Macy's prarade

g0at

Cadets "and bugle corps" were in it back in 05-06

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3891274180783776102#

At least Katie K. got their name right at the end :-) I remember this and it has always stood head and shoulders above other bands in the parade. Why? Because they played really well and could perform. Stage presence comes across on the tube.

It was good TV and great exposure and I wish more corps could make it happen.

Sure would have loved to hear the Cadets play "Sing Sing Sing" this year. Oh well!

Sure would have loved to hear the Cadets play "Sing Sing Sing" this year. Oh well!

Macy's Parade:

At one time, in the dark and distant drum corps past, "Macy's Parade" WAS a "Drum Corps Parade". Hawthorne Caballeros and Muchachos were in the line of march as well as (From Boston MA) St Kevins Emerald Knights, the Racine WI Scouts, the NY Knickerbockers, Garfield Cadets and NY Skyliners, among others. :tongue:

Happy Thanksgiving

Elphaba

But your attitude is what makes me so upset. These "lame" band member worked hard to make it to NYC. Fundraising, practicing and doing what they had to do. To call them lame is outrageous. The snotty attitude of many people shows were this activity is headed.

He wasn't calling the band members lame, he was saying that audience members who generally think that marching band is lame aren't going to see a drum corps as a something different and exciting.

He wasn't calling the band members lame, he was saying that audience members who generally think that marching band is lame aren't going to see a drum corps as a something different and exciting.

It always kind of cracks me up when people get offended when the obvious truth is pointed out that we are all a bunch of band geeks. drum corps geek = band geek is proprtional to every other kind of geek out there. Own it. I promise you that it will belittle nothing that we all love about it to accept that basically noone cares. 30 seconds of air time on TV can't possibly be worth the $100,000 that some one has suggested. Otherwise, Bamalamitz High School band wouldn't have to sell me M&M's to get there.

I do remember seeing the Cadets on TV a few years ago in the parade and I was really proud to hear the announcer point out that "Wow! They were loud" or somesuch quote like that.

It felt like every cheeseball movie from my youth where the geek gets the girl at the end. Cadets were the geek that shows up at the high school reunion in a private jet.

Good. A corps spending tons of money to march in that parade is a horrible financial choice, especially considering the times. No one cares. No one thinks "oh this is different then 'lame' marching band? I wanna go see DCI now!"

Softly please. Bandos and DCI's just found each other after all these years now this?

Please be gentle with the new peace. Treat it like a beautifull budding flower. Feed it. Give it light. Allow it to Flourish. Bondos+DCI= :tongue:

Really people? Do we not know what quotation marks mean? I was saying that the average American Joe will always consider us band nerds. Marching band is lame. Or do you really think the average public opinion of marching band is the way we think of it.

I, of all people, respect band and marching band just as much as I respect drum corps.

Some of you wouldn't be near as upset if you would just learn to read.

Wow...really..REALLY. Is it because YOU don't care. And of course it always comes down to money. But think about how many kids are seeing these "lame" marching bands and thinking "wow thats great, I want to be on TV" and go join a lame band. How many people are saying "Hey were's the drum corps" maybe 1 out of 167.

And I was thinking this is how far drum corps has fallen. Right now corps are just starting camps. People are flying in to do camps. But back in the day corps could get the kids together and do a parade off season. Why, because they were local. Appearing on a nationally televised show is worth hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars in advertsing and marketing. Why do you think compnaies pay millions to sponsor a 30th place car.

But your attitude is what makes me so upset. These "lame" band member worked hard to make it to NYC. Fundraising, practicing and doing what they had to do. To call them lame is outrageous. The snotty attitude of many people shows were this activity is headed.

HAVE A NICE THANKSGIVING.

Welcome to 2010. Corps are good now. I'd rather have kids in camp all weekend preparing their high-energy, high-demand, amazing outdoor production than having a handful of them throw together a parade tune and a cadence and march in some parade in the freezing cold. Have a nice Thanksgiving. :tongue:

By the way, marching band IS lame. And to the public, drum corps IS marching band. That lameness is embraced. It's OK. Breath.

Edited by DrillmanSop06