2010 DVDs Edits, Etc.

Got my dvds on Friday.

I am curious what folks think of the "editing" of the finals performances most notably Carolina Crown.

- The first thing is the introduction, which has been re-edited so that Crockers' announcement coincides with the appropriate moment in the show.

- The second and perhaps more "crazy" is the removal of the guy that was injured and "went down" near the end of the show.

I would rather have seen Crowns' show "as was" I mean, it is history (not to be overly dramatic), the guy was there, he was injured and to digitally edit him out is not good.

It also looks like they added somebody in his place afterwards, because there is no "hole" when the two side turn to face each other and start the collapsing front .... in fact, the "hole" doesn't show until the curved company front at the very end.

- Another, "gotcha" that I've noticed is also during the Crown portion of the dvd.

At the end while the crowd is going crazy and the corps is still on the field, there is a brief pan of the crowd, and there are Crown Guard members in the audience while Crown is supposed to still be on the field!!

Did Crown have "extra" guard members that would have been in the audience while the corps was on the field??

I think these "edited" moments should be left alone and the performances even with injuries should be recorded and presented as it happened.

I also miss the awards ceremony being included .... anyone else?

I am sure (based on Crowns' edits) there are other corps' that have similar edits/goofs etc.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The question is, do we want an historical documentary, or a fun DVD to watch? I personally would not want to watch that Crown injury repeatedly. There's a long irregular history of this kind of thing being edited out. By irregular, I mean, goofs are not always removed, but it's not new with 2010. I'm all for preserving an entertaining video. Could it be taken too far, say with studio redubs? Sure. But we're not there yet. I'll let you know. :thumbup:

The question is, do we want an historical documentary, or a fun DVD to watch? I personally would not want to watch that Crown injury repeatedly. There's a long irregular history of this kind of thing being edited out. By irregular, I mean, goofs are not always removed, but it's not new with 2010. I'm all for preserving an entertaining video. Could it be taken too far, say with studio redubs? Sure. But we're not there yet. I'll let you know. :thumbup:

I agree with you. I have not even looked at Crown's finals show on the Fan Network because of that injury and not knowing if it is there. Now that I know that the injury is not on the DVD, I'll watch that show on DVD.

The DVDs have been edited for quite sometime. While I don't necessarily agree with that idea (IMO what you do on finals is what should be on the disc, as that's what is scored, that's how it's packaged.), when incidents like what happened with Crown occur, I think it's best to edit it out.

It does however, beg the question: Should the DVDs represent what was?... or what should have been?

Got my dvds on Friday.

- Another, "gotcha" that I've noticed is also during the Crown portion of the dvd.

At the end while the crowd is going crazy and the corps is still on the field, there is a brief pan of the crowd, and there are Crown Guard members in the audience while Crown is supposed to still be on the field!!

Did Crown have "extra" guard members that would have been in the audience while the corps was on the field??

The extra guard members were the one's who helped the injured member off the field. In the original version, you can see the, helping him off, then going up in the stands.

First of all, no actual knowledge contained herein. Just speculation:

I heard that the corps get to choose from the final three performances in Indy as the one to represent their show on the DVD. I don't think they edited the final Crown performance, because the crowd reaction at the end was comparatively muted due to the concern for the injured member, at least from our side of the field.

Edited by Shamu89

Didn't one of Crowns bus drivers carry the kid off the field? I was too shocked to know for sure.

I'm pleased DCI have cut out the injury. Seeing it happen right in front of me was bad enough, watching it over and over again on a DVD is something we should all be spared from.

Didn't one of Crowns bus drivers carry the kid off the field? I was too shocked to know for sure.

I'm pleased DCI have cut out the injury. Seeing it happen right in front of me was bad enough, watching it over and over again on a DVD is something we should all be spared from.

The driver did, but the guard members first helped him to the sideline, where the driver took over.

- The second and perhaps more "crazy" is the removal of the guy that was injured and "went down" near the end of the show.

I would rather have seen Crowns' show "as was" I mean, it is history (not to be overly dramatic), the guy was there, he was injured and to digitally edit him out is not good.

Seriously?.... I guess the other couple of great crown performances that year don't count as history and shouldn't be celebrated over something that horrific to watch. If you want to see people crawling around in pain and agony than watch "The Walking Dead". That kid has to relive that moment a million more times in his life, can't you just let him have a successful performance on the DVD.

You're view of what's wrong with the video really bothers me... Who cares what YOU would rather have seen and how about what the Crown members DESERVE to have on the video.

You're NEVER going to see everything going on during a show with the recordings--the idea that you could somehow document reality from it is a joke. A director is constantly making choices, picking and choosing what cameras to take and what action to show. (Whether it's a football game, drum corps or American Idol.)

If, as a viewer, I'm given a choice to see some poor kid breaking his leg or another, equally worthy part of the show, then I'm going to choose the latter.

Edited by year1buick