Amplification/Electronics: 2011 Season

I'm just curious as to what the big deal in using a vocalist in productions is? I thought the singing done in Cadets 2006 was quite tasteful and at moments even hair raising. I mean, sure, it is a new element that many of us older fans aren't accustomed to but it opens up an entirely different element to the activity. Drum corps is primarily focused on entertaining the audiences, and I can't think of anything more exciting than seeing something brand new on the field done in a manner that would enhance a show, something I feel very confident the Cadets will be able to accomplish.

I'm very excited to see what the Cadets are going to do with this show and how they will incorporate the vocalist into it. All I ask is for you all is to give it a chance before you knock it.

Imagine this:

"Major League Baseball has passed a rule that allows the pitcher to choose whether to throw a baseball or a tennis ball on each pitch. The excitement of the unknown is expected to add a whole new level of entertainment and challenge to America's oldest sport."

Tasteful, hair-raising pitches that older fans aren't accustomed to but opens up an entirely different element to the activity. It' just a different ball!

Baseball is primarily focused on entertaining the audiences, and I can't think of anything more exciting than seeing something brand new on the field done in a manner that would enhance a game, something I feel very confident the Yankees will be able to accomplish.

Given enough time all the old fans will die off and everyone then will be used to base/tennisball.

Get the point?

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1

Imagine this:

"Major League Baseball has passed a rule that allows the pitcher to choose whether to throw a baseball or a tennis ball on each pitch. The excitement of the unknown is expected to add a whole new level of entertainment and challenge to America's oldest sport."

Tasteful, hair-raising pitches that older fans aren't accustomed to but opens up an entirely different element to the activity. It' just a different ball!

Baseball is primarily focused on entertaining the audiences, and I can't think of anything more exciting than seeing something brand new on the field done in a manner that would enhance a game, something I feel very confident the Yankees will be able to accomplish.

Given enough time all the old fans will die off and everyone then will be used to base/tennisball.

Get the point?

You make e a good good point... that is unless you think "not singing in drum corps" is as much a tradition as playing with a baseball in Baseball. I think you're really pushing it...

The musical realm has less defined boundaries of what is acceptable and what isn't. Unlike sports the rules are pretty much set in place and they don't "really" change. Sports are much less about creativity than drum corps and drum corps thrives off of it. Baseball, Football, basketball initially were created under "creative" thought processes but it doesn't need that to survive. Sports are more about stamina, strength, physical prowess, and expanding on those terms not how "creatively" you can dribble a ball or score a touch down (maybe more like how efficiently/ cleverly you can do those things)

A better example would be the use of those new high tech swim suits that all those Olympic swimmers wear. Those suits actually make the swimmer go faster and I remember there was some controversy surrounding them because it wasn't traditional, it created "fake" record runs because it more about the suit doing the work not the actual swimmer. I guess that's sorta like electronics/ singing in drum corps.

• Like 1

Imagine this:

Get the point?

Here's how I see it, and please feel free to disagree with me.

You don't change the way you play baseball from season to season, but in a way, drum corps change their product every year. Baseball has established itself as an American institution and the rules and regulations and understanding of the game has been solidified for years whereas drum corps is in a constant state of evolution for fans come to expect new ideas and show concepts every year. Baseball is exciting because of what individual athletes on the field are capable of, while drum corps generates its thrill from ever mutating ideas and show concepts revolving around primarily music, marching, percussion, and guard.

I know I seem like I'm a feel good, anything goes type fan, but I truly believe the exciting shows all have things that were never once thought of in the activity, whether it be ridiculous music, drill, props, synth(yeah I went there) and have come to enjoy the activity it is today. Having said that, I am vehemently against woodwinds cause they are lame and no one please misconstrue my argument as a plea for their inclusion of the activity. There is no room for them.

• Like 3

I guess since the singing debate is getting underway....

Is it better to have an actual person in the corps do the singing or sample bits of other artists singing (a la Cavies and Bluecoats last year?)

