One Band, One Sound

I agree 100% with making music more of a priority....but I don't think that will necessarily bring in a more diverse crowd.

When shows were more local...and tied to a community event, like a Fireman's parade, July 4th, some sort of local celebration like a county fair, etc...you'd get some locals who wandered in because the drum corps show was part of the overall event. Plus there were the kids from other corps and the drum corps alums who filled out the crowd. Today it seems that most shows are stand-alone events, so those locals who were not really corps fans are no longer a major part of the mix. Now at shows I see primarily corps alums/fans and lots of band members...by the busload. Is it better? Worse? Or just different? Depends on your own POV. As for DCA, I have attended the Grand Prix a bunch of times, and IMO the audience at that particular show is less diverse than the DCI shows, as you see relatively few band kids...it's mostly corps alums and old-time fans, at least from what I have seen at that one show. Jeff is right about the Barnum...I judged GE Percussion at that show 20 years ago, and it was more like the old days than other shows. I guess the question is whether or not there are enough of those type of events these days...that would like to support a corps show...and who have the $$$ to do so.

When shows were more local...and tied to a community event, like a Fireman's parade, July 4th, some sort of local celebration like a county fair, etc...you'd get some locals who wandered in because the drum corps show was part of the overall event. Plus there were the kids from other corps and the drum corps alums who filled out the crowd. Today it seems that most shows are stand-alone events, so those locals who were not really corps fans are no longer a major part of the mix. Now at shows I see primarily corps alums/fans and lots of band members...by the busload. Is it better? Worse? Or just different? Depends on your own POV. As for DCA, I have attended the Grand Prix a bunch of times, and IMO the audience at that particular show is less diverse than the DCI shows, as you see relatively few band kids...it's mostly corps alums and old-time fans, at least from what I have seen at that one show. Jeff is right about the Barnum...I judged GE Percussion at that show 20 years ago, and it was more like the old days than other shows. I guess the question is whether or not there are enough of those type of events these days...that would like to support a corps show...and who have the $$ to do so.

I think you hit the nail on the head, Mike. In fact, our show committee this year is making a concerted effort to make our show -on July 5th- a distinct part of the community by including as many of our show participants into the biggest July 4th parade in the area. The show, being sponsored by the school, is becoming well-ingrained in the community and we're hoping that this year's parade cements the show even more into the local, community event.

It's hard to get a clear view of how many "locals" are in the stands each year because fans are terrible about filling out the questionnaires we pass out. But we do notice more and more BITS at the practices at the various schools where corps are housed. Maybe those are actually neighbors who live right next door to the schools, and maybe they don't end up going to the actual show. But it appears there's a level of acceptance that we're trying to grow each year.

I agree 100% with making music more of a priority....but I don't think that will necessarily bring in a more diverse crowd.

well, let me ask you this.

as a non fan, would you be more likely to remember music that caught your ear and made you tap your toes or would you remember more the 8 that rifle tossed or that kaleidoscopic whiplash effect ( $1 to Cesario) drill move team so and so did?

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I really hate how people who align themselves with DCI see themselves as a bunch of "know it all elitists." Fact: DCI and Drumline quality bands are two different forms of entertainment that exist under the same artistic umbrella. Why would anyone want to actively put down a facet of the same activity they participate in? Drum corps and HBCU bands all expect to perform up to their personal expectations and use different methods from one another to achieve them, but that doesn't necessarily negate the others. For those of us who choose to participate in a drum corps and gain that experience, there are multitudes of students who choose to participate in HBCU ensembles and gain that experience. It's silly that we automatically assume that drum corps have perfected a "right" way of teaching, when in reality, both divisions of marching ensembles have perfected their own respective way of achieving their goals. Lastly, how do we know that HBCU kids are blogging about how ridiculous they think DCI is, cause that very well be the case.

I think you hit the nail on the head, Mike. In fact, our show committee this year is making a concerted effort to make our show -on July 5th- a distinct part of the community by including as many of our show participants into the biggest July 4th parade in the area. The show, being sponsored by the school, is becoming well-ingrained in the community and we're hoping that this year's parade cements the show even more into the local, community event.

That is GREAT for you folks. Good luck!

When shows were more local...and tied to a community event, like a Fireman's parade, July 4th, some sort of local celebration like a county fair, etc...you'd get some locals who wandered in because the drum corps show was part of the overall event. Plus there were the kids from other corps and the drum corps alums who filled out the crowd. Today it seems that most shows are stand-alone events, so those locals who were not really corps fans are no longer a major part of the mix. Now at shows I see primarily corps alums/fans and lots of band members...by the busload. Is it better? Worse? Or just different? Depends on your own POV. As for DCA, I have attended the Grand Prix a bunch of times, and IMO the audience at that particular show is less diverse than the DCI shows, as you see relatively few band kids...it's mostly corps alums and old-time fans, at least from what I have seen at that one show. Jeff is right about the Barnum...I judged GE Percussion at that show 20 years ago, and it was more like the old days than other shows. I guess the question is whether or not there are enough of those type of events these days...that would like to support a corps show...and who have the $$ to do so.

Why not combine the old and the new? tie it into the community...get the die hards and the busloads of kids...and the locals?

that's a win win. But, I think the cost of going to a show today may push people away.

As I said before, down with the NC DCA show in 05, charging $40 is not going to inspire people who have no clue about drum corps to attend.

I cannot believe Drumline spawned this much discussion.

You just like to hate on anything I post/ fail to realize that there is actual value. The point is not the movie drumline overall, but parts that somehow relate to the drum corps activity as a whole.

Anyways - I specifically remember reading that there was a competition around the fourth of July this past summer that involved a parade and a competition on the same day, just like we used to kick it in the old days. Does anybody know what the attendance was and what show this was? If my memory serves me correctly, it was a big success.

• Like 1

You just like to hate on anything I post/ fail to realize that there is actual value. The point is not the movie drumline overall, but parts that somehow relate to the drum corps activity as a whole.

Anyways - I specifically remember reading that there was a competition around the fourth of July this past summer that involved a parade and a competition on the same day, just like we used to kick it in the old days. Does anybody know what the attendance was and what show this was? If my memory serves me correctly, it was a big success.

no idea, but I would imagine there would be bleedover

I really hate how people who align themselves with DCI see themselves as a bunch of "know it all elitists." Fact: DCI and Drumline quality bands are two different forms of entertainment that exist under the same artistic umbrella. Why would anyone want to actively put down a facet of the same activity they participate in? Drum corps and HBCU bands all expect to perform up to their personal expectations and use different methods from one another to achieve them, but that doesn't necessarily negate the others. For those of us who choose to participate in a drum corps and gain that experience, there are multitudes of students who choose to participate in HBCU ensembles and gain that experience. It's silly that we automatically assume that drum corps have perfected a "right" way of teaching, when in reality, both divisions of marching ensembles have perfected their own respective way of achieving their goals. Lastly, how do we know that HBCU kids are blogging about how ridiculous they think DCI is, cause that very well be the case.

Win +1