When woodwinds are added....

Will the world end on December 12, 2012? NO.

But what if it does? I see the events set in motion by power-and-money-hungry Hop & Gibbs as the type of stuff you see on the History Channel on their "end of days" programs. Woodwinds would definately be Four Horsemen material.

In all seriousness, IF woodwinds are added (again, thread titles stating stuff as fact...) I see a split happening almost immediately. Those That Will Use Them vs. Those That Won't. Don't know which side of the fence DCI would come down on, but drum corps, as defined by brass/drums/guard will endure.

Just may not be with the Cadets or Blue Devils.

Here is a truism for me personally: I came from a high school that had a very poor marching band; and even though I was aware of the great BOA type bands (MBA back then), I knew that I could never be a part of one of those units due to participation being based on specific school enrollment. Therefore when I saw my first DCI show I fell in love with the "quality" of the groups in DCI, "not" the fact that they happened to be drum and bugle corps. I was like a a little league baseball kid who is only accustomed to playing stick-ball becoming aware of the MLB for the first time! Therefore, if what I had seen out on that field in competition that summer evening were high caliber independent non-school affiliated marching bands from all over the country, I would not have cared if their were woodwinds; in fact the thought would have never occurred to me that "those dang blasted instruments are a perversion to the activity". Nope! I still would have driven those many miles to a city that I never knew existed to audition fo a high quality group; I still would have been elated when I was accepted as a member; and still would be full of wonderful memories of being able to perform all over the nation with something of that high quality level. Now go ahead and make my day!!! Give me all of those nanan-booboo red negatives!!!

• Like 1

Here is a truism for me personally: I came from a high school that had a very poor marching band; and even though I was aware of the great BOA type bands (MBA back then), I knew that I could never be a part of one of those units due to participation being based on specific school enrollment. Therefore when I saw my first DCI show I fell in love with the "quality" of the groups in DCI, "not" the fact that they happened to be drum and bugle corps. I was like a a little league baseball kid who is only accustomed to playing stick-ball becoming aware of the MLB for the first time! Therefore, if what I had seen out on that field in competition that summer evening were high caliber independent non-school affiliated marching bands from all over the country, I would not have cared if their were woodwinds; in fact the thought would have never occurred to me that "those dang blasted instruments are a perversion to the activity". Nope! I still would have driven those many miles to a city that I never knew existed to audition fo a high quality group; I still would have been elated when I was accepted as a member; and still would be full of wonderful memories of being able to perform all over the nation with something of that high quality level. Now go ahead and make my day!!! Give me all of those nanan-booboo red negatives!!!

truth.jpg

• Like 1

I think the better question is...

...what happens after that?

Good question; but I honestly believe it's not going to happen and that any desire on the part of anyone who might propose it is not there, especially now that the same sounds can be generated electronically. I was in on at least most of the discussion at the last rules congress when it was brought up and there was so little traction the proposal never made it past the caucus sessions.

If we need to fret over something, I suggest we pick things that are far more likely, such as the cost of fuel hitting $5.00 a gallon as some have predicted.

It will be called drum corps for a long time, as a respect to tradition. Similar to using the term Contra now. The membership keeps this alive, because even I tend to use the term Tuba more often, and I'm pretty old school.

For it to change permanently, it will take a monumental effort, starting at the top: DCI will have to change, lol.

And it just might.

I don't care; I'm all for woodwinds. For me, electronics is a bigger turn off, but only because it's being misused often, and still rewarded.

Drum Corps = unparalleled excellence. (the schedule allows for it)

Marching Band = lots of non-excellence (yes there are good ones, but even the best would not make DCI finals on the same sheet criterion)

Note that the instrumentation is not mentioned in either definition.

It will be called drum corps for a long time, as a respect to tradition. Similar to using the term Contra now. The membership keeps this alive, because even I tend to use the term Tuba more often, and I'm pretty old school.

For it to change permanently, it will take a monumental effort, starting at the top: DCI will have to change, lol.

And it just might.

I don't care; I'm all for woodwinds. For me, electronics is a bigger turn off, but only because it's being misused often, and still rewarded.

Marching Band = lots of non-excellence (yes there are good ones, but even the best would not make DCI finals on the same sheet criterion)

Reason on DCP ! The world truly *is* coming to an end.

FWIW the only disagreement I have with the above is WW's. I don't think they're practical for drum corps (although they might appear in the pit).

I wouldn't really care either way, 'cause I'd be on to something else to fill my summer with.

Ditto.

And it just might.

Pretty old school, meaning you haven't adjusted to today's style of drum corps. Synths and electronics are a great addition to drum corps. The pit can WAY more musical and we actually have to be clean now, instead of just ramming dirty 16th note runs like they did in the 90s and before that. Syths added a new direction for some of the groups. Look at the Bluecoats, they use the synths to add different effects and combine sounds with a brass instruments. Electronics play a big role in drum corps now and will continue to in the future, even though some people still fail to realize it.

Btw, marching band doesn't use the same schedule as drum corps does, they don't practice for full/half days for 3 1/2 months. However, I don't want woodwinds in drum corps....ever. DCI would lose a fan and member.

Here is the weird part to me: Hopkins claims that he wants to figure out a way to "lower" costs. Yet he proposes to add instruments which are very delicate, very fragile, need consent attention from a repair tech, need frequent pad changes/adjustments, and will go through hundreds of expensive reeds each week. Has he even thought about how much all of that will cost a corps each season?

Great point, and if a bunch of sax's, oboes, and clarinet's get rained on even one time the pads are jacked and dry up and crack, HUGE expense to maintain those instruments over a summer's time.