Carolina Crown 2011: Rach Star

Oh, no. Definitely not. :)

He hadn't heard the show since the Pre-season Recording. In fact, the major changes to the pre-show have been in place since sometime before the Muncie show (as you can hear the shortened pre-show on the Muncie APD) over a month ago. :)

Yeah that change went in immediately after the two TX shows at the start of the season.

Alas, it looks to me like Crown is settling into a solid fourth place, and I'm thinking Phantom may even find the momentum to overtake them. BD even won brass last night. :blink:

Any thoughts on what Crown can do at this point to amp up their game? I'm thinking if the Cadets are getting clean, which is what it sure seems like is happening, then there's not much hope for Crown to medal given the state of BD and Cavies.

Yes, I'm feeling depressed.

Edited by skywhopper

Don't be depressed - still a couple of weeks to go. Clean, clean, clean - I think the show is most likely in final form (unless they change the end slightly), now get the last third as clean as the first third.

And regardless of placement, this is my all-time favorite Crown show, so I'm going to listen the hell out of them no matter what place they receive. :thumbup:

Mike

Crown definitely has to be concerned. They are routinely getting beat by 1.5 points, give or take, by the top placing corps at the show the last couple times. They were just under a point behind Cavies a short while ago, but the gap has widened since then. Not a good sign.

Alas, it looks to me like Crown is settling into a solid fourth place, and I'm thinking Phantom may even find the momentum to overtake them. BD even won brass last night. :blink:

Any thoughts on what Crown can do at this point to amp up their game? I'm thinking if the Cadets are getting clean, which is what it sure seems like is happening, then there's not much hope for Crown to medal given the state of BD and Cavies.

Honestly, I'm hoping that last night was a rough performance. Most corps who have a show where they score 91.1 and have a full rehearsal day before their next competition usually jump about a point or a little more the next night. Also, the thought that BD beat Crown in Brass also makes me believe it was a bad night for Crown. I'm not saying that BD's brass are terrible ... they're not. I just don't think they are as amazing as Crown are.

This does happen. One recent example you can look at are the last three scores for Teal Sound:

7/22 - 74.45

7/23 - 70.65

Two rehearsal Days

7/26 - 74.35

They dropped almost four points just to jump back four more points the next show after two rehearsal days. Granted ... one of those was most likely a free day because it was the day after San Antonio. But this just illustrates that a corps can have a bad night ... either performance wise or judging wise.

Now ... Crown still pulled up a quarter of a point, but the point is that they should have scored higher after a full rehearsal day.

To quote Tim Allen in Galaxy Quest ...

demotivational-poster-38616.jpg

Don't count Crown out of this yet. They are still in it. Remember ... Phantom placed fourth at San Antonio in 2008 and were almost three points behind Blue Devils yet they pulled out a win. Crown is not that far behind Blue Devils.

It's not over yet! They still have a chance!

• Like 1

Comments like this demonstrate what I have been saying since 2009. Crown's visual and percussion writers and/or instructors need to be replaced. Crown getting beat in brass is not a huge issue, because the blue devils will always be top notch there. But, getting beat by almost 1 point in percussion is just riduculous. Some change needs to happen because the talent level at Crown is now good enough to win a title. For the majority, Crown does come up with good show concepts, although I wish they would try to do a non-theme show. But, design flaw is KILLING them, period. It is hard to clean, fixing what doesn't work to begin with. This show concept is a perfect show to win, so either you blame the talent of the members (i.e., they weren't good enough to pull it off), or you look at the staff and say, "your designs/arranging and/or teaching methods just aren't getting it done and you've had three seasons to prove the value of what you bring to the table every season. I prefer to place the responsibility on the staff rather than the members.