Still Impressed?

Right this is what I want to know more about. Are corps running out of "harder" things to do? Does the judging criteria allow corps to push the limits of what is possible? Have we hit a plateau at how difficult things are on the field.

Is difficulty even important anymore? Do we just want to hear loud Bflat chord and familiar melody line (things that are relatively easy) instead of a risky drill move or musical moment?

For me, I want more drum corps to take Risks... Big risks. And I want them to take risks that people KNOW are risk, not hiding it or anything. Make the show risky and then accomplish the hell out of it!!!!

Drum corps needs more risk... i think...

i'm with you on this one. I think difficulty isn't rewarded the way it used to be, I think it's become a different kind of difficulty. Back even just a few years ago, the speed of your drill dictated difficulty, now it's how much body movement and props you can use while either not playing, or playing chords.... that's become what's rewarded, and I think it's a problem. I think until judges stop rewarding that kind of stuff, and reward more of the classically accepted difficulty, things won't change. I want to be impressed, and I want to impress people with the things my and the other kids in corps are doing at the same time. I want to be able to watch the DVD in November, and think, "Holy ****, I DID that? WOW!"

• Like 1

(by "impress" I mean: shocked, excited, blown away, surprised, stunned? (all in the positive sense))

After 38 years of DCI drum corps are you still impressed? Do you think its harder for corps to impress fans each year as people come to "expect" certain things? Things that wowed us yesterday are now old news today? This goes beyond just being creative but actually creating NEW moments that people have never seen.

What would REALLY impress you next year in a drum corps show?

Yes, I have no doubts that drum corps will continue to impress me with both design and performance quality. Every year at least some corps comes out and does something that blows me away, and I don't see anything to change that in the near future. I honestly think you have to be pretty jaded and stubborn to not be impressed with at least the performances achieved by the top couple of corps.

As for what would really impress me, I don't know. To be honest, if I could think of exactly what would impress me it wouldn't impress me too much: I vastly prefer to see things I'd never even thought about before. To be honest, nothing makes me happier as a drum corps fan than seeing things I've never fathomed being performed.

• Like 1

Your movies have an intermission?! When was the last time you went to the movies? To see Casablanca?

Of course, Casablanca (1942) didn't have an intermission, as it ran less than two hours. It was only regular for films of more than two-and-a-half hours' length to have one, and such films were uncommon before the 1950s. By the 1990s, only films that ran well over three hours (e.g., Gettysburg, Hamlet) would have them. As fsubone observes, they have been all but abandoned these days, even though films are much longer now, on average, than they were in the 1950s and 1960s, the heyday of the intermission. Curiously, intermissions remain common in the legitimate theatre for plays running as short as two hours. Here's to theatre and drum corps, which respect the audience's biological needs!

Of course, Casablanca (1942) didn't have an intermission, as it ran less than two hours. It was only regular for films of more than two-and-a-half hours' length to have one, and such films were uncommon before the 1950s. By the 1990s, only films that ran well over three hours (e.g., Gettysburg, Hamlet) would have them. As fsubone observes, they have been all but abandoned these days, even though films are much longer now, on average, than they were in the 1950s and 1960s, the heyday of the intermission. Curiously, intermissions remain common in the legitimate theatre for plays running as short as two hours. Here's to theatre and drum corps, which respect the audience's biological needs!

Part of the reason for intermissions during older movies was because of the technology of the time. They did not have machines that could advance the film rolls over, so they had to be changed manually on longer films, which led to the need for the intermissions. As projector technology advanced, and film rolls became smaller format and could carry larger amounts of data, intermissions weren't needed as often, only on films which did run too long for the newer film roll, i.e. Gettysburg, Gods and Generals, Hamlet, etc. With the new digital projectors and films, intermissions are mostly not needed anymore as they can run the entire film in one quick block.

With theatre, the reason for the intermissions is of course to allow for larger set changes, costume changes, and cast changes.

Well D***

Well then you're obviously not that someone, now are you?

Your movies have an intermission?! When was the last time you went to the movies? To see Casablanca?

I could be that " someone ". But maybe not. It just might be a case of mistaken identity, who knows. (I meant to say " theatre " above not "movies " )

Is " Casablanca " back in the movie theatres in your area ? That's a pretty good chick movie to take a date to.

Edited by BRASSO

I could be that " someone ". But maybe not. It just might be a case of mistaken identity, who knows. (I meant to say " theatre " above not "movies " )

Is " Casablanca " back in the movie theatres in your area ? That's a pretty good chick movie to take a date to.

A good old fashion sarcasm-off.

Well played...

For me, I want more drum corps to take Risks... Big risks. And I want them to take risks that people KNOW are risk, not hiding it or anything. Make the show risky and then accomplish the hell out of it!!!!

I've been a bit concerned about this particular thinking for a while - not you, individually, but drum corps in general.

I have no problem with risks, but we're talking about mixed age drum corps with many bodies that are not done growing yet. There are always risks in physical activities (many sporting events, for example). However, I do not believe that every corps out there putting people at risk every day are doing so in full knowledge of the body mechanics involved. Having people who are trained in dance or sport movement is just fine, except the members that you are dealing with athletes or dancers a lot of the time.

Risk is fine - just cover your bases, please, drum corps.

Right this is what I want to know more about. Are corps running out of "harder" things to do? Does the judging criteria allow corps to push the limits of what is possible? Have we hit a plateau at how difficult things are on the field.

Is difficulty even important anymore? Do we just want to hear loud Bflat chord and familiar melody line (things that are relatively easy) instead of a risky drill move or musical moment?

the way judging has gone lately, fast marching, props, and esoteric music have been the "safe" way to go...amps, narration...guitars...it's obvious by some of the crap that's been put out that it's not penalizing corps that use the "new, evolving" items of drum corps in a less than satisfactory or pleasing manner. (hissing, pops, trite sophomoric narration, over volumed pits, malfunctions, doubling of brass parts, etc.)

the only true way to raise risk would be to actually play notes while marching fast...or maybe playing a rich, emotional melody that a higher percentage of the crowd might enjoy...or...dare I say it....drop the electric and the Bb! That, my friends is risk...

Answer this question...if BD had performed their 2010 show with no electric, mirrors, and on G bugles, and they performed to the same high level as they actually did at finals, would they have won?

Edited by skewerz
  • Like 1