SCV 2011

You don't have to be a music major to learn. I'm a music major, but I didn't even know who Ligeti was until a friend dragged me to an Atlanta Symphony Orchestra concert where they played one of his pieces, "Lontano." Like every single other composer or musician I've ever liked in the history of things, I looked him up when I got home because I liked how that piece of music sounded, and how it made me feel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gy%C3%B6rgy_Ligeti

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89tudes_(Ligeti)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmosph%C3%A8res

My Christmas gift to you. Go learn. God forbid you know a little more about something.

apparently no one understands anything anyone types out anymore in here...they see one phrase, and they mindlock onto it, ignoring everything else in the same posting.

I listened to the linked piece...I commented that I didn't like it. I was called Kenny G. for not liking it. I retorted...that's it.

as far as the ligeti piece I listened to...no, i'm not a music major, but isn't that just a bunch of chromatic scales all shoved together basically? in minor?

Once upon a time, SCV used to entertain me with their music. Not so much lately...maybe it's a west coast thing...

• Like 1

<Once upon a time, SCV used to entertain me with their music. Not so much lately...maybe it's a west coast thing... >

I have no doubt that this is true for you re recent years. You need only say it's true...and it is. But you've yet to experience how they'll work the Ligeti into their show. I know I (and perhaps others) am reacting to your 'guilty until proven innocent' approach -

You would think that after last year, corps would listen. Another line of music set for band geeks only. Nothing familiar for the fan base to get excited for. Blah,blah blah

Yeah, the "blah blah blah" is how I interpreted most of your post. If they're able to take this music and make it into something exciting, who gives a #### where it comes from? And even so, like I said in an earlier post, God forbid you actually discover something new! Since when has attaining knowledge of something new been a bad thing?

• Like 2

<Once upon a time, SCV used to entertain me with their music. Not so much lately...maybe it's a west coast thing... >

I have no doubt that this is true for you re recent years. You need only say it's true...and it is. But you've yet to experience how they'll work the Ligeti into their show. I know I (and perhaps others) am reacting to your 'guilty until proven innocent' approach -

No, I've not experienced SCV's interpretation of this Ligeti tune, but if they rewrite it enough to where I'd even remotely enjoy it, it will have no resemblance whatsoever to the original, and would have nothing to do with this conversation whatsoever. It's not about condemning before hearing...it's about knowing what you do and do not like...I flat out don't like the piece. I wish I did like it. Then people would quit busting my a&& telling me I should like this and that, and quit judging before actually hearing, etc. SCV could march a visual masterpiece with this song, and I could care less. I don't go to drum corps shows to see great marching. I go to drum corps shows to hear great music.

• Like 1

No, I've not experienced SCV's interpretation of this Ligeti tune, but if they rewrite it enough to where I'd even remotely enjoy it, it will have no resemblance whatsoever to the original, and would have nothing to do with this conversation whatsoever. It's not about condemning before hearing...it's about knowing what you do and do not like...I flat out don't like the piece. I wish I did like it. Then people would quit busting my a&& telling me I should like this and that, and quit judging before actually hearing, etc. SCV could march a visual masterpiece with this song, and I could care less. I don't go to drum corps shows to see great marching. I go to drum corps shows to hear great music.

Please continue...

• Like 1