Mr. Sondheim says...

I had the opportunity to hear Stephen Sondheim speak at UCLA tonight. Drum corps was the furthest thing from my mind until he talked about what made shows flop. He said, "If you're going to ask an audience into your home, you have to treat them as collaborators, not victims."

The audience gave an appreciative and thoughtful "hm..." to this statement. Clearly, it resonated with a lot of people.

I think that's what I love about Sondheim's work the most. The feeling that I'm on a journey with him, allowed to discover and explore with his characters, his melodies, his lyrics, and how they are all seamlessly woven together.

I miss that in drum corp. I really do. Too much of drum corps today is a journey into which I'm only secondarily and begrudgingly invited. It's not that I'm not wiling to stretch for a show. Some of my favorite programs were a chore to keep up with. But I wanted to engage and was happy to do the work because the show and corps asked it of me in overt and subtile ways. Too many shows these last few years have made me entirely coincidental to the experience...like it really wouldn't matter if I were there or not.

To the drum corps creative community... I'm ready to be engaged again. I'm ready to collaborate with you. Make that your challenge for 2011. I'll do my part, but show me you want me there. Let's make art together.

I'm just jealous you got to go to a Sondheim lecture!

I saw Stephen Sondheim give an "interview" lecture in West Palm Beach last year. . . fascinating man, and great understanding of how to connect with an audience.

Loved when he said his most embarrassing work he'd choose not to be remembered for was the song "I Feel Pretty" from West Side Story.

He also talked a lot about his attachment to "Sunday In The Park With George". . . which I felt great attachment to from my year-long adventure with the 1995 Colts' production of that musical.

Inviting the audience "in" is the key. . . if you wouldn't walk across the street to see a group rehearse for free, and words like "clever" and "appreciate" are the first critiques of your work, well. . . :thumbup::tongue::devil:

Chuck Naffier

Really?

I heard Sondheim on Fresh Air. I could have written a similar post for DCP saying how wonderful it is that so many corps today engage me, treat me as a collaborator. How Bluecoats Metropolis and Criminal made me feel invited. How Cavies Mad World seduced me into theirs. How Cadets Conflict and Resolution had me riding along through all the ups and downs. BD's Constantly Risking Absurdity still makes me constantly smile. Phantom? We are Spartacus. Crown's Grass truly felt greener and its crown duly triple. I was there in the Dark Knight and in Europa with Blue Knights. Blue Star showed me Houdini disappear and the Tour. And more.

Had I heard Sondheim say so when I first discovered drum corps in the 70s, I might have said something different. Through the 70s and 80s, I might well have said how the simplicity and sameness of drum corps numbed me. How indulgent of those corps to think I cared so much for Magione. How little regard those corps had for me, the audience, that they would confine the battery to the a narrow strip at the 50 or the guard to such incongruous spinning and regimentation. And more. Really.

HH

Edited by glory

I had the opportunity to hear Stephen Sondheim speak at UCLA tonight. Drum corps was the furthest thing from my mind until he talked about what made shows flop. He said, "If you're going to ask an audience into your home, you have to treat them as collaborators, not victims."

The audience gave an appreciative and thoughtful "hm..." to this statement. Clearly, it resonated with a lot of people.

I think that's what I love about Sondheim's work the most. The feeling that I'm on a journey with him, allowed to discover and explore with his characters, his melodies, his lyrics, and how they are all seamlessly woven together.

I miss that in drum corp. I really do. Too much of drum corps today is a journey into which I'm only secondarily and begrudgingly invited. It's not that I'm not wiling to stretch for a show. Some of my favorite programs were a chore to keep up with. But I wanted to engage and was happy to do the work because the show and corps asked it of me in overt and subtile ways. Too many shows these last few years have made me entirely coincidental to the experience...like it really wouldn't matter if I were there or not.

To the drum corps creative community... I'm ready to be engaged again. I'm ready to collaborate with you. Make that your challenge for 2011. I'll do my part, but show me you want me there. Let's make art together.

Oy. How on earth do you quantify what you're talking about? There have always been shows that have drawn me in and those that haven't. Last year after being involved in the activity in one form or another for 25 or so years there were a number of shows that "did it for me". This is no different than it ever has been. I honestly think that people who are incapable of enjoying todays drum corps are simply incapable of enjoying something that doesn't fit their own very narrow definition and doesn't perpetuate an emotional nostalgic connection to what their drum corps experience was.

Oy. How on earth do you quantify what you're talking about? There have always been shows that have drawn me in and those that haven't. Last year after being involved in the activity in one form or another for 25 or so years there were a number of shows that "did it for me". This is no different than it ever has been. I honestly think that people who are incapable of enjoying todays drum corps are simply incapable of enjoying something that doesn't fit their own very narrow definition and doesn't perpetuate an emotional nostalgic connection to what their drum corps experience was.

Yep! :thumbup:

I appreciate the sentiment of the OP, welcome thoughts....but like you say, sometimes communication is a function of the receiver not the sender.