Amplification/Electronics: 2011 Season

My goodness... if Someone was stupid enough to actually "study" the physical properties of drum corps that make it exciting could you imagine the cookie cutter Mess drum corps would become?! (and to those of you who think its already cookie cuter (not me) imagine it even more so!)

Why do you think the majority of infomercials and media ads are all the same? Because someone studied what makes people buy things and look at the mess advertisements have become.

I appreciate ART (drum corps is art and pageantry) much LESS when I feel its being "calculated" and "manipulated" so that it can be appreciated by the masses.

Please understand that this doesn't mean that drum corps shouldn't do what people like but, to do so in such a "scientific" and "calculated" manner pretty much kills the experience for me. Then it feels like an infomercial telling me to "call now for this limited time offer..."

Did you happen to catch BD2010? Or, back to the original OP about adding singing as a major component to an instrumental activity?

My goodness... if Someone was stupid enough to actually "study" the physical properties of drum corps

I would suggest never taking a music theory course.

• Like 1

What do you mean?

Inferring shows that are "calculated" and "manipulated" to get a higher score rather than producing better "art".

I'm sure I'll love it!

...unless it sucks.

But, but, but what if 99% hate it and I love it?!

But, but, but what if 99% hate it and I love it?!

It's all about the kids. Why should how audiences receive performances matter in the slightest? It's not like ticket sales are actually a source of revenue for DCI.

Edited by Hrothgar15
  • Like 1

Man, such a font of misinformation with this, that I could not allow .... once again.... revisionist history to give the false impression here to newcomers to the activity that this false statement is accurate, when it fact it is not accurate at all.

The statement that " the OTL (off the line ) and exit drills were really aimed at nobody " is in fact totally false. These drills execution, ( or lack thereof ) were aimed at the judges. The drills were judged. If a Corps lines ( for example ) were not straight, or the step offs were not in unison, or the lines bended or wobbled or the spacing, intervals, cover, or what have you, were sub par, the Corps would definately suffer in both score and placement. From reading this statement above one would conclude that the OTL and " exit drills " were of no consequence " in scoring or placement and would be akin to a modern day DCI pre show before the judged performance. This would be untrue. So I just wanted to correct the poster here when he states that the OTL and the exit drills were " aimed at nobody ". As one who once judged ( and taught ) Corps OTL and exit drills, I can assure his readers that these drills ( that were part of the judged performance ) were most certainly NOT "really aimed at nobody ".

By 'aimed' I meant the direction the corps was moving and pointing at, not that it wasn't judged. Hardly 'revisionist' history. I too judged, taught and marched using those elements.

• Like 1