SCV 2011

The show will also include work by Samuel Barber which is much easier on the ear.

Took me forever to get SCV 2010 but once I did I loved it. sounds like 2011 SCV will be along the same lines.

Edited by 3rd Glasgow BB

Having listened to the Ligeti, I think it is one of those works that while not necessarily singable, will lend itself to some very driven visuals.

Whoa - Ligeti! What a great piece! People should remember that it is a tone poem...a sound picture. All the rising stuff...that's (duh...) the staircase. When it gets slower, that's the 'victim', perhaps at what seems to be the top of the stairs...but, wait - NO! - there's more...and it never ends...until it does, of course (with our hero falling right back into the pit?)

The work is tonal...though not necessarily functional. In that sense, it is akin to last season's Bartok. Dissonance serves the purpose of creating tension...which is usually the role it plays in music. Look for SCV to release that tension...in the end.

In THAT sense, it's much like Star 93...which as we all know had one release point...the final final.

FYE (for your enjoyment...or, 'education', if you're unable to enjoy...) - another Ligeti works...to broaden your palate. Note the tonal tension-release at the end of #5 (the first of the two movts. included...) at the 2:15 mark. At 2:20 - begins the smoking hot finale...and once again, a tension released functionally tonal ending -

"Inspired by . . ."

Less of that, and more the actual pieces, please. I don't really want to hear Poulan attempt to approximate Bartok, Ligeti and others with original stuff.

Has potential to be engaging. :smile:

Actually, I've got to say Key's been pretty dead on with his arrangements the last few years. Nailed Copland to a "T" and then hit Bartok pretty darn close to the original, just re-arranged for brass and percussion.

• Like 1

Actually, I've got to say Key's been pretty dead on with his arrangements the last few years. Nailed Copland to a "T" and then hit Bartok pretty darn close to the original, just re-arranged for brass and percussion.

Right. I agree that he does an excellent job there . . .however, his original stuff (2006 comes to mind) leaves me flat. Seeing the "inspired by" tag in the description always makes me think that someone is going to try to approximate a composer or a mood, and it underwhelms me. Of course, your mileage may vary. :smile:

Right. I agree that he does an excellent job there . . .however, his original stuff (2006 comes to mind) leaves me flat. Seeing the "inspired by" tag in the description always makes me think that someone is going to try to approximate a composer or a mood, and it underwhelms me. Of course, your mileage may vary. :smile:

Oh, true. Like all of those movies that say, "Inspired by a true story", doesn't always mean it will be, but SCV seems to be pretty good about these things lately. I'm think we'll see a pretty close to original show here from Santa Clara.