What's the deal with singing?!

71 members have voted

1. 1. How much do you mind singing during a drum corps show, assuming it is designed well and performed perfectly (even as short as 15 seconds long!)?

• 0 - Not at all. I'd still like it.
    • 3 - It's a bit annoying but not terrible. I still enjoy the show.
    • 5 - Pretty annoying. Almost ruins the show for me but I manage to look past it.
    • 7 - It's ruining the show for me. I try to look past it but I can't.
    • 10 - I hate it. The show is COMPLETELY ruined for me.
    • 11 - I'm personally offended by the use of singing. I hate the corps for using it in their show. I will boo very loudly.

Yea... so... What's the deal with singing?! It's not a big deal!! People getting so worked up over it and it's not even a big deal!!

Note to OP: When fashioning a Survey Question, "leading the results" with phrases such as "how much do you hate fat people?" is not the best way to stimulate a unprejudiced response. :blink:

How's this?: How do you view singing during a drum corps show, assuming it is designed well and performed perfectly (even as short as 15 seconds long!)?

:ph34r: I prefer no voice at all. And no electronics but that's another tired subject. :ph34r:
  • Like 1

Might want to be more specific with your question. I've hated every use of "amplified voice", whether it be spoken or sung, by every corps that's tried it. Cadets '08 was an absolute abomination. Couldn't sit through it, can't bear to watch it now (though, clips that show the corps when there's no voice are awesome - the corps was tremendously talented. Worst show ever inflicted on a top corps).

On the other hand, with no amplification, voice on the field has pretty much always been really cool, from Garfield Cadets "Amen" (for which they were penalized) through Spartacus and last year's Cavies "This is my rifle", and everything in between.

Just pull the plug.

• Like 2

My problem is not the singer but...

THE DESIGNER.

If this is the only way to express yourself in DCI you have run out of idea's.

They should be smarter than that.

This sums up my feelings on every show that's ever had narration. If you need a narrator to explain your show, you've failed as a show designer. Either the show was unfathomable without the narration, or it was easily understandable (think Crown's horse race at the end of triple crown, or the dance contest by that blue team) and the narration was entirely unnecessary - ruining what should have been a great moment.

PS Don't blame the kids, show design decisions are never their fault.

On the other hand, with no amplification, voice on the field has pretty much always been really cool, from Garfield Cadets "Amen" (for which they were penalized) through Spartacus and last year's Cavies "This is my rifle", and everything in between.

Just pull the plug.

Hear! Hear!

• Like 1

Depends on what kind of singing. I don't really care for amplified soloists.

I don't mind group corps singing such as what was done in Cadets' '84 or Freelancers of yore.

I didn't mind Bluecoats sampled singing in their show last year.

I've hated pretty much every other example of amplified singing DCI has offered.

It sort of ruins the show even though I try to look past it. It's simply something that doesn't fit into the drum corps idiom.

Perhaps marching band can keep that since they allow any instrumentation.

Yea... so... What's the deal with singing?! It's not a big deal!! People getting so worked up over it and it's not even a big deal!!

I have no idea how the singing voice is judged in the DCI show. One presumes that the judge that has this judging responsibility to judge the singer(s) soloist(s) has had extensive voice training and/or experience... or is a performing singer themselves. Then again, it's probably the same as ( for one example) the judging of the profiency of the rock guitar soloist. We just naturally presume that at least one of the judges in the show has had experience and training in the proficient use of the rock guitar, probably at the University training level, or they perform with the rock guitar themselves, along with the usual brass( or percussion) instrument training and experience they've had.

Edited by BRASSO