far, all I see is a guy in a Santa Claus suit (not kidding, http://www.facebook.com/people/Roger-Exposito/1318714561) on Facebook who has 600 members. Call me a whiner or negative Nancy, but I have seen way too many "promising" organizations fail because there was no backbone to it. Yes, they earned Bob's graces enough to get promoted on DCI's homepage (Good for them!).

But beyond that, who/what is involved besides the 2 guys and the 3 goals I have read, and where is the financing coming from? To wrap up what I'm saying, just put out some better info to justify to people wanting to spend $$$ to fly out to Philly, that's all. I am ALL FOR new organizations and a way to reach out to the local "hometown" corps idiom or facet a bit more. Who the heck wouldn't be excited about expanding the activity?

Edited by IMcomguy

Upon second and third readings a few things stick out:

"A fundamental element of DCI's strategic plan is to engage more young people..."

"We hope to lend a helping hand..."

"...intend to contribute the best practices of many organizations to lessen the learning curve..."

All wonderful things from DCI that don't sound as though they consider this endeavor to be a competitor to themselves and, in fact, welcome the idea.

Speculation: This was begun on FB "a couple of months ago" during the G8 bruhaha. Lucky timing on the founder's part? Too coincidental to not consider it part of the DCI (or G8) Master Plan? :worthy: Doesn't this provide the "separation" from the Major League that the G7 were looking for or, rather, the platform for it?

Regardless, I fail to see the negatives in this nascent idea. Good for them, IMO.

Hey, I am all for innovation and new emerging organizations, but have you looked at the Facebook page?

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=135418719823076

I don't think it's unfair to have questions when THIS is all there is. Bob is a Facebook fan of them, and I know how some people love to social network, and then throw their position around to promote this through a higher venue (DCI). I'm glad they are endorsing such an organization, and perhaps it has promise. But there is nothing vital or in the least bit informative on their "Facebook" page to show me they have any financial backing or promise right now. And anyone can rent a hotel meeting space for a couple of hours for dirt cheap.

Just saying, with a better presence and with the presentation of more information, one MIGHT consider flying across the country to attend this meeting. But if you know nothing about it, would you do it?

yeah. ya know, DCI was formed in a similar fashion. sometimes all it takes is an idea and interest

Isn't this what was Division III?

Drum Corps NORTH AMERICA. Sounds "local" enough to me. :worthy:

So who's grand vision is this? Roger Exposito? Craig Coldren? And it just happens to be from PA, with no involvement from USSBA, YEA, or Hopkins. Coincidence I guess.

Oh my...

Wow, 600 Members on their "Facebook Page", holy crap! How did you get so popular? This seals it! There is definitely some promise here. I mean, I have only 598 people who are my friends on Facebook right now, so 600 must be astounding. Definitely worthy of promotion on MMML's front page.

I also find their LOGO of utmost professional quality and design. I mean, really. There is no way that a 5 year old using Microsoft Paint and an Arial font could have ever made this. Too cool! And heck, at least it sounds like it could be more successful than "Eklipse Drum and Bugle Corps" out of Westfield, Indiana that some 16 year old kid started last year. Come on folks, drum corps "rebirth" is happening at the hands of DCNA, everyone rejoice! Party at the Hampton Inn in Philly next month!

[/sarcasm]

OK, so I'll be the first to say it. Where is the funding coming from?

Although who am I to question, I guess the Facebook page had enough success thus far to impress Mr. Jacobs of DCI and Jersey Surf, as well as earned enough praise to be marketed by DCI in their e-mail blasts (which by the way, are seriously cluttering my mailbox these days - SUPER 3, SUPER 3, SUPER 3, I GET IT!!!).

Anyway, I'm curious to hear some other thoughts on this without the pessimism that I have.

Wow! First, I and the person who helped do the logo will try to meet your high standards next time. The reason the first meeting is in Philly is that is where most of the interest has been so far. I also expect to be in other area's of the country. I live in Texas and have no affiliation with George Hopkins, DCI or anyone else. DCI offered to put a press release on their site and only a fool wouldn't accept. THERE IS NO FUNDING, we are all doing this on our own dime. I will somehow come up with the money to fly myself to Philadelphia for this meeting. Someone tries to do something good for drum corps and this is the response you come up with? That's been the problem, too much complaining and no action. Well, I decided to do something and you can come along for the ride if you'd like.

Wow! First, I and the person who helped do the logo will try to meet your high standards next time. The reason the first meeting is in Philly is that is where most of the interest has been so far. I also expect to be in other area's of the country. I live in Texas and have no affiliation with George Hopkins, DCI or anyone else. DCI offered to put a press release on their site and only a fool wouldn't accept. THERE IS NO FUNDING, we are all doing this on our own dime. I will somehow come up with the money to fly myself to Philadelphia for this meeting. Someone tries to do something good for drum corps and this is the response you come up with? That's been the problem, too much complaining and no action. Well, I decided to do something and you can come along for the ride if you'd like.

Thank you Craig, you answered the primary question I had.

And I'm glad to see your passion about the activity. I share some of that same passion, I assure you. I've just gotten sick of seeing startup/fledgling organizations FAIL over the years, again and again and again. I can probably name 50 organizations for every 1 that has been successful with no financial backing. But everything has to start from somewhere, I sincerely hope things work out for you and DCNA. With a better business plan, and perhaps additional info in the future, I will consider opening my wallet for your organization and the potential events/organizations that will be under your umbrella.