New "Local" Drum Corps Circuit?

If Mexico joins I guess I'll have to get out my Microsoft paint and make a new logo. Oh wait I'm not

computer literate enough to use MS Paint. lol

My respect for Craig, and my hopes for this new organization have just shot up. Craig obviously "gets it." He's not thin-skinned; he can take criticism and understand that it's really just someone who's passionate. He can take criticism and say "yeah, I'd don't blame you, I do the same things, but I just wanted to ACT."

I don't know Craig one bit, but I can tell he's going to be a very important part of this organization.

But what if Mexico starts putting out drum corps? ;)

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well with all of the kicks to the head I have received from being THAT GUY who openly questioned things about finances, I sincerely apologize for anyone I offended. A big thanks to Craig for coming on here and answering that main question. I really DO hope that somehow you can find funding to get this thing off the ground in the future, because 99% of successful business ventures or non-profits find a way to make that happen in order to achieve the growth they need.

If I had any advice for you (not like I deserve to be listened to), it would be to make funding the FIRST thing you discuss beyond the goals, vision, and "come join us" spiel at the meeting. Without the $$$ lifeline, the organization will ultimately fail. Secondly, find others, and open yourself to bringing help on board to manage those finances if you're not educated in running a business. I've been around organizations in the past that had money, but still failed because it was mismanaged. And finally, take it one step at a time. Don't rush into things because you have "x" number of Facebook members.

That is all. Best of luck to you down the road.

(And I know it won't help since I've been quoted enough already, but I'll gladly edit my first post to be a little less abrasive. Somehow.)

Don't change a thing. It's obvious you love drum corps too! Thanks for the advice! I did listen.

Well with all of the kicks to the head I have received from being THAT GUY who openly questioned things about finances, I sincerely apologize for anyone I offended. A big thanks to Craig for coming on here and answering that main question. I really DO hope that somehow you can find funding to get this thing off the ground in the future, because 99% of successful business ventures or non-profits find a way to make that happen in order to achieve the growth they need.

If I had any advice for you (not like I deserve to be listened to), it would be to make funding the FIRST thing you discuss beyond the goals, vision, and "come join us" spiel at the meeting. Without the $$$ lifeline, the organization will ultimately fail. Secondly, find others, and open yourself to bringing help on board to manage those finances if you're not educated in running a business. I've been around organizations in the past that had money, but still failed because it was mismanaged. And finally, take it one step at a time. Don't rush into things because you have "x" number of Facebook members.

That is all. Best of luck to you down the road.

(And I know it won't help since I've been quoted enough already, but I'll gladly edit my first post to be a little less abrasive. Somehow.)

Drum Corps NORTH AMERICA. Sounds "local" enough to me. :worthy:

So who's grand vision is this? Roger Exposito? Craig Coldren? And it just happens to be from PA, with no involvement from USSBA, YEA, or Hopkins. Coincidence I guess.

Oh my...

Wow, 600 Members on their "Facebook Page", holy crap! How did you get so popular? This seals it! There is definitely some promise here. I mean, I have only 598 people who are my friends on Facebook right now, so 600 must be astounding. Definitely worthy of promotion on MMML's front page.

I also find their LOGO of utmost professional quality and design. I mean, really. There is no way that a 5 year old using Microsoft Paint and an Arial font could have ever made this. Too cool! And heck, at least it sounds like it could be more successful than "Eklipse Drum and Bugle Corps" out of Westfield, Indiana that some 16 year old kid started last year. Come on folks, drum corps "rebirth" is happening at the hands of DCNA, everyone rejoice! Party at the Hampton Inn in Philly next month!

[/sarcasm]

OK, so I'll be the first to say it. Where is the funding coming from?

Although who am I to question, I guess the Facebook page had enough success thus far to impress Mr. Jacobs of DCI and Jersey Surf, as well as earned enough praise to be marketed by DCI in their e-mail blasts (which by the way, are seriously cluttering my mailbox these days - SUPER 3, SUPER 3, SUPER 3, I GET IT!!!).

Anyway, I'm curious to hear some other thoughts on this without the pessimism that I have.

Wow. Would have loved to hear your input on the G7 proposals back in May and August.

Wow. Would have loved to hear your input on the G7 proposals back in May and August.

Oh, you missed those? :)

KOOL-AID I tell you!

Speculation: This was begun on FB "a couple of months ago" during the G8 bruhaha. Lucky timing on the founder's part? Too coincidental to not consider it part of the DCI (or G8) Master Plan? :worthy:

No. I heard of this idea a year or two ago....it wasn't just thought up this summer.

Ok Some of you asked for more information on DCNA so here goes. This is MY vision, not any official version of what we will do. The inaugural meeting is to get people involved. People who have financial experience, organization experience, etc etc. To discuss vision, guidelines and where to go from here.

I began marching in a time where there were drum corps of all shapes and sizes in small towns and big cities all over the

country. Everyone got a chance to march, not just the kids who could pass an audition. I started out as a cymbal player and

aged out on snare. I would not have been good enough in the present climate. Many, way too many, kids these days will not have that opportunity. When I started we were small (55 member) but we still learned all the important things you learn from drum corps. Hard work, dedication, teamwork, satisfaction of giving your best. Not to mention the chance to make lifetime friendships.

