major weakness with current A&E

In most real-world situations the mixing board is located well into the audience area to facilitate proper balance for the acoustic at that venue. Drum corps do not have this luxury -- it's just not practical to setup/tear-down in the time window. So the put their board on the track which is obviously NOT the ideal location to adjust to the venue.

Has anyone considered the following:

mixing board <-USB-> computer <-wireless network connection-> ipad or notebook (in the audience) running remote control software and linking to PC in the rack. The operator runs the board from the stands. Levels will always be good !

Seems to me that's very do-able and would help get the amplified sound correct at each performance.

Comments?

hasnt DCI already changed the rule to allow the sound boards in the stands or press box to help with the balance? I believe it goes into effect this next season

In most real-world situations the mixing board is located well into the audience area to facilitate proper balance for the acoustic at that venue. Drum corps do not have this luxury -- it's just not practical to setup/tear-down in the time window. So the put their board on the track which is obviously NOT the ideal location to adjust to the venue.

mixing board <-USB-> computer <-wireless network connection-> ipad or notebook (in the audience) running remote control software and linking to PC in the rack. The operator runs the board from the stands. Levels will always be good !

Seems to me that's very do-able and would help get the amplified sound correct at each performance.

Comments?

Yes actually. I think there might be a corps trying that out this coming season.

ContraFart- they allow someone else in the stands to communicate with the engineer via a walkie talkie or cell phone. It would be impossible to actually have the soundboard up in the stands.

Comments?

Yes they do. You can remote mix from an ipad to some of the digital boards that they have out there now. It is illegal though (but one drum corps did it anyway this last year and got busted doing it finals week). I do think they will probably make it legal for everyone to do it though next season.

Yes they do. You can remote mix from an ipad to some of the digital boards that they have out there now. It is illegal though (but one drum corps did it anyway this last year and got busted doing it finals week). I do think they will probably make it legal for everyone to do it though next season.

i had heard about it too. the biggest issue is what to do at stadiums with no wifi

i had heard about it too. the biggest issue is what to do at stadiums with no wifi

If the ipad is 3G it would work right?

I was under the impression that you do not need an actual wireless internet connection, just a wireless network connection (like when two laptops connect to each other through a user-created network and are not connected to WiFi). There should be a wireless broadcast system of some sorts on the systems, I believe.

I could also be totally wrong.

I am in favor of anything that will cost more money, and in return increase the possiblility of failure. :smile:

because it will cost so much to remotely change the mixing board already in place so that it sounds less like #### in the audience. i'm sure someone on staff using one of their laptops or ipads that they already own will bankrupt every corps and cause DCI to fail.

yet another logic-packed troll post by plankton.

Comments?

The way I understand it is that they do not adjust the levels based on what the operator hears from the track. There is always someone from the staff in the audience with a cell phone or walkie-talkie telling the operator to change the levels.

Edited by charlie1223