Carolina Crown 2011: Rach Star

fixed.

Nope. He was right on.

• Like 2

Mandatory DCP reports !! (or at least tweets)

yeah I'll tweet (@ohwiseone) as much as I can, If I can't make it to rehearsal I will tweet comments after the show.

I will get back to OKC late tomorrow night, and If i am still awake I'll be sure to do a write-up to the best of my ability.

Thank you!

FWIW, you can email Youtube and pretty easily get them to yank the video: that is well within your/Crown's rights. I'm sure you know that, and I can 100% understand your frustrations to not only have your show 'leak' before its debut, but also to hear the armchair quarterbacks/critics bi#$% about the show.

Good luck this season; while you will not be coming out to my neck of the woods this summer (Southern California), I will indeed be watching/enjoying your performances via Fan Network

Good luck this season; while you will not be coming out to my neck of the woods this summer (Southern California), I will indeed be watching/enjoying your performances via Fan Network

Thank you.

that's not the impression I get from the members I know... lol

Well from a former member, that was our philosophy.

Maybe things have changed since then...

Well from a former member, that was our philosophy.

Maybe things have changed since then...

No...they haven't. I think your characterization is still very accurate.

The way I've heard it described multiple times:

Strive to be the very best drum corps in existence (in every respect).

It's about entertaining audiences and pursuing excellence not chasing placements.

The comment above is IMO typical DCP nonsense. Everyone has friends in 'XXXX' corps who said 'YYYY'.

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 3

just adding to what I was saying earlier... (a video posted by the cadets)

audio/visual leaks and teasers get me hyped!

I was at the preview show at Gardner Webb the other night, and I'm going to be perfectly honest.

I don't know about this year, really. I'm not an anti-vocal guy, I don't cringe when I hear keyboards, and I'm all for a lot of the ideas Crown is playing with this year. But a lot of the show seems hastily put together. I'm sure a lot of the issues with design will be fixed as the summer goes on, but as someone who has seen Crown at spring training every year since 2005, I can truly say that they haven't had this much to fix in several years. The abrupt cuts to BoRap are what comes to mind immediately. I can't remember exactly how many times they do it during the show (twice at least), but it was a jolt both times, and not in a good way. The ballad really sloshed on, and really, really isn't there yet... I'm not sure that even when the performance level from the corps is higher that the ballad will EVER be a high point during the show. The list of what needs to be addressed is quite long, and I just don't know if Crown is going to be able to fix everything by the end of this season, because by the end it would basically have to be a brand new show. That isn't to say that I didn't like a lot of the ideas... I for one love the preshow... I think once they fine-tune it, it's going to be a pretty exciting way to open a show. There was a moment during the end of the show when the full brassline is running in a block and playing a pretty difficult passage that I think is really going to shine by finals. I love the arrangement of Symphonic Dances. But overall, design-wise, I was very disappointed. I hope that Crown proves me wrong and completely blows me away later on this season.

I think Crown may end up getting ~6th place at these first two shows... I'm not going to make a concrete prediction for the end of the season, because I know Crown (and every other corps) will change a lot by the end. I think they could finish as high as 3rd and as low as 8th.

• Like 2

If people have not figured out Crown's philosophy on programming and culture you probably will never get it. Even when I marched in the early 90's, it was about performing your best and having a great time, entertaining. (well, and early on for survival) The core values have not changed. They have just gotten stronger and better.

They will be in the mix in the end. They always are. The title is an awesome goal for any corps. However, I think some corps get lost in the fever of title chases and forget about what the activity is really about. Entertainment, especially in today's climate.

Crown is gonna "rock!" every stadium they are in this season, and I am looking forward to watching every other corps give it their all and let the best corps win.

• Like 1