• Like 1

I'm just curious as to what the big deal in using a vocalist in productions is? I thought the singing done in Cadets 2006 was quite tasteful and at moments even hair raising. I mean, sure, it is a new element that many of us older fans aren't accustomed to but it opens up an entirely different element to the activity. Drum corps is primarily focused on entertaining the audiences, and I can't think of anything more exciting than seeing something brand new on the field done in a manner that would enhance a show, something I feel very confident the Cadets will be able to accomplish.

I'm very excited to see what the Cadets are going to do with this show and how they will incorporate the vocalist into it. All I ask is for you all is to give it a chance before you knock it.

It goes like this. The vast majority of drum corps fans love the sound of brass and drums together, and the unique music that is created by drum corps. Vocals of any kind simply cover up what we want to hear. It's like the annoying kid who wont shut up behind you at the movie theater. Same applies to why most were opposed to electronics, and why we don't want woodwinds ##cking up the unique sound we love and want to hear.

Sure, why not add woodwinds. I mean many of us older fans aren't accustomed to in a drum corps show but it opens up an entirely different element to the activity.

Yea, that slippery slope doesn't seem so great.

Well, I think corps should do whatever they want. I confident that if woodwinds and singing was a bad a idea that not every corps would use them. Every corps is using electronics because electronics are amazing and add so many different colors and breadth of sound that was just not possible before. People against electronics are traditionalist and fail to see the actual advantages of having technology around.

Why can't we just accept that one corps will always be pushing the boundaries and poking people's buttons. Just say, "Oh the Cadets decide to add a string quartet this year? Okay whatever..." Because you know, we know, that no other corps has the guts to try something as suicidal as that. So, give the cadets the ability to test the waters with there unique ideas. Just accept it and watch another corps that isn't doing it, but no one needs to hate on them right?

The cadets will suffer their own consequences if their ideas are a success or not ON THE FIELD. But give it up to the cadets to risk everything to find "something" new to like/ enjoy in drum corps.

It goes like this. The vast majority of drum corps fans love the sound of brass and drums together, and the unique music that is created by drum corps. Vocals of any kind simply cover up what we want to hear. It's like the annoying kid who wont shut up behind you at the movie theater. Same applies to why most were opposed to electronics, and why we don't want woodwinds ##cking up the unique sound we love and want to hear.

So, there are 22 other corps not doing vocals this year (most likely but really idk). Why not just accept what the cadets are doing as innovative and different and then decide whether or not its for you?

So, there are 22 other corps not doing vocals this year (most likely but really idk). Why not just accept what the cadets are doing as innovative and different and then decide whether or not its for you?

Well therein lies the problem. What you see as innovative and different, I see as offensive and obnoxious. So I'll do what I've done for years now, watch the cadets and cringe at the parts I hate, and be blown away by the amazing things they do in between. It's a real love hate relationship.

Here's how I see it, and please feel free to disagree with me.

You don't change the way you play baseball from season to season, but in a way, drum corps change their product every year. Baseball has established itself as an American institution and the rules and regulations and understanding of the game has been solidified for years whereas drum corps is in a constant state of evolution for fans come to expect new ideas and show concepts every year. Baseball is exciting because of what individual athletes on the field are capable of, while drum corps generates its thrill from ever mutating ideas and show concepts revolving around primarily music, marching, percussion, and guard.

I know I seem like I'm a feel good, anything goes type fan, but I truly believe the exciting shows all have things that were never once thought of in the activity, whether it be ridiculous music, drill, props, synth(yeah I went there) and have come to enjoy the activity it is today. Having said that, I am vehemently against woodwinds cause they are lame and no one please misconstrue my argument as a plea for their inclusion of the activity. There is no room for them.

So there was little appreciation for each new pitching record? Batting record? Home run record? Each individual accomplishment made within the confines of the rules established for the game.

I contend that the appreciation of each new milestone was greater because they were accomplished within the confines of the rules of the game. If there aren't rules, limitations, and expectations then how does one appreciate the milestones?

Allowing a pitcher to throw a Superball (remember those super bouncy things?) may let a batter hit out of the park every ball he connect with, and it may be fun to watch, but it doesn't enhance the game for the fans.

And soon it just becomes boring and expected.

Effort and accomplishment within the accepted guidelines is what makes it exciting. Same with effort and creativity in drum corps.