We didn't go on long expensive tours. There were enough corps within a 1 or 2 day bus ride. Everyone went to each

others shows. Later after we grew and got better we would go on a small tour that ended at DCI and our early morning off

the line at prelims. Prelims was usually our last show.

I want to see the return of small, "hometown" corps. Corps where the kids are all local kids whose parents can support

the corps because it is "theirs". Reduce costs to allow for lower "dues" allowing more kids to participate.

I would like to see a regional system. Corps will compete within their regions, discarding the need for long expensive

tours. The top corps from each region could move on to a "National Championship".

Reduce the max size back to 125/128 thus reducing costs.

Allow any corps of ANY size to compete (no too small corps)

Reduce the amount of "stuff". It costs money in fuel to haul around massive "Broadway shows"

Reduce the size of the pit. Xylophones and marimbas are VERY expensive. They also cost fuel to haul. (personal note, how many xylo's do you need??) NO electronics, guitars, woodwinds etc etc.

Use collective bargaining to reduce costs. There is a plan in the works with an instrument company to

provide instruments (horns and drums) on a rent to own basis. You only need 4 horns, you don't need to buy 10, just

get the 4 you need and pay for those. You grow and need 4 more, get 4 more.

By putting these within the rules it helps smaller corps from feeling the "need" to buy equipment they can't afford to keep up with the "big boys". If DCI is "Marchings Major League" I would like to be it's (and I hesitate to use this word) "Minor League". If any of you have been to a minor league baseball game, they are usually more entertaining and cheaper.

Again. These are the bones of MY VISION. Our meeting in Philadelphia will be the start of organizing, fully, the vision

of DCNA. I've already had an offer to have a meeting in Columbus and I personally would like to have more. Midwest, South, West, Philly is just the start.

Craig

Ok Some of you asked for more information on DCNA so here goes. This is MY vision, not any official version of what we will do. The inaugural meeting is to get people involved. People who have financial experience, organization experience, etc etc. To discuss vision, guidelines and where to go from here.

I began marching in a time where there were drum corps of all shapes and sizes in small towns and big cities all over the

country. Everyone got a chance to march, not just the kids who could pass an audition. I started out as a cymbal player and

aged out on snare. I would not have been good enough in the present climate. Many, way too many, kids these days will not have that opportunity. When I started we were small (55 member) but we still learned all the important things you learn from drum corps. Hard work, dedication, teamwork, satisfaction of giving your best. Not to mention the chance to make lifetime friendships.

We didn't go on long expensive tours. There were enough corps within a 1 or 2 day bus ride. Everyone went to each

others shows. Later after we grew and got better we would go on a small tour that ended at DCI and our early morning off

the line at prelims. Prelims was usually our last show.

I want to see the return of small, "hometown" corps. Corps where the kids are all local kids whose parents can support

the corps because it is "theirs". Reduce costs to allow for lower "dues" allowing more kids to participate.

I would like to see a regional system. Corps will compete within their regions, discarding the need for long expensive

tours. The top corps from each region could move on to a "National Championship".

Reduce the max size back to 125/128 thus reducing costs.

Allow any corps of ANY size to compete (no too small corps)

Reduce the amount of "stuff". It costs money in fuel to haul around massive "Broadway shows"

Reduce the size of the pit. Xylophones and marimbas are VERY expensive. They also cost fuel to haul. (personal note, how many xylo's do you need??) NO electronics, guitars, woodwinds etc etc.

Use collective bargaining to reduce costs. There is a plan in the works with an instrument company to

provide instruments (horns and drums) on a rent to own basis. You only need 4 horns, you don't need to buy 10, just

get the 4 you need and pay for those. You grow and need 4 more, get 4 more.

By putting these within the rules it helps smaller corps from feeling the "need" to buy equipment they can't afford to keep up with the "big boys". If DCI is "Marchings Major League" I would like to be it's (and I hesitate to use this word) "Minor League". If any of you have been to a minor league baseball game, they are usually more entertaining and cheaper.

Again. These are the bones of MY VISION. Our meeting in Philadelphia will be the start of organizing, fully, the vision

of DCNA. I've already had an offer to have a meeting in Columbus and I personally would like to have more. Midwest, South, West, Philly is just the start.

Craig

:worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

Craig, you are awesome!

I am a band director and have been reading DCP for a couple years... one of the reasons local corps have gone down in number is because bands have been growing in schools over the past several decades. That's all well and good, but there's something to be said for music performing ensembles that are independent of the school system... I for one know that music educators like myself would be really excited if there was a local corps participating in your circuit! I'd send ALL my middle and high school brass and percussion kids to get in on a corps if one existed here.

The rent to own idea is PERFECT! It's how my program exists at all. Great idea!

:worthy:

If Mexico joins I guess I'll have to get out my Microsoft paint and make a new logo. Oh wait I'm not

computer literate enough to use MS Paint. lol

And what if Bermuda and the Bahamas wants in? What then? The Bahamas was good enough for Christopher Columbus to be credited with discovering North America. He's even got a national holiday right here in the good old USA named after him. And do we really need to let the Canadians in? I know they're already in DCI, but do you really want to take a chance that a polar bear won't hide inside their equipment truck and break out at a show, rampaging through the stands and devouring corps fans?