When woodwinds are added....

it is nothing to worry about because woodwinds will NEVER be a part of DCI. I will bet my life on it.

it is nothing to worry about because woodwinds will NEVER be a part of DCI. I will bet my life on it.

Careful there. There were quite a few of us here in DCPland, myself included, who said the same exact thing word for word about a&e a few years ago. Look where we are now.

Edited by skajerk

If the unthinkable happens and woodwinds are allowed unfettered, will it still be referred to as drum corps or will it just join the ranks of marching band. If you would argue it is still drum corps, what then is the ultimate defining difference between the two if not woodwinds?

George Hopkins.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Careful there. There were quite a few of us here in DCPland, myself included, who said the same exact thing word for word about a&e a few years ago. Look where we are now.

oh no. i may go to fewer shows now, and even took a few years off, but I won't pay if woodwinds are there

If the unthinkable happens and woodwinds are allowed unfettered, will it still be referred to as drum corps or will it just join the ranks of marching band. If you would argue it is still drum corps, what then is the ultimate defining difference between the two if not woodwinds?

my signature is my response

it will be completely the same.

Did you reply to the right post, Jeff? I was responding to Colby's post.

Did you reply to the right post, Jeff? I was responding to Colby's post.

yep I did.

Hmmmm ….. Let us analyze the name of the activity to see if the title is currently accurate before we jump on woodwinds shall we: Drum & Bugle Corps

Corps: A group of persons associated together or acting under common direction. <http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/corps>

Bugle: A valveless brass instrument that resembles a trumpet and is used for military calls. <http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bugle>

Drum: A percussion instrument consisting of a hollow shell or cylinder with a drum head stretched over one or both ends that is beaten with the hands or with some implement. <http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/drum>

Back in the early to mid part of the 20th century the activity began to use brass with rotors/valves (a brass instrument but by definition “not” a bugle), bells (a percussion instrument but by definition “not” a drum), and Color Guard (not even in the title). So, before we get all huffy about woodwinds changing the activity, please understand that before most of us were even born the proper title of the activity should have been changed to: Percussion, Color Guard, & Brass Corps.