Rivals

I think you should re think your statement, talent has very little to do with the ability to read music. Buddy Rich didn't read music, would you say he didn't understand his instrument. There are plenty of cats who could read the hell out of a chart but had the timing of a rock and therefore didn't accomplish much.

i stand by my statement. i agree that some cats couldn't read and were successful but frank that is not the norm. sometimes and not that often natural talent works well. but not that often. true timming has a lot to do with it but the ability to read makes for a much better player. when you can read it takes a lot less time to learn a chart. that's just a fact.

i stand by my statement. i agree that some cats couldn't read and were successful but frank that is not the norm. sometimes and not that often natural talent works well. but not that often. true timming has a lot to do with it but the ability to read makes for a much better player. when you can read it takes a lot less time to learn a chart. that's just a fact.

The fact is for a very long time in drumcorps, it was the norm. Most of the guys I marched with when I was young didn't read yet because of good memories and the ability to understand rythym were able to learn and play charts pretty quickly. I also marched with people who though they read music well took a lot longer to memorize because they couldn't get past the paper.

That music reading is a great tool and makes things easier, I have no argument. That you have to read music to be in the Hall of Fame is BS. Accomplishments on the field of competition and giving to the activity is a much more important criteria for induction.

Edited by Fastone
  • Like 1

The fact is for a very long time in drumcorps, it was the norm. Most of the guys I marched with when I was young didn't read yet because of good memories and the ability to understand rythym were able to learn and play charts pretty quickly. I also marched with people who though they read music well took a lot longer to memorize because they couldn't get past the paper.

That music reading is a great tool and makes things easier, I have no argument. That you have to read music to be in the Hall of Fame is BS. Accomplishments on the field of competition and giving to the activity is a much more important criteria for induction.

if i said that for you have to be in the hall you have to read then i didn't make myself clear. but i will tell you this and you can flame on me all you want ........there are people in there that don't belong. and if you want pm me and i'll give you one name that i know shouldn't be there.

So, in the interest of bringing the topic back on topic. Here are my selections of biggest rivalries by region:

Northeast:

Hurcs and Cabs

South:

Corpsvets and Alliance

Midwest:

MBI and Govies

West:

Renegades and SoCal Dream

Non-region rivals:

Bucs and MBI

Corpsvets and Bushwackers

Fusion Core and Grennies

I am probably way off on a lot of these, but these seemed logical to me based on my categories.

So, in the interest of bringing the topic back on topic. Here are my selections of biggest rivalries by region:

Northeast:

Hurcs and Cabs

South:

Corpsvets and Alliance

Midwest:

MBI and Govies

West:

Non-region rivals:

Bucs and MBI

Corpsvets and Bushwackers

Fusion Core and Grennies

I am probably way off on a lot of these, but these seemed logical to me based on my categories.

Just realized that my Fusion Grennies pick could have gone underneath the Northeast category.

that shows you what a crock the hall of fame is. how can you not b read music and be in the hall.

Did Wes Hobby read music?

He's in the Hall of Fame... and very much deservedly so.

• Like 1

when you can read it takes a lot less time to learn a chart. that's just a fact.

That is not just a fact, it's just your opinion.

that shows you what a crock the hall of fame is. how can you not b read music and be in the hall. sorry but if ya can't read then your just going thru the motions. this guy you speak of dosen't understand the instrument. he just play's it.

oh so sorry my friend. he has reasons why he can't read music, and the HOF is no joke. And this man has done a lot for drum corps, both as a musician and on the admin side of things.

I know a jazz drummer who cant read a lick of music, but the beauty he can pull out of a kit blows away anything I could ever do, and I started reading music at 6. Nowhere was it written you have to read music to be a great musician. Too often, being able to read music gets a person labeled as a robot, someone who can't feel.

and the mello player who cant read sure as hell can feel. That's how he's adapted to all of the changes in drum corps for 50 years now.

you can stand by it, but hey, if you want to live that lie, go for it.

and IMO, this is why "music snobs" in drum corps get made fun of.

• Like 1

West:

I wish there were more West Coast viewpoints on this topic, but being one...

We have 6 weeks where we cant score, even though we end in 2nd or 3rd place at the time of our last shows. So we watch the East Coast for 6 weeks, and then know, we have to "bring it" at Prelims. And not suck. So the focus for me, personally, was putting forth an effort all season to march the best show possible. Bring the best show possible to DCA and wowing people that had no chance to see us before. IMO, again, not so much rivalry. We compete on the field in DCI All Age Division, sure....but I guess its more of competing against ourselves than anything else..and time.

We have other hurdles as well. We perform at 5pm out here. Its a 100 degrees...especially at Riverside, Stockton, and San Jose. You get dehydrated and you get parched in the desert heat. We almost never get a start time with sun remotely close to the horizon unless its our home show. We might have small crowds to perform too. But... you know, we love every minute of it, even if we have those mountains to climb.

The memorable parts for me are not so much rivalry, but what we do for each other. Personally, being able to watch Gades show from the track at their home show was a highlight. Seeing Freelancers Alums play at the Impulse show last year...was another. Performing our show for Renegades at our home show while they were on the track..That was another. The beach thing last year, where we got together and gave Santa Monica a taste of drum corps. We had warm ups together at shows. We partied together after shows. And the six degrees of seperation that is Freelancers, Dream, and Gades...you always have friends in other corps.

Again not so much a rivalry, but just a good place and good times to march.