How does this community feel about fielding cymbals?

Technically speaking, looking at DCI WC corps usage of synths and amplification vs. their usage of a cymbal line, then you are correct.

And I also wouldn't consider a synth player as a "section" of the corps :thumbup:

rue, just louder than several sections :tongue:

just curious.

If i had it my way every corps would.

I think marching cymbals are absolutely necessary, they add so much flair to the field. And while we're at it, put marching marimbas and bells back on the field. Maybe timpani too. Oh but definitely auxiliary percussion (have one guy with cowbells, etc.)

The only thing funny about this is that you think I'm joking. :P

I fantasize about all corps using field cymbals.

I really like the argument against putting cymbals in the pit that you can also put snares, basses and tenors in the pit -- hell, they're a lot easier to play down there! Also, the difference in sound between a suspended cymbal and a pair of crash cymbals is astounding, and horn players will tend to ignore the difference, but that's 95% of what pits do nowadays. When they do have crash cymbals, the pit people don't even enjoy lugging them around, and their purpose and build is often far darker (thicker and larger) than field cymbals.

Also, there's no point doing cymbal visuals in the pit. It's a little silly.

And the infeasibility of having some people do cymbals some times and pit other times comes from the fact that battery people and pit people are, most of the time, two different breeds, and a pit director would sooner be spat on than have 4 of his players have to be missing for every visual block -- and if they aren't, the visual scores will suffer, and no caption head wants to deal with that headache.

I feel like Madison sold out when it cut the cymbal line. Other parts of the 2010 program were extremely balling and made me very proud, but I was and remain extremely shameful of the missing cymbal line, especially when half of the show featured a prominent field cymbal part (even if a good portion of it was just holding ride). If Crossmen is really cutting their cymbal line, I am a sad.

So yeah, intense bad feelings about cutting cymbal lines.

--NERD ALERT--

But on the other hand (the OP is going to hate me for this :D), this whole nonsense about "ΚΨΜΒΟΣ" / "κφμβοσ", while I really appreciate the movement and the sentiment, needs to get cleared up, bad. If you happen to know anyone who can transliterate Greek, throw that at them. They'll tell you that it basically transliterates as no more legible than "kpsmboz," which is supposed to say "kumbos" -- you're looking for "κυμβος" if it's lowercase, and if you keep it uppercase then you just have to change one character so it says "ΚΥΜΒΟΣ." And even then, that word translates as "cup," not "cymbal." If you wanted it to say "cymbal," you'd have to aim for "ΚΥΜΒΑΛΟ," and then if you wanted it to say "cymbals," you'd have to look at more of a "ΚΥΜΒΑΛA."

Sure, it's kind of nerdy, but it's like seeing Japanese t-shirts that look like this: http://www.engrish.com//wp-content/uploads...confortably.jpg

Edited by Stryfe

We're approaching this the wrong way. Guards are growing while cymbal lines disappear.

So, that in mind, I have a question: What makes more sense in a musical ensemble, a cymbal line, or four more people spinning sabers?

It's a music AND visual ensemble.

And a cymbal line covers both.

and despite the numeric weighting of the sheets, the commentary is skewed to the visual

Of course, cymbal lines are no longer necessary because that's covered in the pit.

Just like contralines are no longer necessary, because their parts are covered in the pit.

Of course, cymbal lines are no longer necessary because that's covered in the pit.

Just like contralines are no longer necessary, because their parts are covered in the pit.

you forgot what covers contra parts in the pit end up covering up everything else too :smile: