Carolina Crown 2011: Rach Star

Are there going to be APD's from San Antonio? I couldn't afford FN this year, but I can definitely spring for a $3.99 download to hear the changes in the show since the early season recording.

Mike

http://dci.thefannetwork.org/schedule/

Barring some strange event like they had at Drums a couple weeks ago, there will be APD's from San Antonio this weekend for $2.99 each. At the link above, you can see the entire Fan Network schedule for all live Webcasts, VOD and APD content. :thumbup:

Edited by KakkoiiOtaku

looks like crown is on a downward spiral. Not sure where they'll end up.

Downward spiral? No. Recent history repeating itself? Seems that way. Crown does seem to show great early on, but plateau at some point the past couple of years.

Downward spiral? No. Recent history repeating itself? Seems that way. Crown does seem to show great early on, but plateau at some point the past couple of years.

i meant this season. place 1st at 1st show... now going in 4th place. not sure where it will go from here. Maybe TOC shows have lower placements than other shows since its different scoring model.... any who... still a fan no matter what!

• Like 1

i meant this season. place 1st at 1st show... now going in 4th place. not sure where it will go from here. Maybe TOC shows have lower placements than other shows since its different scoring model.... any who... still a fan no matter what!

I think the first place finish at show #1 was a total fluke. It does seem like Crown's guard isn't managing as good of scores as I think they should be. Not sure why. When I've seen the show, the guard hasn't jumped out at me like it has in the past. I assume maybe I'm never looking in the right place, but my (perhaps flawed) memory is that there are fewer rifle tosses and fewer field spreads with the guard doing big flag tosses like we saw the last couple of years and which really blew my mind (end of the ballad in 09 and 10). But the fact that I'm not looking in the right places maybe is part of the problem? They should be grabbing my attention for more than just falling off the equipment. :w00t:

So, I'm not sure if they just aren't doing all the fancy stuff they can do, or if they are executing poorly. But I think upping the guard score is the place where they could improve their score the most.

But speaking of scores, the brass is taking names lately. Hope they keep it up. When I saw them at Rockford they were IMO the best brass line by far. Flawless already, to my ears.

Edited by skywhopper

Saw the show for the first time last night and LOVED it!!! Now, it wasn't my favorite show (which goes to Phantom) but what a blast! I was smiling the whole time. Is it a "cheesy" show? Maybe. But all I can say to that it is, melt all of it you can and pour it all over me a la Cesario and keep it coming!!

Keep it up, guys!!

I think the first place finish at show #1 was a total fluke. It does seem like Crown's guard isn't managing as good of scores as I think they should be. Not sure why. When I've seen the show, the guard hasn't jumped out at me like it has in the past. I assume maybe I'm never looking in the right place, but my (perhaps flawed) memory is that there are fewer rifle tosses and fewer field spreads with the guard doing big flag tosses like we saw the last couple of years and which really blew my mind (end of the ballad in 09 and 10). But the fact that I'm not looking in the right places maybe is part of the problem? They should be grabbing my attention for more than just falling off the equipment. :w00t:

So, I'm not sure if they just aren't doing all the fancy stuff they can do, or if they are executing poorly. But I think upping the guard score is the place where they could improve their score the most.

But speaking of scores, the brass is taking names lately. Hope they keep it up. When I saw them at Rockford they were IMO the best brass line by far. Flawless already, to my ears.

This year's guard looks to be better than 09 (though I can't really tell on vid), but has stiffer competition. It'll always be hard to touch 07-08 in terms of character, execution, etc. Not sure if they need to focus on straight cleaning the opener portion or the exchange at the end of Paint it Black. I really liked the techs they had in those aforementioned years, so it'll be interesting to see how they evolve (even by finals this year).

I love Crowns guard. I dont think they are getting all the credit they deserve, yet. I can see parts that do need fine tuning and cleaning. But the scores I feel are not reflecting their excecution and performance level. With lower scores, you do have more room to grow and improve. And Crown is all about doing what they need to do to ensure they have the best production possible. :)

Edited by augustleo
  • Like 2

I saw their show in Denton. It was easily the most entertaining and exciting show of the whole night. However, it is still very, very dirty. It needs to be cleaned visually and musically. Visual Ensemble is particularly problematic.

If they don't do this, they will not come home with the 1st place trophy from Indianapolis, period. They will never be far enough ahead in brass and GE to reel in the Cavaliers. Both Cavies and BD have superior execution this year, especially in visual.

This is the exact same circumstances as in 2009, when they could have won their first trophy, if they had better visual execution. Apparently, their organization hasn't yet learned their lesson from 2009 - or if they did learn any lesson, they cannot change the situation, with their current staff and talent. It appears that Crown is going to choke away another shot at a championship - which is really sad.

We haven't had a new, 1st-time champion since Phantom's win in 1996. That's 15 years. That's a long, long time. However, if Crown does not clean this show, it will be 16 years, next year.

A lot of people in this activity are pulling for them - but it really looks like they are trying to gag away a chance at a title. What a waste.

I saw their show in Denton. It was easily the most entertaining and exciting show of the whole night. However, it is still very, very dirty. It needs to be cleaned visually and musically. Visual Ensemble is particularly problematic.

If they don't do this, they will not come home with the 1st place trophy from Indianapolis, period. They will never be far enough ahead in brass and GE to reel in the Cavaliers. Both Cavies and BD have superior execution this year, especially in visual.

This is the exact same circumstances as in 2009, when they could have won their first trophy, if they had better visual execution. Apparently, their organization hasn't yet learned their lesson from 2009 - or if they did learn any lesson, they cannot change the situation, with their current staff and talent. It appears that Crown is going to choke away another shot at a championship - which is really sad.

We haven't had a new, 1st-time champion since Phantom's win in 1996. That's 15 years. That's a long, long time. However, if Crown does not clean this show, it will be 16 years, next year.

A lot of people in this activity are pulling for them - but it really looks like they are trying to gag away a chance at a title. What a waste.

lookaround.gif

There's also corps with a trail of long-running consistency around them. Everything will be just fine. It doesn't really matter when and if the next new championship corps will come, it will happen. But there are more enjoyable things about going to shows and this will only lead to bitterness.

• Like 1