Amplification/Electronics: 2011 Season

I'll agree with that.

But is that a synth problem?

Or more of an issue of balancing to the corps when rehearsing outside for 90% of the season vs. performing indoors the other 10%?

Thunderous goo sounds just as bad outside as it does inside. But at least outside, you can hear the hornlines clearly. Actually, I take that back. A lot of hornline clarity is noticeably lost even from the pit amps it seems.

Edited by Hrothgar15
  • Like 1

Could also be because back then, amps were only allowed for pits. There was no synth usage allowed, so it was just the pit and voice. But do I really need to remind everyone about "Seasons of Love" and "Beat Generation"....?

please dear God, no. In fact, you never have to bring them up again

I'll agree with that.

But is that a synth problem?

Or more of an issue of balancing to the corps when rehearsing outside for 90% of the season vs. performing indoors the other 10%?

it can happen outdoors too

it can happen outdoors too

Ok, surely. Depending on where one is sitting and whatnot...

I'll be the first to admit that this years APDs from quarters were horrendous from a balance stand point. I would have a corps cranked in my car only to have my speakers distort and my brain bleed when a big "hit" arrived. It felt like my entire car was farting.

The CDs and DVDs balanced that out for the most part.

But the individual's initial impression is going to depend on where you're sitting in that particular indoor venue. I was at semis, down low, close to the 40 and shared Hroth's reaction to Bluecoats' show. It physically hurt.

Finals, I was up above the "high cam" on the 50 and really enjoyed it.

Ok, surely. Depending on where one is sitting and whatnot...

I'll be the first to admit that this years APDs from quarters were horrendous from a balance stand point. I would have a corps cranked in my car only to have my speakers distort and my brain bleed when a big "hit" arrived. It felt like my entire car was farting.

The CDs and DVDs balanced that out for the most part.

But the individual's initial impression is going to depend on where you're sitting in that particular indoor venue. I was at semis, down low, close to the 40 and shared Hroth's reaction to Bluecoats' show. It physically hurt.

Finals, I was up above the "high cam" on the 50 and really enjoyed it.

i moved around during semis. it pretty much sucked everywhere. and outside, it will only suck between the 40's for the most part, because the amps are aimed in, tho I know many people complained about Crown in terms of balance and goo in Allentown in 09 who weren't inside the 40's or down low

Let's put it this way, your horn line, and corps, would sound 1000x better without that synth covering up all the nice playing you worked on all year. Any time you drop to a mf dynamic level..forget it..the goo has utter domination.

I'd say that's a compliment, but then I realized it was pretty back-handed.... Let's put it this way, go listen to '09 Finals, a certain Copland show, and tell me if all you can hear is synth when the volume is under forte, which it is most of the show....

The funny part is people actually think that whatever "instrument" the thunderous goo is trying to emulate (nothing, really) could possibly blend into a brass ensemble. Sticks out like a sore thumb.

I'd say it depends on the patch used. Some synth patches can actually blend extremely well with the sound of the brass ensemble.

I'd say it depends on the patch used. Some synth patches can actually blend extremely well with the sound of the brass ensemble.

Any you particularly have in mind from this past year?

• Like 1

Let's put it this way, your horn line, and corps, would sound 1000x better without that synth covering up all the nice playing you worked on all year. Any time you drop to a mf dynamic level..forget it..the goo has utter domination.

Your assuming that a synth would even play when the corps is softer than a mf. But from my experience the synth only plays "loud" when its either a pit feature or a huge musical hit in the corps. If the corps is playing mf I don't have a hard time hearing all the "nice playing".

Ofcourse, if by thunderous goo you mean the echo in an indoor stadium I would have to agree with you. but thunderous goo created by a synth (not that I think it causes thunderous goo) does not inhibit atleasat my ability to hear the intricate playing at ALL dynamic levels.