Amplification/Electronics: 2011 Season

Fixed. Vocals of any kind in drum corps makes me gag, I've never one time heard it done in any way that benefited the program.

So would "This I Believe" have made any sense whatsoever if there were no vocals? What about the "I am Spartacus!" chants in 2008 from PR? How about The Cavaliers' number count in Frameworks? Or when SCV used to say "Vanguard!" somewhere in all their shows? So you're against any kind of vocals? Not just amplified? Because corps have been saying things in their shows for a very very long time!

Edited by crownisking
  • Like 1

"Amplified singing to be a major part of Cadets 2011 show"? Looks like George Hopkins really does take your fan mail to heart.

Ok, but isn't that part of what makes Mr. Hopkins so cool? The fact that he still does innovative, and yes, often controversial stuff just about every year, even when soooo many fans BEG him to be more conservative? I'm not saying everything the man has ever tried was perfect, or even a success, but I love The Cadets because of their ability to keep pushing the envelope, not like some "other" corps (I won't use names, that's not the point I'm trying to make) claim to do, when all they really do is the same safe-side, seen-a-million-times shows, just with a different title. I mean sure, they don't get the fans all ###### off, but are they really as exciting?

• Like 1

I'm just curious as to what the big deal in using a vocalist in productions is? I thought the singing done in Cadets 2006 was quite tasteful and at moments even hair raising. I mean, sure, it is a new element that many of us older fans aren't accustomed to but it opens up an entirely different element to the activity. Drum corps is primarily focused on entertaining the audiences, and I can't think of anything more exciting than seeing something brand new on the field done in a manner that would enhance a show, something I feel very confident the Cadets will be able to accomplish.

I'm very excited to see what the Cadets are going to do with this show and how they will incorporate the vocalist into it. All I ask is for you all is to give it a chance before you knock it.

That was written so well, I just cried a little. If there were just more fans like you, drum corps would be so much cooler because corps would be able to be as creative as they wanted and not have to worry about all the drum corps purists raising hell about it! WELL SAID!

• Like 1

Well, I think corps should do whatever they want. I confident that if woodwinds and singing was a bad a idea that not every corps would use them. Every corps is using electronics because electronics are amazing and add so many different colors and breadth of sound that was just not possible before. People against electronics are traditionalist and fail to see the actual advantages of having technology around.

Why can't we just accept that one corps will always be pushing the boundaries and poking people's buttons. Just say, "Oh the Cadets decide to add a string quartet this year? Okay whatever..." Because you know, we know, that no other corps has the guts to try something as suicidal as that. So, give the cadets the ability to test the waters with there unique ideas. Just accept it and watch another corps that isn't doing it, but no one needs to hate on them right?

The cadets will suffer their own consequences if their ideas are a success or not ON THE FIELD. But give it up to the cadets to risk everything to find "something" new to like/ enjoy in drum corps.

EXACTLY!!! I mean those of us who ARE still fans of The Cadets, aren't fans because of the "tradition" or the uniform, we're fans because of the INNOVATION! Personally, I love George Hopkins and wish like hell he was my high school band director! I'd kill to be able to study under that guy!

• Like 1

ya, but I'll bet Corps can pick the Children of Sanchez' parents.

Have you ever made a single serious post, Brasso?

• Like 1

That was written so well, I just cried a little. If there were just more fans like you, drum corps would be so much cooler because corps would be able to be as creative as they wanted and not have to worry about all the drum corps purists raising hell about it! WELL SAID!

Actually, IMO drum corps purists would welcome things like amps, electronics and vocals, both micced and unmicced. The history of drum corps has been about innovation and stretching the boundaries of marching/music, at least since MY first show in 1964.

Do those things always 'work'? No, just like every show in the 60's, 70's, 80's....etc...did not work. Just like every Broadway show doesn't 'work' (e.g. look at the situation "Spiderman..." is in) while some run forever (e.g. "Phantom..."). Any creative activity will have successes and failures. Doesn't mean you have to pull back from the attempts.

• Like 1

Actually, IMO drum corps purists would welcome things like amps, electronics and vocals, both micced and unmicced. The history of drum corps has been about innovation and stretching the boundaries of marching/music, at least since MY first show in 1964.

Do those things always 'work'? No, just like every show in the 60's, 70's, 80's....etc...did not work. Just like every Broadway show doesn't 'work' (e.g. look at the situation "Spiderman..." is in) while some run forever (e.g. "Phantom..."). Any creative activity will have successes and failures. Doesn't mean you have to pull back from the attempts.

Perhaps. I guess it would really depend on one's definition of a "drum corps purist." When I think of one, I think of the person who hates (in short) just about everything about today's shows because they incorporate modern music, technology, fashion trends, and really everything else that doesn't mirror drum corps of 30 years ago. To me, a drum corps purist is someone who wants the activity to stay the same as it was in what ever period they became a fan.

• Like 1

Perhaps. I guess it would really depend on one's definition of a "drum corps purist." When I think of one, I think of the person who hates (in short) just about everything about today's shows because they incorporate modern music, technology, fashion trends, and really everything else that doesn't mirror drum corps of 30 years ago. To me, a drum corps purist is someone who wants the activity to stay the same as it was in what ever period they became a fan.

What is funny is that those from "30 years ago" who want the activity to stay as it was when they started seem to forget how different it was from 30 years prior to that (1980-2010 vs 1950-1980).

• Like 1

Any creative activity will have successes and failures. Doesn't mean you have to pull back from the attempts.

I think that most drumcorps fans - even the most curmudgeonly (including me) - agree with you on this. However, where we disagree is the definition of "successes" and "failures". In many people's opinion, electronics has been one of the failures.

• Like 2

What is funny is that those from "30 years ago" who want the activity to stay as it was when they started seem to forget how different it was from 30 years prior to that (1980-2010 vs 1950-1980).

Convenient, isn't it? Bottom line: without change, growth, innovation, drum corps would have died years ago. I'm 100% sure of it. Thank God for people like George Hopkins who don't let what fans say deter him from being creative!!!

• Like 1