Phantom Regiment 2011

Or get back to talking about PR

OK....I'll start. LOL.

Just watched the clip on the Site That Shall Not Be Named.

Very nice! Obviously still early in the process... but it's great to hear more of that trademark Phantom low-brass presence.

The new unis are sharp, too.

OK... back to Howdy. Or not. :tongue:

I must say I was very impressed with the performance.

1. That first big hit in East of Eden was great! I can't wait to see what they do with it visually.

2. Trumpet fanfare of the tuba mirium to the transition to the Dies Irae was great.

3. The Dies Irae was loud and brassy which I really liked. The recap to East of Eden reminded me a lot of Phantom 2003.

4. Lacrimosa sounds more like an 80s tune with the drums but I don't mind it.

5. A time for Us is a beautiful ballad and I also can't wait to see what Romeo and Juliet will be doing visually here. I predict it will be like Ave Maria from Faust.

6. The Prokofiev is prety epic and boy is the pit and battery jamming. I am really digging the pyramids in the hornline.

7 A time for us reprise to Elsa's' Procession to the Cathedral kind of doesn't make sence but I am sure it will once we see the drill.

Overall I am very excited for this show and think that it will be a mix of both Faust and Spartacus visually and musically. The brass is as amazing as always and the drums are doing a lot better than any of us could have hoped. I think that the design and the guard will also be pretty good.

Edited by lowbrass89
  • Like 2

I understand that the crest has nothing to do with Phantom Regiment, besides the theme of this years show. I still wonder how well the crest will translate on the field, still think it will look like a black ink splotch on a white uniform. With proper staging the corps could made to represent the Montague Family in the show and not need the crest on the uniform, I really hope this happens. Once again I like the black on white look, just not the crest.

In the end it doesn't matter what the uniform looks like to the fans, but what he members of the corps get out of wearing their uniform. I remember the feeling I got when I put on my uniform. Even though the uniform changes it is still the same organization, with the same history. This goes for all corps

There used to be many marching band uniforms with a crest or an emblem, letter, et cetera on the front. This uniform jacket is better than the one they had two years ago, imho.

Really, I'm enjoying the hornline too much to care. As bawker said, " as long as someone makes a recording"... of this in August I'll be happy.

• Like 1

I'm not a fan of the crest but I think it will help with definition from a GE point of view.

I said in a previous post that last years uniforms looked amazing on individuals/close ups but from up high a lot of transitions were blurred. Although not being a drill expert (I was in the pit, the furthest I marched was from the Vibe to the gong) it's very possible the drill itself didn't help.

The brass book sounds good to me. I don't agree that it's al ballads, some folks definition of a ballad clearly differs from mine. Not 100% sold on the final note of Elsa's but I expect that to differ on the field. I am also delighted that JD Shaw has stuck closely to Jim Wrens version of Elsa's because having played that version I feel very protective of it!

I thought the pit sounded very different from last year but still very good. This is the one area I do know a lot about and those kids were playing difficult parts well. The battery sounded like they were playing together but I'll reserve judgement until I see them on the field.

I have always been of the opinion that it's impossible to say how the brass & drums/pit will sound together until you see/hear them on the field. Staging plays a huge part in this and drum corps staging is non existent on a stage.

To sum up, the brass will be better than last year. The percussion will not be as good as last year but they'll do ok. Visual including the guard the will be better than last year.

Say what you will about Phantom's program and/or uniform. I have to say the video/audio quality in the HD version of the concert is amazing. Makes me want to get a ZOOM video recorder.

Well, I too listened to the clip on the site that shall not be named, and while I acknowledge it is very early, as an alum, I was very excited about the show however, I am less so now. I don't feel/hear the emotion that should accompany the show and the percussion parts in Elsas are way over done. If I hear another rimshot, I'm going to go postal. I wasn't too keen on last years show and it certainly turned out all right. Perhaps there was too much expectation going in to this seasons show.

Well, I too listened to the clip on the site that shall not be named, and while I acknowledge it is very early, as an alum, I was very excited about the show however, I am less so now. I don't feel/hear the emotion that should accompany the show and the percussion parts in Elsas are way over done. If I hear another rimshot, I'm going to go postal. I wasn't too keen on last years show and it certainly turned out all right. Perhaps there was too much expectation going in to this seasons show.

After a fall and winter of "Oh My God - Paul Rennick isn't with Phantom anymore! The sky is falling! The sky is falling!" I think Phantom has exceeded a few expectations.

• Like 4

After a fall and winter of "Oh My God - Paul Rennick isn't with Phantom anymore! The sky is falling! The sky is falling!" I think Phantom has exceeded a few expectations.

What expectations?

Seeing as Rennick has saved them on numerous occasions, there is much room to be concerned for the organization.

What expectations?

The expectation that they would not be any good?

This question may seem naive, but it is coming from a person with very little in-depth knowledge in percussion arranging:

Why is Rennick seem like such a legend? What made his PR percussion parts so revered?

Edited by Measton