New "Local" Drum Corps Circuit?

Excuse me, but I have donated enough of my money and time to drum corps the past 12-15 years that I feel I've earned the right to simply question.... "where's the money coming from?" I don't need to justify what I have done to promote the activity on a DCP thread. Conversely, I don't have to question things, but I will because I care.

Look, if they had a better presentation out of the gate, then perhaps I'd be on board. But thus far, all I see is a guy in a Santa Claus suit (not kidding, http://www.facebook.com/people/Roger-Exposito/1318714561) on Facebook who has 600 members. Call me a whiner or negative Nancy, but I have seen way too many "promising" organizations fail because there was no backbone to it. Yes, they earned Bob's graces enough to get promoted on DCI's homepage (Good for them!).

But beyond that, who/what is involved besides the 2 guys and the 3 goals I have read, and where is the financing coming from? To wrap up what I'm saying, just put out some better info to justify to people wanting to spend $$$ to fly out to Philly, that's all.

EDIT: unnecessary now that Craig has posted. EDIT AGAIN: And see? Your question could have been answered without all the panties-in-a-bunch bashing you started with. All you did was insult someone who's stepped forward to help. Sorry you've seen so many orgs fail, but maybe you should do it right yourself or, get behind one and push, or at least wait for more answers before spouting off, eh?

Edited by garfield

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And my apologies for the cynicism (I should have listened to Conan!). :worthy:

I will intently follow the progress of this organization and we'll see what happens. Lord knows we all need something to help revive the Open/D2/D3 type corps activity. Right now, they're a dying artform heeding way to the supercorps philosophy. If the DCNA can provide that and not just be another startup who ends up long forgotten, then I will gladly insert foot in mouth.

Thanks for all the positive feedback (well, most of you). If there is enough interest in what we are

doing there will be meetings in other parts of the country. The FIRST one is in Philly because that is where

most of the interest has been so far. I live in Texas, I marched with the Sky Ryders. All I want is to see is

a return of the "good ol days" and to see more kids be able to march and learn to love drum corps as I do.

If you are interested but can't get to Philly please let us know. This is just the beginning.

Wow! First, I and the person who helped do the logo will try to meet your high standards next time. The reason the first meeting is in Philly is that is where most of the interest has been so far. I also expect to be in other area's of the country. I live in Texas and have no affiliation with George Hopkins, DCI or anyone else. DCI offered to put a press release on their site and only a fool wouldn't accept. THERE IS NO FUNDING, we are all doing this on our own dime. I will somehow come up with the money to fly myself to Philadelphia for this meeting. Someone tries to do something good for drum corps and this is the response you come up with? That's been the problem, too much complaining and no action. Well, I decided to do something and you can come along for the ride if you'd like.

Craig, great idea, and relieving to know it's not Hop's thing. A couple of questions, though: Is your timing as a result of a separation you see within DCI WC and OC, or are you attempting to replicate Div III? Is it strictly informational or do you envision organizing competitions?

Is your vision of DCNA to act as "DCI-lite" in it's responsibilities, or rather to be purely an assistance org?

Gotten 501©3 status? Plan to?

You obviously know there's going to be interest on DCP, so can you expound on the article here?

If we all band together in common purpose, we can kill all dreams anyone has to lend their time and efforts to help our activity grow. I know we've got it in us. :worthy:

Edit: Upon reading further comments, it seems I might have to wait awhile longer in order to encourage the tossing of a grenade into a van full of puppies parked next to a gas station pump. Darn; we're turning soft.

Edited by Michael Boo

And my apologies for the cynicism (I should have listened to Conan!). :worthy:

I will intently follow the progress of this organization and we'll see what happens. Lord knows we all need something to help revive the Open/D2/D3 type corps activity. Right now, they're a dying artform heeding way to the supercorps philosophy. If the DCNA can provide that and not just be another startup who ends up long forgotten, then I will gladly insert foot in mouth.

I started marching with the Sky Ryders in 1974. I wasn't that good but that didn't matter, everyone got the chance to march. Now too many kids are turned away because they can't pass auditions for the corps that remain. All I want to see is for kids like I was to have the opportunity to participate in the greatest activity on the planet. You were right to question, I

have done that myself, there HAVE been a lot of reasons in the past to be cynical, I just decided it was time to ACT. Your post just shows the passion you have for drum corps.

I think this is a great idea and am willing to help in any way I can. Glad to see that a fellow Sky Ryder is involved (I marched in '55-'59) and have been a supporter of drum corps all of my life. I saw what that organization did for our town and how positive an influence it was for many years in this area. I'll bet there are some old Argonne Rebels that would like to help as well. Let's bring drum corps back to it's roots and see what happens. :worthy:

I started marching with the Sky Ryders in 1974. I wasn't that good but that didn't matter, everyone got the chance to march. Now too many kids are turned away because they can't pass auditions for the corps that remain. All I want to see is for kids like I was to have the opportunity to participate in the greatest activity on the planet. You were right to question, I

have done that myself, there HAVE been a lot of reasons in the past to be cynical, I just decided it was time to ACT. Your post just shows the passion you have for drum corps.

All great successes were built on the backs of past failures by people who had only great ideas, vision, and a desire to act.

Love your sig, Craig. As much as we drummers are beaten up for not being music majors (or even musicians!) it's only that way because, despite our ineptness, women love drummers and brass players hate that. :worthy:

My respect for Craig, and my hopes for this new organization have just shot up. Craig obviously "gets it." He's not thin-skinned; he can take criticism and understand that it's really just someone who's passionate. He can take criticism and say "yeah, I'd don't blame you, I do the same things, but I just wanted to ACT."

I don't know Craig one bit, but I can tell he's going to be a very important part of this organization.

But what if Mexico starts putting out drum corps? ;)

Edited by Bruckner8

Drum Corps way back when had a corps in almost every town. It just seems like this is a way to bring the activity back to the communities. The days where you could have midweek sectionals and performances for the town because people didn`t have to fly thousands of miles to do drum corps. The days when many young kids marched corps so they they had structure and stayed out of trouble in their town.

With all the changes in the activity it might be good to take a step back to take a step forward.

Give it a chance. Sounds good to me.