Mr. Sondheim says...

I think that's accurate, but if I can make a parallel...there are many who love reality TV (brain numbing as it is) who find shows that require a few more brain cells..boring (unless John Hamm is disrobing someone, of course). In the same way, there is room in drum corps for shows that require very little effort and also those that need you to pay a bit more attention. Who's wrong? Who's right? Who cares!....well unfortuately, some on these boards care...too much to the point of exhaustion. They think that (using the parallel) Mad Men (who get the rewards) are going ruin TV. It's boring therefore it needs to not be rewarded, change or go away!

The problem with your analogy though is that I don't see any drum corps equivalent of either reality TV or your examples of "shows that require more brain cells" and I've yet to hear of anyone complaining that Mad Men are going to ruin television.

So, essentially....there is no analogy.

I think that's accurate, but if I can make a parallel...there are many who love reality TV (brain numbing as it is) who find shows that require a few more brain cells..boring (unless John Hamm is disrobing someone, of course). In the same way, there is room in drum corps for shows that require very little effort and also those that need you to pay a bit more attention. Who's wrong? Who's right? Who cares!....well unfortuately, some on these boards care...too much to the point of exhaustion. They think that (using the parallel) Mad Men (who get the rewards) are going ruin TV. It's boring therefore it needs to not be rewarded, change or go away!

For all the #####ing and moaning you do about "speaking for other people" , you sure do a lot of it in this post.

Just sayin'.

The problem with your analogy though is that I don't see any drum corps equivalent of either reality TV or your examples of "shows that require more brain cells" and I've yet to hear of anyone complaining that Mad Men are going to ruin television.

So, essentially....there is no analogy.

there are plenty of analogies there, actually. similes and metaphors, too.

For all the #####ing and moaning you do about "speaking for other people" , you sure do a lot of it in this post.

Just sayin'.

Why am I not surprised you turned this around. I'm not the one in my analogy, nor am I the one that feels the condition of drum corps requires adjustment. If you do...it's meant for you. #####ing and moaning indeed...you and others are practically part of the glee club.

there are plenty of analogies there, actually. similes and metaphors, too.

That would be the fun of a discussion board....folks who disagree.

I stand by my original assertion. I don't see a parallel relationship between reality TV and drum corps and have yet to hear anyone complain that Mad Men is ruining television.

Edited by CuriousMe

Why am I not surprised you turned this around.

What? Does it seem wee bit irrational to say 'how dare you speak for me?" :thumbup:

I'm not the one in my analogy, nor am I the one that feels the condition of drum corps requires adjustment. If you do...it's meant for you. #####ing and moaning indeed...you and others are practically part of the glee club.

I won't engage in sniping.

Suffice it to say your analogy has no root in reality.

As for the characterization of "many on this board", I'll just say this: show me where I've said BD is going to ruin drumcorps *or* that they're boring *or* that they should go away.

<crickets>

(very long wait)

</crickets>

You just a reactionary, Plan.

(wait wait -- hope you didn't drink yet. please press

and then proceed!)

Go have some more 6a00e5500c77218833011168f234b4970c.jpg.

I promise it will make it all better and soon you'll wonder why you were here at all.

Edited by corpsband

What? Does it seem wee bit irrational to say 'how dare you speak for me?" :thumbup:

I won't engage in sniping.

Suffice it to say your analogy has no root in reality.

As for the characterization of "many on this board", I'll just say this: show me where I've said BD is going to ruin drumcorps *or* that they're boring *or* that they should go away.

<crickets>

(very long wait)

</crickets>

You just a reactionary, Plan. Go have some more 6a00e5500c77218833011168f234b4970c.jpg. I promise it will make it all better and soon you'll wonder why you were here at all.

you're proving his point with fun pictures like that juxtaposed with what you're saying.

i never thought you were like that before.

you're proving his point with fun pictures like that juxtaposed with what you're saying.

i never thought you were like that before.

i used to think plan was rational.

agreed with many things he posted.

but the more i read him, the more i realize he's not arguing from principal at all.

he's just arguing from homerism -- it makes him angry and upset that not everyone unconditionally loves everything his team produces.

i don't think he believes for a minute that anyone could dislike aspects of the direction they've been headed without having some deep-seated hatred toward the program. why do i come to these conclusions? just read his posts. he's begun to let his homerism slip out more and more frequently.

so i'll give him the kool aid every time his motivation appears to come from homerism instead rational discussion.

and you know what -- he'll drink it !!