Amplification/Electronics: 2011 Season

i'm pretty sure i never said or implied it was.

Original quote from audiodb was "That doesn't surprise me. Speakers are very directional devices, more so than any other drum corps device". Not sure how you meant your response to be understood then.

... No one will argue that the "science" of the drum corps sound is what matters rather than the sound itself.

Actually, people (maybe even you) have been arguing precisely that (the science).

G bugles aren't scientifically superior in the drum corps context. Do we agree now? You might LIKE them better. But science doesn't PROVE they're better.

HH

• Like 1

that bell front brass instruments are very directional devices

LOL, but in a competing corps the bell fronts move so more people can hear the sound. Maybe we need 60+ amps that can chagne direction by remote control. :devil:

... In the "old days" we used to speak of "blowing the hair back" and "blowing the back off the stadium". It's a shame that newbies never experienced that, eh Hroth?

Speaking of science, I believe there is a scientific basis for this experience/conclusion - and it has nothing to do with G/Bb, changes in instructional approach or any other drum-corps-specific explanation. The scientific journals provide ample evidence of distortion in reference and memory. It is entirely possible, perhaps even likely, we'd be having this same discussion were corps still playing in G and in the style (and charts) of the 80s.

HH

Speaking of science, I believe there is a scientific basis for this experience/conclusion - and it has nothing to do with G/Bb, changes in instructional approach or any other drum-corps-specific explanation. The scientific journals provide ample evidence of distortion in reference and memory. It is entirely possible, perhaps even likely, we'd be having this same discussion were corps still playing in G and in the style (and charts) of the 80s.

HH

For the 2 valved era I'd go with style of playing and instruction. For anything before that I'd also go with the way the instruments were constructed. Don't know if the piston/rotor in my basement is any louder but it's easier to push air into it than my current 3v. Also the tone is different which IMO could affect how the sound (and it's volume) is heard.

please no, lol.

Yeah really, suddenly I had a vision of a shooting gallery at the Jersey beach.

"Hit the center of the moving speaker and win a prize"...

• Like 1

do you agree there is significant problems with designing a show like this? Do the people marching want to tour and perform in empty stadiums with 7 judges in the press box?

That's how shows have been designed as far back as my first year, 1964.

Marching band vs. drum corps sound? That's precisely my point. It's your taste that's important, not the science. If I could prove scientifically that drum corps sound is the same irrespective of key, you wouldn't like the G sound less, would you? I hope not. Taste, not science, is what matters.

HH

You can't. Overtone series for specific instruments are unique...that IS science. Face it, Drum Corps has nothing unique from Marching Band.