Glassmen 2011 show theme announcement thingy . . .

...find me a more boring corps year after year after year, and I'll be glad to comment on that.

I marched Glassmen in 1998 (which you loved) and some after that as well. 1998 was my first year. Played Lead Sop. People loved us that year. It was my favorite year also of the years I marched.

In 2000, people started applying the 'boring' moniker. Interestingly enough, when we were on west coast tour that summer, the crowd was going bananas for us, and we beat SCV a few times out there. When we came across the country for DCM Finals, the show effectively got 'neutered' along the way. The staff tried to reassure us that "this is what DCM judges want to hear." We knew it was BS, but we went with it. The show was never the same.

However, the 'boring' thing did and always will bug me with the Glassmen. My contention always has been that the Glassmen and SCV have a similar 'style' when it comes to choice of composers and obscurity. Some corps, though, can get away with the obscurity no problem, but it seems that people don't want to let the Glassmen get away with it.

But... BORING? Give me a break. Ever since that first magical year in 1998 when Drum Corps World called our hornline the loudest in DCI that summer, the Glassmen have consistently had one of the most powerful brasslines in DCI. Nothing boring there.

• Like 2

I marched Glassmen in 1998 (which you loved) and some after that as well. 1998 was my first year. Played Lead Sop. People loved us that year. It was my favorite year also of the years I marched.

In 2000, people started applying the 'boring' moniker. Interestingly enough, when we were on west coast tour that summer, the crowd was going bananas for us, and we beat SCV a few times out there. When we came across the country for DCM Finals, the show effectively got 'neutered' along the way. The staff tried to reassure us that "this is what DCM judges want to hear." We knew it was BS, but we went with it. The show was never the same.

However, the 'boring' thing did and always will bug me with the Glassmen. My contention always has been that the Glassmen and SCV have a similar 'style' when it comes to choice of composers and obscurity. Some corps, though, can get away with the obscurity no problem, but it seems that people don't want to let the Glassmen get away with it.

But... BORING? Give me a break. Ever since that first magical year in 1998 when Drum Corps World called our hornline the loudest in DCI that summer, the Glassmen have consistently had one of the most powerful brasslines in DCI. Nothing boring there.

If your show in 2011 is anything like 2010, you all are in good hands. Loved it!

I

1998 was 13 years ago.

Glassmen + powerful brass lines = does not compute.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back from their move ins. People are going to hate, just because it's what they do. But, for anyone that actually comes into a show to see what a corps brings to the table, you will not recognize this edition of the Glassmen. Not mine to talk about, but I can say that I was very surprised (in a great way) by the corps work so far this year. They will surprise people, and I don't mean that in the competitive aspect. I mean, everyone that has them associated with boring and pigeon holed into something. Well, this show is NOT.

Just got back from their move ins. People are going to hate, just because it's what they do. But, for anyone that actually comes into a show to see what a corps brings to the table, you will not recognize this edition of the Glassmen. Not mine to talk about, but I can say that I was very surprised (in a great way) by the corps work so far this year. They will surprise people, and I don't mean that in the competitive aspect. I mean, everyone that has them associated with boring and pigeon holed into something. Well, this show is NOT.

Oh great, people are going to hate, huh? That's not a good sign. Thanks for the warning.

I

ll check them out as I always do and then go from there as I always do. Most of the time lately, I haven't cared for the product, but I DID have hope until your post. tongue.gif

I'm not a "hater" either.... We shall see my DCP friend...

I didn't mean it as "People will hate cause it's questionable" or anything like that. I meant it as "people will hate because it's what they do". :tongue:

But I have faith that even haters will go, "Who is this? What'd they do with the "boring" Glassmen?"

I didn't mean it as "People will hate cause it's questionable" or anything like that. I meant it as "people will hate because it's what they do". :tongue:

But I have faith that even haters will go, "Who is this? What'd they do with the "boring" Glassmen?"

For me the "boring years" of 10 years ago were some great Glassmen shows.

So, I'm gonna love this show! thumbup.gif