Phantom Regiment 2011

I went to the dress rehearsal last night.

This may be a strange year for the corps... being that it may be the year that the visual is stronger than the music.

the biggest applaud point was a guard moment! The guard had all show flags except the closer flag. All of the guard work is dance, saber or flag. They do not touch a rifle, which I don't mind. It's still weird to me seeing rifles on the field in shows where a rifle is out of place historically or conceptually.... I think the cadets were on the right track in 2001 with their coma things...

couldn't see drill from my vantage point but there looked to be some good stuff going on... I mean... it's jamey thompson. The guard staging was terrific.

Hornline is going to have to step it up to their 04-08 game if they want to be top 5. lacking in volume and many intonation problems (mellos and euphs). Wish they had stronger leadership, not sure Shaw is there often enough to keep them strong. The Low brass does have more power than last year though.

will reserve judgement for percussion, I wasn't really paying attention to them, but battery sounded good warming up.

all in all, this may be their strongest program since 08 if music steps it up.

I'm quite excited about this program.

Edited by general_tsos_chicken2
  • Like 1

Hornline is going to have to step it up to their 04-08 game if they want to be top 5. lacking in volume and many intonation problems (mellos and euphs). Wish they had stronger leadership, not sure Shaw is there often enough to keep them strong. The Low brass does have more power than last year though.

Any idea what the veteran count is for the hornline?

And don't they have a caption head separate from Shaw this year? Isn't that probably a good thing?

Any idea what the veteran count is for the hornline?

And don't they have a caption head separate from Shaw this year? Isn't that probably a good thing?

I have no idea what the vet count is, probably their usual???

you are correct, the caption head is ryan bybee?? a video said he was brougth as a first year staff member last year and the caption head had to leave so he had to take the reigns. I have never seen him teach or heard anything about his teaching, all i know is that the hornline didn't sound great to me last year like they have previously, and not so great IMO this year. I'm not playing the blame game, it can be those jupiter horns that that switched to in 09, who knows....maybe it was just my seating... or maybe they will just clean up and sound awesome later in the season. We shall see, but I would love if they had another powerhouse instructor to lead the program when JD is not around.

I still think this will be my favorite show at the end of the season.

Edited by general_tsos_chicken2
  • Like 1

I have no idea what the vet count is, probably their usual???

you are correct, the caption head is ryan bybee?? a video said he was brougth as a first year staff member last year and the caption head had to leave so he had to take the reigns. I have never seen him teach or heard anything about his teaching, all i know is that the hornline didn't sound great to me last year like they have previously, and not so great IMO this year. I'm not playing the blame game, it can be those jupiter horns that that switched to in 09, who knows....maybe it was just my seating... or maybe they will just clean up and sound awesome later in the season. We shall see, but I would love if they had another powerhouse instructor to lead the program when JD is not around.

There are A LOT of first year PR corps members this year. Of course ALL the drums and, I think, ALL the pit. Otherwise it is probably the usual number of newbies - probably 20% or a bit more. I was trying to remember how many members were named at the age-out ceremony last year. We have a lot of winter guard people, so they do have some experience. This is really showing in this years guard quality!

Not sure where you were sitting, but I was 3 rows up and just to the right of the conductor. There is one place in the program (happened at the Concert in the Park and twice last night) where the middle brass just seems to get lost, or the notes they have been given to play don't seem to fit the song. I don't think it was from being out of breath.....it just sounded like odd notes, 3 times. I'm not a music major so it is hard for me to describe what they are playing, but its in the middle of the selection that is played before the Time for Us/Elsa's ending. Its like one horn section is playing off tempo. But it is consistant for all 3 run throughs I have attended.

Did anyone notice that the smaller the horn, the smaller the corps member?

When the 16 conta base tubas move across the field just behind the pit, the rest of the horns are almost invisible.......like a curtain? Hummmmmmmm

The horns seemed winded at the end of the show, but not for the instant encore. It has to be the marching and playing for the new corps members. The last 2 week's temperatures of 40's 3 days, 95+ 3 days and then back to 50's and 60's has got to be hard on them! Not to mention the tornado(es), hail, high winds and lots of rain we've had lately.

Won't be going to Texas this weekend, but hope to see a nice arial view of the marching of the horns/drums and see how the guard looks from up high - at the movie theater. I think the visual will be stunning. And yes, the visual just might beat the horns this year......

all i know is that the hornline didn't sound great to me last year like they have previously, and not so great IMO this year...

The other GeneralTsoChicken official endorses this message! Hitting the nail on the head, my friend.

This year's member journal is online now. It's called "Juliet's Journal" this year. So yes, they were able to keep the alliteration going despite the journaling member's name being Stephanie. :tongue:

You can find it here.

Oh, but it could have been 'Stephanie's Saga'.......but I like Juliet's Journal

LOTS of photos posted last night by Phantom Regiment, on their Facebook page.

The ones I like best are the flags the guard was using....in the 3rd set of pictures.

This was for dress rehersal!

....after reading about all the corps' dress rehersals, its going to be a great competition this year!!!

253521_10150210690398668_26900688667_7329568_1003003_n.jpg

This is my favorite photo that they posted from the dress rehearsal on Sunday night.

• Like 1