SCV 2011

You are a dipstick! Myron is one of the most talented people to ever grace the activity with his presence. He is Santa Clara!

Gail Royer " is Santa Clara ". Nobody else.

Always was... always will be.

• Like 1

Posted from their 2010/12/23 news update at http://www.scvanguard.org/about/news/news.cfm?news_id=ff0a1854-4cf2-411d-92be-77ae1448ebb7

The Santa Clara Vanguard is proud to present their 2011 program The Devil's Staircase.

Inspired by Gyorgy Ligeti's Etude #13 and an electrifying performance by pianist Greg Anderson, the musical selections will include works by Samuel Barber, Avner Dorman, Gyorgy Ligeti and other composers announced at a later date.

The music will be arranged by Key Poulan and Paul Rennick, with drill and staging designed by Peter Weber and color guard designs led by Greg Lagola. As the program develops, specific musical selections will be announced once the necessary licensing has been secured and the selections are finalized.

The program and the prospective musical selections, as well as a draft of the first two pieces, were presented to prospective members at the corps' Clinic & Audition weekend, December 17-19 at Independence High School in San Jose, CA.

Ligeti is one of my favorite modern composers. Really excited to see that a corps is finally taking a stab at his music. Warning, though - if you thought that Bartok's music was "out there," Ligeti's music finds that line and rockets WAY past it.

YES!!! Love it SCV.

Posted from their 2010/12/23 news update at http://www.scvanguard.org/about/news/news.cfm?news_id=ff0a1854-4cf2-411d-92be-77ae1448ebb7

The Santa Clara Vanguard is proud to present their 2011 program The Devil's Staircase.

Inspired by Gyorgy Ligeti's Etude #13 and an electrifying performance by pianist Greg Anderson, the musical selections will include works by Samuel Barber, Avner Dorman, Gyorgy Ligeti and other composers announced at a later date.

Here's the Greg Anderson performance of "The Devil's Staircase" if anyone is wondering. Very Cool.

I wonder if they'll use Ligeti's "Vertige" too...? (Etude #9)

It goes the opposite way though lol.

(on Piano-Roll because it's near-impossible to play for humans)

Edited by NR_Ohiobando

Ligeti is one of my favorite modern composers. Really excited to see that a corps is finally taking a stab at his music. Warning, though - if you thought that Bartok's music was "out there," Ligeti's music finds that line and rockets WAY past it.

It's all in the presentation. If it grabs the audience emotionally or intellectually, it'll be like a fine gourmet meal, prepared well. Otherwise, we'll be stuck with Legeti spaghetti.

Edited by BRASSO

Oh and I used dipstick because if I called him what I really thought, I'd get banned from this forum!

Ahh-Choo... gettin chili

Lets run around as fast as we can, making crazy direction changes which mean we don't quite make our spots... just until we warm up a bit. :ph34r:

bahdumteesh!

Sorry for biting but it is xmas.

Edited by 3rd Glasgow BB

Gail is SCV's father and is no longer with us. Myron is the current Mr. Santa Clara!

Oh and I used dipstick because if I called him what I really thought, I'd get banned from this forum!

I agree totally. Gail Royer is generally regarded as the patriarch of SCV. No doubt about it.

Glad to hear Pete Weber is still doing the visual design. I found his tantric approach to design refreshing (those loooong develpment times). Growing tired of patterns that constantly change every 8 or 16 counts.

Anyway, it is good Myron is back at SCV where he belongs...should do them well.

Went and listened to the Ligeti piece on YouTube - there is a video of Greg Anderson playing it. While I can say you can hear pretty clearly where they're going to go with it, it's also going to be part of a show that is going to leave a lot of folks scratching their heads.

Mike