DCI arrangments you like better than the original

Lance

Sorry, but IMO Ralph Hardiman's Percussion parts in Festive Ovature was much better than the original written by Mr. Dmitri.

I'd agree. In fact, I was at a concert last night where Festive Overture was part of the program, and it made me think of this thread, in that SCV's 85 version of the piece IS an improvement over the original to my mind. More to the point, more variety in textures.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd agree. In fact, I was at a concert last night where Festive Overture was part of the program, and it made me think of this thread, in that SCV's 85 version of the piece IS an improvement over the original to my mind. More to the point, more variety in textures.

I would also apply this sense of improvement to Regiment's version of Fire of Eternal Glory; not as much in writing, but using words like increased Power and Volume.

Edited by Stu

I'll add Remembrance from Madison 90 and 98 to the list, though I do like the original quite a bit. Much of the jazzophonic stuff from the late 80s and early 90s sounds better with a drum corps treatment, methinks.

I'm 100% with you on this one! :lol:

Also like to add that Star 93's Medea does it for me, while the original doesn't... maybe it's the added percussion stuff that kicks it up a notch.

Phantom 2003 - Sanctus (no question)

Madison 2003 - the whole show, especially Reve Rouge

Crown 2008 - the beginning of 1812 and the Hallelujah Chorus

Blue Stars 2008 - La Vie en Rose

Vanguard 2009 - I'd put the whole show about equal with the original, but the Simple Gifts chorus at the end far exceeds the choral version.

The entire production of the 1987 Cadets arrangement of Appalachia Spring is a masterpiece, better than the original and has never been improved upon.

(my number one pick)

The 1988 Blue Devils version of "Happy Days are Here Again." What a chintzy song, and BD turned it into a classic for the ages. Barbara Streisand has a great version of it as well.

Walk him up the Stairs/Old Man River, 1978 Spirit of Atlanta is also better than the original, at least to me.

Cadets version of "Les Miz" 1989 is better than the original as well. I'd like someone to bring that one back to the field some day. "Bring him home" as a war song is current with today's military families as a call to action.

Edited by wvu80

Blue Stars 2008 -- "La Vie en Rose"
"Walk Him up the Stairs" / "Old Man River" (1978 Spirit of Atlanta) is also better than the original, at least to me.

Edith Piaf and Paul Robeson are rolling over in their graves.

Both of Cadets' Holsinger shows (92 and 93, Perilous Skies and Kings)

I almost want to say Phantom 89 New World, because the actual symphony is SO DANG LONG, especially the ballad section. Basically ditto to SCV 04 Scheherezade

Cavies 92 Peterloo

Maybe Cadets 96 Happy Ending