Scientific Methods of Studying Audience Reaction in Drum Corps

How many times am I going to have to explain the concept of a "distribution" in this topic? Perhaps I should be more patient in that few people are coming from the same background.

Of course something like this would be confusing when viewed in the light of a completely binary, yes or no result. Very few meaningful studies look anything like that. There's always a wide range, the distribution is what's important. That's why quantitative data, while elusive in this case, is so crucial.

Speak slower and louder. That usually works.

I'm saying in that moment in particular, taste does not play a significant role. (By taste I mean, within drum corps; obviously the people that don't like drum corps for whatever reason won't have the same reaction).

I'm guessing that the people who don't like drum corps for whatever reason probably weren't even at that show.

That's just me though.

I don't like Gwar. So I don't go to their concerts or buy their albums.

• Like 1

I think you're missing the point entirely, along with most responders in this thread.

The results of this research would simply be a guideline. Show designers already have numerous tools available for use in the repertoire to generate effect (some, I feel, haven't been used in years and deserve a return). This would simply provide results to add the toolbox, and maybe reevaluate what's already in it.

I'm not proposing some radical idea here by any stretch, but most seem to be turned off by the mere thought of the implications of such a study. It must have something to do with people refusing to accept just how mechanistic and analyzable these reactions can be.

Or maybe they think your idea is just.........

It's drum corps. Stop thinking so hard. You're going to hurt yourself.

Or at least just look pedantic on a Jeff Goldblum level. And no one really wants to talk to that guy. They never get a word in edge wise, and when they do it's met with a condescending "no i'm still right".

Wait....could that be, perhaps, why no one is seriously responding to the OP? hmmmmmmmm..............

• Like 3

Or maybe they think your idea is just.........

It's drum corps. Stop thinking so hard. You're going to hurt yourself.

Or at least just look pedantic on a Jeff Goldblum level. And no one really wants to talk to that guy. They never get a word in edge wise, and when they do it's met with a condescending "no i'm still right".

Wait....could that be, perhaps, why no one is seriously responding to the OP? hmmmmmmmm..............

spot on...drum corps is not the end all or be all of existence. It's close, but not end all or be all...I mean...there's still girls, right?

• Like 1

Still very confused. Maybe I'm more used to thinking in this mindset (and no, I've never "hurt" myself from thinking), but I fail to see how thinking outside the box and wanting to attempt something completely different, and see where it leads, is such a destestable idea

I'm glad we've rightfully ignored people who've said, "It's just literature. Stop thinking so hard!"

• Like 1

Still very confused. Maybe I'm more used to thinking in this mindset (and no, I've never "hurt" myself from thinking), but I fail to see how thinking outside the box and wanting to attempt something completely different, and see where it leads, is such a destestable idea

I'm glad we've rightfully ignored people who've said, "It's just literature. Stop thinking so hard!"

Some people are just wired differently, and when they get passionate about something, they view it more analytically. Nothing wrong with that. What seems to irk some people is that you appear, from past threads, to have a bit of an agenda here. Just like some people dislike Hopkins because they think he has some sort of agenda antithetical to their own views.

Hang in there, Hrothy. You'll find something most people can agree on eventually.

• Like 3

Take heart, Hrothy.

It appears that art and science mix about as well as religion and politics, or business and non-profits.

And I'd bet the majority of the people who frequent DCP are arts, musician-type people (myself excluded, professionally).

Edited by garfield

An analog between your ideas for "analyzing" music and "analysis" of literature would be reduced to calculating how many grams of ink and paper the book is made up of.

Please don't try applying what you're talking about to literary analysis which is completely anathema to anything you're talking about in this thread.

• Like 3

An analog between your ideas for "analyzing" music and "analysis" of literature would be reduced to calculating how many grams of ink and paper the book is made up of.

Why?

• Like 1